PDA

View Full Version : Anchoring offshore

bazz
20-09-2002, 04:30 PM
I bought a fishing mag the other day that was accompanied by a free mag of 1001 tips.

There was an article titled "The easy anchor lift" that suggested retrieving an anchor using the stern of a boat.

I am relatively new to fishing off shore but was always under the impression that this was a fairly dangerous practice.

What do you guys think?

Volvo
20-09-2002, 10:40 PM
???Possible to post the method used??, would make interesting reading.
Cheers

Lucky_Phill
21-09-2002, 02:02 PM
If I had a death wish, I'd retrieve my anchor from the stern.

Anchor your boat. add the float and ring, drive off at a good speed. Retrieve the anchor once the bouy is seen at the rear of the boat. for more detail, give Bill Corten a private message here. ??? ;) ;D

adrian
21-09-2002, 03:59 PM
hi

Iagree with phill I use the method he uses and it makes the job real easy and it don't matter how deep it still works

anzac

webby
21-09-2002, 04:02 PM
Hi Buzz, Firstly would like to see this stern anchoring technique, but if you want to see your rig go down stern first from some rogue wave.Id stick to the bow,
This is the way i go about it, Drop your anchor, then the retrival ball, drive your boat in a circle as the anchor is going down, this keeps you over the spot, and stops the current dragging your boat of the spot, when you feel the anchor touch bottom, take up the slack so it gets a hold, then feed out enough rope to keep that hold. a good idea is to have some fairleads mounted on opposite sides of the bow, this give you the opportunity to swing your rig 10-15m either side of the original spot.
also did a drawing for you it might help.
regards

bazz
22-09-2002, 03:52 AM
Thanks fellas for the reply.Thanks Webby for the sketch.The system that you use is similar to what I use . The article that I read was in last months free mag with Modern Fishing.1001 tips.

Lucky_Phill
22-09-2002, 06:29 AM
That circling during the drop of the anchor isn't widely used Webby. people still out there driving way past their mark and trying get on it.

That circling is by far and away the best method, even in the deep deep water.

;D ;) 8)

michael_mad_fisho
25-09-2002, 08:37 AM
i never tie it at the back of the boat and then drive of to retrieve it, i always tie it to the front then when i leave just motor away fats until u see the bouy at the back of the boat and then simply pull her in

mick
25-09-2002, 10:46 AM
does anyone use springers

SteveCan
25-09-2002, 03:15 PM
Hi Guys,

I am finding this a very interesting post. So far the deepest water I have anchored in is about 30 metres - 16 fathoms or so. I have a 5 metre Fibreglass runabout with 70 hp. I have 60 metres of 6mm anchor rope and 2.5 metres of chain.

how deep can you go before anchoring is not effective? Also how much rope do you need in proportion to the depth?

I have been gearing up for deeper water and have some marks to go to that are between 24 and 36 fathoms. I was thinking about joining another 50 metres of rope to take care of that. Is that enough?

Cheers
Steve.

fibre_glass
25-09-2002, 03:33 PM
for reasonable conditions calculate the amount of anchor rope x three to one .if there is a strong current or heavier conditions go to five to one
if in 10 meters calm water you need to put out at least 30 meters of anchor line .
there is some info in one of the transport department books .
not sure which one. ( lost it)

webby
25-09-2002, 05:14 PM
Hi Steve, If your going to start anchoring in 80-100m, it pays to buy good quality rope 8-10mm silver rope.
for anchoring in 100m you'll need at least 250m, plus spare anchor and shackles, chain should be 8-10cm links and around 5m long, there's a lot of theories round the chain should be the length of your boat.
The chain acts as a shock absorber, when your boat is riding at anchor. If you find your not holding bottom increase the lenght of your chain. So the angle of pull from your anchor to your boat is greater. if going into these deeper water i'd go for a lead filled anchor with good strong prongs, there's nothing more annoying in a good swell when your anchor keeps letting go, also carrying spare rope, as sure as hell one day you'll cut your rope. and if dont have a retrival buoy, best invest in one. You ever tried pulling a anchor up from 80-100m . hope tthis helps
regards

mick
26-09-2002, 08:35 AM
springers help absorb any jolting on the anchor rope, which in turn stops your anchor from jolting off the bottom. basically point A goes around your bollard. point B is a big rubber band. C is a clip that holds your main anchor line. i still dont trust the clip 100%, so i tie my main line around my bollard for peace of mind, but it hassent sliped yet. if you put both feet in the rubber band and both hands on the opposite end you can barely strech it. the band is back spliced into the rope so the rope will take the tension and stop the band from breaking. in off-shore waters in rough sea you can realy see it working. this is not an essential tool but once youve used it, you'll probably keep using them

Balistapus
30-09-2002, 12:29 PM
Gday,
Im very familiar with anchoring large fibreglass boats in deep water but is it common practice to anchor (with the correct gear) in a smaller tinny offshore?
I have a 4.5m quinnie with 50hp tiller steer.
I only drift or troll in deeper waters but when current is running can i anchor without troubles??

webby
01-10-2002, 02:42 PM
Hi The same principle applies wether your rig is 20m or 4m, and you have the right retrival gear.
regards