PDA

View Full Version : Cabbage for Luderick

Bream_Reaper01
08-06-2006, 04:23 PM
Gidday all,

I'm off after some luderick this weekend and wanted to know if anyone has seen cabbage growing on rocks or the like at low tide round the Gold Coast ?.I can buy the stringy weed but would like to have some trusty cabbage as well and it appears that no bait shop carries it anymore.I'll be land based as well for this.

Freeeedom
08-06-2006, 06:30 PM
The cabbage only grows in Queensland in winter. Since we have had an early start to the winter we should get some good growth over the next couple of months. I have found that even when it is not a good year for cabbage I can usually pick up enough for a luderick session around the margins of floating pontoons and navigation buoys. When the growth is good you can fill a rubbish bin in seconds from the foreshores between the Houghton Highway and Woody Point. When the flats at Hayes Inlet look like a lush lawn at low tide you know the season will be a good one.
Cheers Freeeedom

Got_the_Fever
08-06-2006, 11:37 PM
Hi Bream_Reaper

We always used to buy some cabbage from the Gem Bait shop if we couldnt get any around Woody Point like Freeeedom suggested. I havent been there for awhile but if you give them a call they will be able to let you know if they have any. ;D

Kel

Bundy_Burp
08-06-2006, 11:51 PM
Been a loooong time since i've been to the old gem bait shop .
You are right they used to have cabbage weed but that was quite awhile ago.
Giving them a ring sounds like the best bet .
Must get down that way and check them out myself one of these days.

Bream_Reaper01
09-06-2006, 08:09 AM
Guys thanks but iv'e rung them and every store to tweed heads and all i can get is string weed but not cabbage.The gem was my old haunt for getting cabbage but they have told me because there are no licenced gathers in QLD anymore they will not get it from NSW,i guess it's a cost thing.

masterdusky
09-06-2006, 08:16 AM
There are a few spots..anywhere there are ocea nrocks accessible at low tide..... shouldnt take too much thinking to work it out ;)

Bream_Reaper01
09-06-2006, 01:23 PM
masterdusky,
I'm well aware it doesn't take much brains but i'm trying to save time as i don't have spare time and narrow it down a little so i can maximise fishing time.

masterdusky
09-06-2006, 03:20 PM
reaper am not saying u dont have brains......just trying to keep some good spots from being overloaded by harvesters...:D

anyhow some spots are rocks at curumbin creek entrance although at times gets pretty hard hit, breakwalls down near 9th av, rocks at snapper.......:D
hope this helps....

Bream_Reaper01
09-06-2006, 03:57 PM
masterdusky,
Mate,that does help narrow it down for me thanks for your help as i don't want to spend hours looking,between kids,sport and work i simply needed to look in some areas where i might strike some.I used to get it round Fishermans Island in Brisbane but that's too far now that i live on the coast.I wasn't sure where to head but you've given me some good clues.If your into luderick fishing you can pm and i'll let you know where there appeared to be heaps last Sunday.

Andy_Z
09-06-2006, 07:31 PM
i got some cabbage this afternoon from curumbin hard time getting it as tide was pushing in

masterdusky
10-06-2006, 11:23 AM
Best t ogo low tide..... try not to take too much ;) and I prefer the smaller newer plants over the larger leaf older stuff :D