PDA

View Full Version : You have to go wide!!!

Scallywag
11-07-2005, 01:14 PM
I started offshore fishing in February, this year. I have kept my boat at Mooloolaba and fished the inner reefs - Murphy’s, the Blinker, Caloundra 5 Mile and Arkwright Shoal. I have probably been out about fifteen times. My technique is to set up a cubed berley trial (which consists of bran, chook pellets, tuna oil and pilchard cubes) and fish using floaters (feeding the line constantly) and putting down one bottom basher. The results are very hit and miss. On some days you will take home a decent feed. On many days you will only get one or two fish. On other days you will only catch undersize fish and go home with nothing. The bottom line is these results suggest to me that the inner reefs are too unreliable and that you have to go wide to get consistent results. That is you have to fish the Barwons or Wide Caloundra. What do other fish chat members think?

SeaSaw
11-07-2005, 06:02 PM
Even Barwon and Wide Caloundra have bad days, but they are a bit more consistent and there are more options to try when the fishing is quiet, which makes a big difference e.g if the barwon shallows aren't working you can head to the deep, or look for drop offs that provide shelter from the current etc.

I think the close reefs still fish pretty well and I usually bring home a good feed. I am a little more choosy about times and moon phases for fishing the close reefs. As you say they can be a little inconsistent, so you need to target the most productive bite times. I guess I don't expect quality in quiet the same numbers or to bag out every time on the shallows, but when they fire they can be great.

Cheers,

Mark

caloundra
12-07-2005, 06:02 AM
scally
try avoiding area's around caloundra 5 mile these area's are way to overfished ;)

Daniel

Pual
27-07-2005, 07:04 AM
The only time I've ever gotten a feed from the Inner Neering s or Murphy's is after a flood or heavy rain. I know of people who do do well in this area but as said above they are very selective about where and when they fish this area.
If you can afford to put in the time and take record of key factors you may be able to put some information together which will improve your chances.
Likewise I have been to the Banks and Wide Cal and returned fishless. A long way to go for nothing. But thats fishing.
Good luck Pual.

mattooty
27-07-2005, 04:36 PM
Close reefs always produce the goods after heavy rain because the bigger snapper move in close. Saw a few good fish taken off the rocks recently after all the flooding and rain. But in general during the daylight the fish will be on the deeper reefs. Your technique is really good, it might just need to be tried in a different spot.
Good luck
Matt

fritzy
27-07-2005, 05:46 PM
Giday Scallywag,
Can i ask how big your boat is, and how to locate the close in reefs (using landmarks if possible)you talk about above. I only have a relatively small tinnie without GPS but am real keen to try the close in reefs if possib le.
Cheers mate, Fritz

caloundra
28-07-2005, 12:09 PM
fitzy
get yourself a copy of a sunshine coast fishing map you should be able to get them from any tackle shop for around $8.50 they have shoreline views of some of the close reefs

Daniel

PS if you can't find one I sell them in my bookshop It's at sunland shopping centre at caloundra

fritzy
29-07-2005, 05:18 AM
Thanks for the tip caloundra. Do you ever fish the close reefs yourself? How well do they fish??
Cheers Fritzy

caloundra
29-07-2005, 08:16 AM
fritzy
only been off m/bar twice
most of my fishing is off caloundra and there are a few good spots in close off there ;)

Daniel