PDA

View Full Version : Lures for Jacks

Heath
05-10-2001, 03:57 PM
Guys,

I am wanting to put another mile stone under my belt & that being to catch a Jack on a lure.

So what lures do you fellow Jack fisherman use?

Jim_Linden
05-10-2001, 04:48 PM
Heath,
Wish I could help you, but I'm looking for the same answer myself. Catching my first Jack is high on the agenda for this summer.

But, while we're talking about lures, what lures do you use for the Mackerel. Everyone is talking about their imminent appearance up here and, knowing you to be a Mackerel afficionado, I'd be interested to know what you have found to be a proven Mac-killer.

Cheers
Jim Linden

Fitzy
05-10-2001, 05:02 PM
Hi Heath,
I ain't no jack legend but I look at the water depth I'm working & try to use something that gets down to around 2/3 to the bottom. That is of course in local rivers/creeks/canals.
Bit different story up north I've found. Jacks can & will sit alot closer to surface up there in more pristine waters as opposed to those in around Gold Coast/SE Qld.

fitz

imported_admin
05-10-2001, 05:51 PM
Heath

The lure I prefer to use is the Tilsan Barra in Mango or Toucan colours. My second choice is the Killalure Flatz Rat colour 04.

Brett_Finger
06-10-2001, 02:19 AM
Heath,
ok here goes,with jack the choice of lure will be decided greatly by the water you are fishing,eg;water depth,water clarity,were you are fishing for them(what part of the country) troll or casting ect.... :)
so considering these variables i'll throw some suggestions to you.
for casting snags that drop from the bank and shallower rocks bars,no doubt the Tillson range is my personal faveriote,clours that have been sucessful are Green,Brown,Toucan but by far the greatest sucess has been with the Fingerling and Herring pattens, these are a natural baitfish clour.
if water is dirty try the toucan!
another great feature of this range is the nutrell boyancy of the lure allowing you to suspend it into snags with minimal amount of retrival,thus give you plenty of time in the fishes "strike zone"
with these and all species of fish jacks have different zones, the most fun being the strike zone ;D ;D
if the water is hot and the fish are on,if the water is cold and there not on. drop a artifical or bait on there nose and it WILL BE SLAMED.
back to warm water,
if the lure is droped out of this zone but is close then it's in the comfort zone,this will have the fish swarming over the lure trying to decide weather to nail the thing or let it live,and sometimes thay take a while to decide.
in the summer mounths i have had many many Jack going off at the boat trying to nail the lure,waiting till the last minute to strike,this makes for hart stopping sight fishing!!!!!!
and arm wrenching fun,considering you have the drag up tight for the snag fishing ;D ;D ;D

if casting snags still that drop into deeper water then try the Reidys Range of lures particualy the Golburn jack style, this great desighn allows the lure to dive faily quickly and track parallel to the snag/rock bank, the M2 clour is a good design to start with.
the highly boyant design of these also you to "walk" the lure through the structure,allowing you to dive it into the back of the trees and float it up to twich it into the next section of the snag and dive it again.
this lure is also great for trolling deeper water as it will dive to 18-20 feet and with it's big bib allows virtually snag free trolling thruough the rocks ;D
this clour(M2) has been highley sucessful in dirty water,in water to quaote Harro..." A Might To Dirty To Plow" i think was the saying.

and last but not least, you and try jigging the structure,personally i LOVE the Junior Prawn-Star!!!
jigging this little fella into the back of a snag or alongside a pylon is totally good fun 8)
when working this great lure alongside posts/pylons ect... simply back of your drag and "feed" the line off the reel down the structure,as most times you will be NAILED ON THE DROP,
always have the thumb standing by for thumb locking purpose!!
with snags, these lures are virtually snag free fishing.cast the lure into the back of the snag,engage the reel then once again feed the line off the reel being ready to enploy the thumbs :o
when you feel the lure hit the bottom simply jig it at various heights allowing it to drop back to bottom,this has been termed.."Tea-Bagging" the lure.
with the virtual snag free style of this lure, you can as with the others "Walk" the thing into each section of the structure,rembering to feed the line off the spool as opposed
to free-spoling the thing to the bottom.

i hope this is of some help to you in your quest to nailing one of the greatest sports fish this country has on offer!!!!
Hookin, Brett Finger (The Big Fella)

Heath
06-10-2001, 10:49 AM
Heath,
Wish I could help you, but I'm looking for the same answer myself. Catching my first Jack is high on the agenda for this summer.

But, while we're talking about lures, what lures do you use for the Mackerel. Everyone is talking about their imminent appearance up here and, knowing you to be a Mackerel afficionado, I'd be interested to know what you have found to be a proven Mac-killer.

Cheers
Jim Linden

We only use lures for Spotted Mackeral. Our favourite is the 60 gram model "Raider", with silver glitter. The other is the Laser lure, that we use on rare occassions, when raiders don't seem to do the Job. Of the times that we have had to use lasers, pink & blue glitter's have been the success. We do not troll for mackeral, we are at anchor. I havn't got a Spaniard on a lure as yet, this is another of my goals this summer. ;)

The setup for Spots that we use, when spinning for them, is a Shimano TSS 4 loaded with a small diameter line, such as Wilson line. The rod, is a Ug Stick, BWS 1609. We have another TSS4 that we bought when they were on special & I plan to marry this to a Wilson Live Fibre 8ft 10kg Spin stick, with brain or some other alternative line, to see how it goes.

Slates
06-10-2001, 11:00 AM
G'day Heath.
I've only caught a handfull on lures - most of my jack have been on livies. ::)

Anyway, trolling the Walker river (mainland Aus) once when visiting Groote Eylandt (NT). We only got 2 jack for the trip - both on a 4 inch killalure.

I've had a few on casting a Tilsan diver, but straightened the hooks (I know - I should've known better. Sort of a spur of the moment decision to cast it out) :o

The only other 2 I've taken were both on a killalure Flatz Rat - blue + white.

I reckon you see a fair few pics with them and gold bombers too - yet to try one myself though.

I'll be up your way this November for a crack at the jack - can't wait!

Cheers, Slates

adrian
07-10-2001, 02:40 PM
like most i'm still trying to nail my first but the boys from inshore offshore are trying pink or bright colours results are good :D keep them small and deep . strange i know but it does work

Jack_Lives_Here
18-10-2001, 12:30 PM
Heath,

I totally agree with anzac. I get jack fever every summer. Reidy's little lucifers and flatz rats 10's are what I do best with, but you gotta be down there with them or your'e not in the race. Go down one size in treble on the front with the flatz ratz and you can dance it out of the ugliest snags. Make sure you use good strong trebles and splits - they are hard on lures. I've got some that have only caught 1/2 dozen fish and they are gouged and stripped of their original colours.

dazza
18-10-2001, 01:59 PM
I find it hard to go past the tilsan barra. I am far from being an expert. I put bigger trebles on the lure which makes it sink a treat. I find you can bash it through the snags and hang on. Has any one tried the sinking rapalas? I reckon they might go OK as well.
dazza

BOMBER
26-11-2001, 03:54 PM
Hi Heath,

Well I am definitely not in the class of Brett Finger when it comes to jack but have caught quite a few after fishing with Brett on a few occassions would have to agree that the Tilsan range in the colours mentioned are a great lure, In my home waters here on Bribie Island most of my fishing is no deeper than 10 to 12 feet I use the lures above only for cast and retrieve but if unsuccessful in this mode troll useing Manns 10+ in Mullet colour, Red Head Gold Body, and Blue body Yellow Belly, these seem to work for me very well.

Regards,

THE BOMBER

reelcrazy
29-11-2001, 09:19 PM
"But, while we're talking about lures, what lures do you use for the Mackerel. Everyone is talking about their imminent appearance up here and, knowing you to be a Mackerel afficionado, I'd be interested to know what you have found to be a proven Mac-killer.

Cheers
Jim Linden"

The Yo-zuri Metallic Sardine is one of the best mack killers around, make sure to give it a coat of light clear epoxy before using.

They have a plastic sleeve sweated onto the lure body, and this tends to get chewed.

The green works best for me.

aussiebasser
30-11-2001, 06:07 PM
G'day Heath, as something of a Jack expert, I caught one once, I can safely say that my most productive lure is a Gold Storm Thunderstick, (I caught the one on this.) In all my day of Jack fishing, this is definately the most successful lure I've used. ::)

budge
24-12-2001, 02:34 PM
im askin the same question im after my first jack. could anyone help me with some good spots around bribie, donnybrook and the surrounding areas, and what size line and leader do you use, do you use snapswivels or not that sort of stuff??

thanks guys

Jack_Lives_Here
28-12-2001, 07:36 AM
budge,

There are some excellent jack spots around those areas. Jacks love structure and cover, so snags, ledges, jetty pylons etc will be best to target.
As for line and leader - I normally use 20lb bionic braid with a 35lb leader. When I fish some spots I know there is 50cm + fish, I go to 30lb Bionic and 60lb leader - and I still loose fish regular. On this gear I've got good chances of turning their heads and getting away from there home. I'm about to give Harro's Knooted Dogs a go, From the feedback they go real well.
One spot I have fished in the last year, I'm sure the jacks have a rack of my manns boof baits and 20+ but hey that's why they call it fishing and not catching. They too good a sport fish to catch just once.

Jack

Rowdy
01-01-2002, 01:51 PM
While I'm still a Jack newbie, I have been doing well on the Team Diawa silver creek lures in any of the chrome colours. Other lures like the rapala husky jerk would do as well. I also use 6lb line and a 5 kilo trace which is alot lighter than most others use. So far haven't lost a lure yet, although it has been mighty close on occasion.
Going light is not for everyone but believe me, a 55cm jack is one hell of a battle on it. I'll continue to use light gear..at least until the lure losses gets too much for me to handle :)

Regards

Rowdy

budge
02-01-2002, 08:41 AM
Thanks for the help jack ill go out and give it a go over my break

budge