PDA

View Full Version : samson fish

adriancorrea
18-09-2002, 07:54 PM
Hi all 8)
I know this has been put up before but Im still none the wiser.
Does anyone know the legal size for a samson fish??? ??? ???

Tight Lines
Adrian

SteveCan
19-09-2002, 04:37 AM
Isn't it the same as for Kingfish? - i.e. 50cm?

Steve.

poncho
19-09-2002, 10:31 AM
There's nothing in the queensland dpi recreational fishing rules (http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/fishweb/2881.html) to suggest that there actually is one.

cheers,

webby
19-09-2002, 02:02 PM
Hi Adrian, Samson and Amberjack are the same family, Legal 30cm and i think the bag limit is 5 ??
regards

adriancorrea
20-09-2002, 03:00 PM
Thanks Brian
I still havent seen it written anywhere: samson fish ____
So that would be the correct legal size?

Tight Lines
Adrian

Big_Muddie
20-09-2002, 04:51 PM
Hi.

I'd be a bit careful here. I did some research on this tonight and found the following:

Amberjack - scientific name: Seriola dumerilii

Samson Fish - scientific name: Seriola hippos

Clearly related but not exactly the same.

The Great Outdoors Fish Guide (purchased this year) lists Amberjack as having no "in possession" limit and no minimum size. It does not have an entry for the Samson Fish.

If you want a definitive answer, contact the DPI by calling 13 25 23 or using their contact page at http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/home/229.html

Regards,

Michael

PS. I think that their minimum size and in possession limit will be identical to the Amberjack.

poncho
21-09-2002, 01:34 PM
I sent a email to the dpi and received the following response:

"In response to your enquiry, there are no limits on Sampson or amberjack in Queensland. The recreational fishing rules including limits are
available for viewing at the following link:

http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/fishweb/2881.html"

cheers,

adriancorrea
22-09-2002, 10:20 AM
Thanks Smymanski :D
I checked that website the other day and all I could come up with is the following

Legal fish sizes and in-possession limits

The following in-possession limits, minimum sizes, and (where indicated) maximum sizes apply to fish throughout Queensland.
An in-possession limit refers to the total number of fish of that species that a person may have in their possession at any one time, and does not apply on a per day basis.
Fish marked * indicate reef species subject to combined in-possession limit of 30.
n/a = not applicable

Species Legal size (cm) in-possession limit

Australian bass 30 min. 2
Barramundi (Qld east coast) 58 min., 120 max. 5
Barramundi (Gulf of Carpentaria) 60 min., 120 max. 5
Bream, pikey 23 min. n/a
Bream, yellow-finned 23 min. n/a
Black-lipped pearl oyster 9 min. n/a
Catfish, eel-tailed (Tandanus tandanus) 35 min. See below for possession limit details
Catfish - certain catfish with eel-like tails (in the Queensland section of the Murray-Darling Drainage Division) 35 min. (Tandanus tandanus) A combined total of 5 fish in the genera Neosilurus and Tandanus
Catfish - certain catfish with eel-like tails (outside the Murray-Darling Drainage Division) 35 min. (Tandanus tandanus) A combined total of 10 fish in the genera Neosilurus and Tandanus (eg black catfish, Cooper Creek tandan, eel-tailed catfish [Tandanus tandanus], false spine catfish, Hyrtl's tandan and short-finned catfish)
Cherabins n/a A combined total of 10 for both species (Macrobrachium lar and M. rosenbergi)
Cod, barramundi 40 min. n/a
Cod, estuary* 35 min, 120 max 10
Cod, Murray (Queensland section of the Murray-Darling Drainage Division) 60 min., 110 max. 2
Cod, Mary River (upstream of the walls of Maroon, Moogerah, Hinze, Bill Gunn [Lake Dyer], Lake Clarendon, Wivenhoe, North Pine, Cressbrook and Somerset Dams) 50 min 1
Cod, Mary River (elsewhere in Queensland) - 0
Cod, potato* 35 min, 120 max 1
Crab, blue swimmer (carapace) 15 min. n/a (males only)
Crab, mud (carapace) 15 min. 10 (males only)
Crab, spanner (carapace) 10 min. 20 (excluding berried females)
Coral trout* 38 min. 10
Dolphin fish 45 min. n/a
Eel, long-finned 30 min. A combined total of 10 for long-finned, Pacific and short-finned eels
Eel, Pacific 30 min. A combined total of 10 for long-finned, Pacific and short-finned eels
Eel, short-finned 30 min. A combined total of 10 for long-finned, Pacific and short-finned eels
Emperor, red* 45 min. 10
Emperor, red throat* 35 min. 10
Emperor, spangled* 40 min. 10
Flathead, bar-tailed 30 min. n/a
Flathead, mud 30 min. n/a
Flathead, sand 30 min n/a
Fingermark* (large-scale sea perch) 35 min. 10
Grass sweetlip 30 min. n/a
Grunter bream, small spotted 30 min. n/a
Grunter bream, spotted (Qld east coast) 30 min. n/a
Grunter bream, spotted (Gulf of Carpentaria) 40 min. 10 whole fish or 20 fillets
Grunter, Barcoo 30 min. A combined total of 10 for silver perch, Welch's grunter and Barcoo grunter
Grunter, sooty 28 min. 10
Grunter, Welch's 30 min. A combined total of 10 for silver perch, Welch's grunter and Barcoo grunter
Hussar 25 min. n/a
Jewel fish (Gulf of Carpentaria) 45 min. n/a
Jewfish, silver 45 min. n/a
Jewfish, spotted/black* (Qld east coast) 45 min. 10
Jewfish, spotted/black* (Gulf of Carpentaria) 60 min., 120 max. 5 with no more than 2 more than 100cm
Kingfish, black* 75 min. 10
Kingfish, yellow 50 min. n/a
Luderick 23 min. n/a
Mackerel, grey* 50 min. 10
Mackerel, Spanish* 75 min. 10
Mackerel, school* (Qld east coast) 50 min. 30
Mackerel, school* (Gulf of Carpentaria) 50 min. 10
Mackerel, shark 50 min. n/a
Mackerel, spotted* (Qld east coast) 50 min. 30
Mackerel, spotted* (Gulf of Carpentaria) 50 min. 10
Molluscs (any - e.g. pipis, freshwater mussels, excluding oysters ) n/a 50
Moreton Bay bug (carapace) 7.5min. n/a
Mulloway* 45 min. 10
Mangrove Jack (Qld east coast) 35 min. n/a
Mangrove Jack (Gulf of Carpentaria) 35 min. 5
Maori wrasse* 75 min. 1
Nannygai, large-mouthed* 40 min. 10
Nannygai, small-mouthed* 40 min. 10
Perch, golden 30 min. 10
Perch, jungle 35 max. A combined total of 1 for jungle perch and northern jungle perch (spotted flagtail)
Perch, Moses 25 min n/a
Perch, northern jungle (spotted flagtail) 35 max. A combined total of 1 for jungle perch and northern jungle perch (spotted flagtail), (ie only one jungle perch may be taken)
Perch, pearl* 30 min. 10
Perch, silver 30 min. A combined total of 10 for silver perch, Welch's grunter and Barcoo grunter
Queenfish (Gulf of Carpentaria) 45 min. n/a
Queensland groper* 35 min., 120 max. 1
Rainbow fish n/a A combined total of 50 (banded, black banded,chequered, crimson spotted, desert, Doboulay's eastern, Lake Eacham and McCulloch's rainbow fish)
Redclaw crayfish in its natural range (Gulf of Carpentaria Drainage Division and from the Jacky Jacky River catchment south to the Normanby River catchment on the east coast of Queensland) and in Lake Tinaroo n/a 40
Females carrying eggs and/or young must be returned to the water in their natural range and in Lake Tinaroo
Rosy job fish* 30 min. 10
Salmon, king [Burnett] (Qld east coast) 40 min. n/a
Salmon, king [Burnett] (Gulf of Carpentaria) 60 min. 5
Salmon, blue [Cooktown] (Qld east coast) 40 min. n/a
Salmon, blue [Cooktown] (Gulf of Carpentaria) 40 min. 20
Saratoga, northern 50 min. A combined total of 1 for both northern and southern saratoga (ie. only one saratoga may be taken)
Saratoga, southern 50 min. A combined total of 1 for both northern and southern saratoga (ie. only one saratoga may be taken)
Snapper* 30 min. 30
Stripey 25 min. n/a
Sea mullet 30 min. n/a
Tailor 30 min. 20
Tailor (for extended visits to Fraser Island of 72 hours or more) 30 min. 30
Tarwhine 23 min. n/a
Trochus 8 min., 12.5 max. n/a
Teraglin, jewfish* 45 min. 10
Teraglin, silver 30 min. n/a
Trevally, giant (Gulf of Carpentaria) 35 min. n/a
Tusk fish, black spot* 30 min. 10
Tusk fish, purple* 30 min. 10