PDA

View Full Version : Drift or anchor?

fisho
12-06-2002, 02:50 PM
When out on wide reefs, I normally anchor up from structure / ledge etc and berley. I often will drift over ground first to judge bite, however some of my mates drift almost exclusively and rarely anchor. What do most reef fishos do? Both? Drift first when conditions allow? Depends on the bottom? I'd be interested in member's thoughts / experiences. ;)

Jeremy
13-06-2002, 08:24 AM
I prefer to anchor. I figure that you can anchor yourself over good structure or fish, but if you are drifting you'll only be over good structure or fish small part of the time. Plus burley should bring the fish to you. I only occasionally drift if the wind and current are light and the fishing is very slow.

Jeremy

Jeremy
13-06-2002, 08:25 AM
Jusr re-read your post - I only fish close reefs from 20 - 40 metres deep, so my experience may not apply to you.

Jeremy

Kal
13-06-2002, 11:19 AM
This is a tuff one,I mainly drift fish, as i fish waters 34m and deeper.Also the main speices I target here in the west is the Western Austrailian Dhufish which is territorrial.When drifting and catching a fish,I will drift back over the spot and put it into my GPS,for a latter day.

TIGHT LINES

KAL

webby
13-06-2002, 05:23 PM
Hi, In anything over 40m i usually drift using a para-anchor
to help slow the drift rate down. #very seldom anchor in deep water unless current is slow, if i do i always use a retrival
buoy. Bloody long way to pull up. #In shallow reef #40m or less
usually do couple drifts and watch sounder to see where fish
if any are loitering, plus it gives u a chance to see the bottom
structures, if i find anything that looks promising, usually hit
gps and circle around and anchor fair way up current from the spot and usually use floater s to drift back over themark
with a berley trail , if drifting usually berley over opposite
side of boat to lines , if anchored will berley from bow so
at least some of it gets down to were your baits are.#
regards

Volvo
14-06-2002, 01:06 PM
definetly anchor a far as im concerned :) get top of the fish or just feed your bait out and let it find the fish if not close by.
Sometimes when they are a bit finnicky , then you can drift till ya get em back on the chew or find another structure where they wanna play ball.
Like previously said when ya drift ya get one go at em and then ya gotta move back over em again .If they are still there .
Cheers

Heath
15-06-2002, 07:22 PM
We always anchor. Prefer to be in the one spot with a good berly trail going.

On the odd occassion we do drift, it is usually near the end of our trip, where we drift so we cover a bit of ground while cleaning up the boat.

Lucky_Phill
18-06-2002, 05:41 PM
Well ditto to most of the above. I believe it is a personal thing, but basically, anchor where and when you can. A mate of mine anchors at " The Hards ", and if you know where that is you may be surprised. YES, anchors in 80 meters of water.

I've used a Para-anchor to actually stop a boat, in light winds.

The lifting Bouy is a must offshore.