PDA

View Full Version : lure fishing from the rocks /shore

moleman
04-05-2002, 04:09 AM
Im an English man living in Portugal where I lure fish from the rocks for blue fish (Talor) and sea bass. Im planning a 1 month trip to Ausralia in November , and have possibilities to stay around Brisbane or further south NSW , and would like any advice on a good area to head for (as im pretty flexable) and what fish I could expect to encounter.
any info much appreciated
Grant

adrian
13-05-2002, 04:54 AM
gday moleman
If you are staying at Brisbanethe foreshores of morten bay can be worth a look . as is the pine river to the north and the gold coast to the south of brisbane ( about an hour drive to get to the surf fishing spots ) or try the gold coast seaway rock wall entrance to the gold coast

in brisbane the main types are bream flathead whiting .

I haven't been out much as work keeps me tooo busy
this is a start and mine sure the others will chip in soon

anzac

webby
13-05-2002, 01:48 PM
Hi Moleman. To continue on from Anzac, some of the best
rock fishing in the SEQ area in at Point Lookout on Nth
Stradbroke island a short trip across Morten Bay. The species avaliable off these rocks Kingfish/Tailor/Jew/Trevally
and some of the Aust reef species. You'll need a decent
surf rod to get you out. and reel handling the 10-20kg line
class. #Also as Anzac said the Southport Seaway, or the
Sand Pumping Jetty next door which actually gets you out
past the breakers. Most of the Rocky outcrops or headlands
from the Seaway south will also hold good fishing #spots.
The Australian Eastern Coastline weather is dominated
by the Highs/Lows coming from the Southern Ocean
and with highs the east coast can get some fairly nasty
seas, so when you arrive check the weather. as i suppose
in most parts of the world the odd sole get himself washed
off the rocks.
regards
Regards

Jeremy
15-05-2002, 10:47 AM
Hi Grant,

I am guessing from your post that you will be land based. Brisbane itself is a bit of a hole for land based fishing. The better spots are about a hour away on the Sunshine Coast, Gold Coast, and Moreton and Straddie Islands. Any ocean rock fishing you do will require proper footwear and tackle (long rod) for safety. This is of course, also strongly affected by the weather.

What sort of fishing are you specifically interested in and what sort of tackle will you be bringing?

I'd suggest a fishing charter would be worthwhile for you, as it would at least (virtually) guarantee you some fish. Also, if you post to these boards in the weeks before you arrive, you may find someone might offer you a ride on their boat.

Cheers,

Jeremy