PDA

View Full Version : Wide Bay Bar

loozitt
24-04-2004, 03:59 AM
I,m looking at coming up to Tin Can bay for week in the near future. I was wondering if there is any means of getting offshore without having to cross the bar. Or anything I should look for if I am going to cross the bar. (Wide Bay bar)

I'm just concerned about the bar, because I have been told it is not the easiest to cross. I have heard that there is a gutter called the fishermans gutter, this gives you the chance to get out wide. :-/

Can anybody help me

dazza
24-04-2004, 05:30 AM
hi
mate i am far from an expert on that bar, but fish out of there a bit. get onto tin can bay coast guard. they will give you the marks to get you through safely, and answer any questions you may have. remember to log on with the coast guard. they are very helpful.
fishermans gutter is an option. the weather has to be right to use it though. the main bar is probably the safer option if you are not famliar with the area. can get the occasional greenie through fishermans gutter,
it may also be an option to launch from the beach in the little bay inside double island
cheers
dazza

Lucky_Phill
25-04-2004, 10:32 AM
Depends on the size of ya boat.

The bar is no trouble at all. If the weather is too ruff to fish, the bar is unworkable.

There are very good land marks ( beacons ) to get you in and out of the bar, also, as Dazza, says, definately log into the Tin Can Bay VMR.

Fishermens gutter is a short cut that the locals use, it sits sometimes less than 100meters from shore. Can be tricky if unfamiliar.

If it is possible to get past Mudlo Rocks, definately launch at Double Island Point .

Cheers Phill