PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Jewie Rig

Luke
07-06-2002, 04:56 PM
What do people recommend for the rig they would use for live baiting for Jewies when using say gar or mullet?? Sinker,leader line weight,hooks gang or single etc.
Cheers Luke

jezza
07-06-2002, 06:24 PM
G'day Luke,I like to use just a single hook,normally an 8/0 on a 1m trace of 24kg mono.Here in SA,the legal size for mullet is 21cm,so that's a pretty good sized bait!Sinkers......well,the cliche goes"as light as possible to suit the conditions at hand",is as true as you'll ever get.Normally,I try not to use any,but as long as it's running,you will be OK.Main line I use 15kg Fireline spooled onto a 9500ss Spinfisher on a MT8144.My thoughts and opinions only!All the best.
Until next time...

Luke
08-06-2002, 07:34 AM
Thanks Jezza,
I'm after opinions mate. How do you set your hook in your livie-through the lip or top of the back??
Cheers Luke

jezza
08-06-2002, 03:38 PM
My preference is to hook them through the back,but that is when the "quarry" is unseen.When the jewies can be seen herding the mullet,tommies ,gar etc,I like to hook them more towards their tail.In my experience,the livie seems to struggle more eratically,therefore,drawing more attention to himself.
You know what happens next!
Until next time...

webby
08-06-2002, 06:06 PM
hi Luke, the best hook up for livies if finds is when anchored
and in strong current, i do a back hookup and i sometimes
add a loose stinger hook a few cm above the main hook.
the back hookup allows the bait to swim more freer in strong
current.. # the other rig when current not so rapid, i place one
through the mouth and a stinger hook in the back. #the reason
is i used to use singles and on a few occassion got bitten
off just behind the head, so i now use a second hook. to stop
this. hook size is usually 4/0 depending on bait size and
stinger hook 2/0 to 3/0 . i generally dont use weight, but on
the odd occassion i might put a small bullet head sinker
on to the hook. to keep him down in deeper water.
most leaders are 20kg for jewies, around 1m
regards

Luke
09-06-2002, 09:22 AM
Thanks Jezza and Spider,
a few good options to give a burl. Thanks fellas.

Nugget
09-06-2002, 12:13 PM
I'll throw my two-bob's worth in too Luke.
Live baiting the surf I use 2 x 10/0 Eagle Claw hooks (the reason for the Eagle Claws over other brands is because they have a wider gape to get past a thick mullet and they are finer diameter than other brands - sharpen them first though).
The hook closest to the rod tip goes in just up from the anal fin and the bottom hook goes just in front of the dorsal fin.
Make sure the offsets are making the hook point away from the bait.
The fish is facing away from the rod tip - the way it will swim when you use it.
This way it will swim away from the beach easily.

Check out next edition of BNB for Tye Porter's article - hopeful he should have it in the next edition.

Conditions aren't the best in the surf this weekend (I'm planing to try for a jew for the Moreton Bay and Offshore Challenge).
But I'm going over anyway - Sunday night only because of radio show duties - I'll let you know how we (me and my 17 yr son Shawn) go.

Dave ><>

Luke
11-06-2002, 11:37 AM
Cheers Dave,
I'll give that one a bash next trip out I reckon and hope you guys get a few tricks. Thanks for all replies.
Luke

Muzzy
11-06-2002, 11:26 PM
100lb plus hand line...

before you comment on the sport you go one on one with a fish big enough to pull you in the water with no mechanical advantage the rod/lever give ya.

but real big fish on hand lines is one of the most fun fishing I have done and will do...

Muz

Luke
12-06-2002, 10:30 AM
Sounds good Muz - biggest thing I've caught on handline is flathead but I might give that a go next hot spell when the noahs start firing again.
Luke

Master_Jig_Builder
20-06-2002, 06:12 PM
Luke, one final suggestion. Use reusable lumo hooks on your jew rigs.

E-mail me if your need a name of the manufacturer.

Nugget
21-06-2002, 01:56 AM
You got me - what the hell are
"Use reusable lumo hooks"

Are you talking glowbeads?
And if so have you had any confirmed improvement using them?
I'd be interested to know.

Dave ><>

Master_Jig_Builder
21-06-2002, 03:09 AM
G'day Dave and thanks for the query.

No not glow beads. Hooks that glow in the dark. The hook shafts glow and are durable so they can be used time and again.

On jewfish there is anecdotal information from many regular jewfish anglers who claim to have much better hook up rates when their bait is iluminated. Some use cylume sticks, others use beads, some use glow hooks.

The same applies to a large range of bottom fish as well when lumo hooks are used on dropper loops or paternsta rigs.

Flathead are one good example.

Nugget
21-06-2002, 03:28 AM
The problem is quantifying results.
I've experimented a lot with lumo beads and cylumn sticks and sometimes they appear to improve catches then the theory goes out the door with the next trip.
I'm convinced that lumo beads improve tailor catches in the surf at night - I've proved that to myself enough times to believe it.
I also believe they work in deep water offshore - why else would pro long liners use them?
I've never seen lumo hooks - I'd be sceptical (as I always am) because I hide the hook in the bait.

Let's take this up with a new thread and see what others think

Dave ><>

Master_Jig_Builder
21-06-2002, 03:47 AM
Yep more than happy to talk on it some more elsewhere. FYI, that is the whole idea of the hook shaft being lumoed. Means that the light source is right on the bait.

I agree, quantification is always difficult.

At the same time, and just like with the taylor results, unless your running a double blind, randomised, longitudinal research project with a minimum of 40 regular anglers - half using lumo and half not, on the same beach night in and night out, then it is difficult to quanity most catch rate results let alone state their catch rate ability with any statisical confidence.

The same can be said for 1.5-3 oz lumo jigs at night for trevalley down at the sea way or at selected spots on the GC. The same applies to many die jewfish anglers I know as well.