PDA

View Full Version : Grinners?

IanF
25-07-2002, 01:18 PM
I have heard a lot of guys talking about grinners in the bay. I have caught a couple of fish I didn't know what were but basically looked I guess like some kind of whiting but with a mouth full of nasty looking teeth! I am sort of putting two and two together here and am wondering if I am getting four? What are these grinners and what are they good for? I have just been using long nosed pliers to get them off without bringing them into the boat.

I am interested to hear from those who know more about these fish than me (wouldn't be hard).

Thanks
ian

Heath
25-07-2002, 02:25 PM
They are grinners alright. Not good for much as they are full of bone. They do make good troll baits because they are so solid. Not much use for berly either.
Heard a rumor that they are great for feeding dolphins http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm35.gif(sorry had to get that one in)

jaybee
25-07-2002, 03:14 PM
ere u go watch those teeth..

webby
25-07-2002, 03:30 PM
Hi Ian, No matter where you fish from Peel Is north you get grinners, big ones, small ones and all with the some dentistry setup, but dont throw them away, they are great for fresh strip bait, (Just Dong them on the Head) ;D and keep for fresh bait.
regards

Touchy - R.I.P.
25-07-2002, 04:27 PM
Ian,Fillet 'em,skin 'em,put 'em in a pot & boil'em,mash 'em when they are cool & add some bran/bread & tuna oil,you then you have a pretty good basis for some berly for the bay. :)Cheers T.

Lucky_Phill
25-07-2002, 04:42 PM
Another recipe for Grinner soup is:-

place the Grinner in a pot of boiling salt water, add fresh herbs and spices.

let boil for 5 minutes then place an old brick in the pot. Strain the juices off, throw out the fish and eat the brick !!!! ;)

seriously, they make great Red Emporer bait !! 8) ::)

IanF
26-07-2002, 08:01 AM
Thanks for the info guys. Are there any other names for these fish? We also caught one down in the clarence at Iluka over christmas. Where are they generally found other than Moreton Bay?

Ian

jaybee
26-07-2002, 08:04 AM
Also commonly known at sargent bakers and a few other names I cant print here ;D Hervey bay is rife with them usually around mackeral time..have seen some nice mackeral caught on them, had a ball with them in the canal estates (raby bay) a few months ago on lures
cheers.

Benno
02-08-2002, 06:34 AM
So they ARE the little bastards that are so plentiful at Hervey bay...!! I never knew what they were, learn something new every day.
Thanks Lads

Cheers Benno

jack_attack
02-08-2002, 06:58 PM
Even when you get a large "grinner" it will fight like seaweed. They are a great fish for filling in time.