PDA

View Full Version : berley

dunc
07-10-2002, 08:11 AM
How can i make an effective Berley trail off the rocks for bream. It has to be fairly cheap and effective. What baits should be used with the berley etc. What kind of rigs should be used with it?

dunc

Big_Kev
07-10-2002, 01:52 PM
Dunc when I was a kid I used to keep all the left over bread from mums kitchen when it was stale .
Put it in the freezer until you are going fishing and defrost it .
Break it up into little pieces and put in a bucket . you can soak some barely over night in water and add this as wellor wheat or chook food .
Get some tuna oil not to much that it is soggy just a bit . Throw it off the rocks where you are fishing and cast to the side as the feed will attract the pickers and the bigger fish will circle the crowd looking to strike and this will be what you will target .
It is often good to have more than one hook baited on the line so learn how to tie a dropper knot . Keep a rag in your pocket to wipe off the oily residue and only a handfull every now and then . Keep a tight line Reel Hard.

spinna
07-10-2002, 06:35 PM
Hi dunc ;)
What i do is save all the old bread that is left over and hang it up in an old sand bag this way the air can still get to it and dry it out but you dont get any mould ;).And if your fishing of the rocks what i found to do the best job was some pvc pipe 150mm in diam and glue an end cap on 1 end and a screw cap on the other end. In the screw cap end drill a hole and put in a s/steel eye. ::) Then you drill a lot of holes in the pvc pipe.You fill the pipe with some berley tie some rope through the s/steel eye place it in the water and tie the other end off the rope to the rocks. 8) That way the berley will slowly release it self and all you have to do if fill it every now and then. ;D

cheers spinna :) ;) :D

Jewmaster
10-10-2002, 01:05 PM
Hows it going mate.
I'm currently mixing processed oats and processed bran to a platic bottle, soak the mix of oats and bran overnight or for a couple of hours in TUNA OIL, every 5 minutes add a handfull of the mix to the water, the OATS sink straight to the bottom and drift around releaseing oil, but the BRAN floats and starts a longer trail of tuna oil being relaesed over a fair distance leading back to your oats and than to your bait. Has worked extremly well for samon off Dundee beach in darwin and has caught me a few extra Jewfish. Good luck mate.

PS: You can mix this with 1 egg, and 2 cups of flour, make up small balls and bake in a hot over for 5 minutes maximum, when you trow them in they sink and as they break up the BRAN is realsed and floats up to the surface creating a braod flow of berley.

gruntahunter
10-10-2002, 02:03 PM
hey Jewie I thought u were going to say u could eat those balls after u cooked them ;D but they sound like an exellent burley mate.

sharkbait
10-10-2002, 04:53 PM
If your going to use bread soak it well in a bucket of saltwater first or all you'll attract is seagulls. One thing that works for me is to use pilchard fillets or cubes for bait. because pillies are soft and oily they create a great burley trail of their own. you can speed up the process by throwing in a handful of pillie pieces every 10min or so. If your chasing bream go with a pea size ball sinker straight onto the hook - you'll feel the bites better and wont get as many snags as well. If you are fishing in the right area at the right time five or six bucks worth of pillies will hopefully see you with a bream or two, and if youve got any left at dusk, chuck one out for a chopper.
good luck...

bo_sawyer
17-10-2002, 02:16 PM
Hey mate,
the guys have probaly already mentioned it, but i like to use;
Tuna oil
small pieces of fish (pilchards)
Sand
Simple and effective. Tuna oil might cost $7 and a small packet of pillies about $3.50-4.00. And the sand is free, and is used to make it look more natural (i think ???)Well it works anyway mate. Hope it helps buddy
Cheers.

stevedemon
17-10-2002, 05:05 PM
Hi Dunc
After all the other advice in which most are right but some times mixing Tuna oil with your burl can attracted the vermin here is one more reciepe for your book as follows
Chook pellets (5kg bag ) $5.00 mix with water what you need
go to bi-lo's no frills cans of Pilcards .67c and chicken and turkey mix
add to blender with bread and water and mix the lot together this is the cheapest way have tried all ways but this comes out on top you can even add some bran to all this
to get it to the bottom make sure it is not to watery so you can roll in balls as this sinks it will break up
hope this helps

Cheers ;D ;D
Steve :P

Big_Kev
18-10-2002, 12:59 AM
Just be careful using mums blender but dunc .
I used my wifes blender to mix up some berly once and it smelt that bad from the pillies she made me get her a new blender .
That would have to be the most expensive berly ever made I would think .
Reel Hard

dunc
18-10-2002, 05:32 PM
lol
good one reel.
ill search around for an old blender for my berley making?

dunc