PDA

View Full Version : Lure choices for Mangrove Jack

Katrina
26-02-2002, 01:57 PM
:o Just wondering about preferences for lures when chasing Mangrove Jack. Heading down to the Jacob's Well/Broadwater area, and wondering what are favourite lures. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks, Katrina ;D

Jack_Lives_Here
27-02-2002, 06:04 AM
Not fished that area much myself but would expect the regualr suspects to work.

Casting
Manns 10's, RMG's, Reidys Little Lucifer, Flatz Ratz, Tilsan Barra (fast becoming one of my favourites), Prawnstar. Other memebrs will have their fav lures.

Have trolled the upper Nerang sections. It gets worked over pretty hard. We used Manns 20+ trolled against the tide to get them down and bumping the bottom. Managed some rather large cod and some good trevs but no jacks - bugger!

All the best
Jack

Katrina
27-02-2002, 10:23 AM
;D Thanks, at this stage I'd be happy with cod and trev's, jacks would be a bonus. Would casting and retrieving into snags be preferable to trolling?? ;) Thanks again

Touchy - R.I.P.
27-02-2002, 04:36 PM
Trinia,If you are looking at the Hope Isl./Paradise Point area I maybe able to offer some help,but the area you mention is a bit outta my range.Cheers t. ::)

matt_fraser
27-02-2002, 05:57 PM
G'day Katrina,
I dont know any good spots for Jacks around Jacobs Well/Broadwater, but look for snags and rockbars.

I've had most success in the Nerang over the years where it is all trolling Manns stretch 20s and Deep diving bombers(with the current is much more successful, but also more difficult!) Lures need to be close to structure, so trolling works best in deep water, casting works better in shallower areas.

Time and tide are big factors for SEQ Jacks, whatever technique you are using, including baitfishing. Last hour or two of the runout and first hour or two of the run in, on the smaller tides around the 1/2 & 3/4 moons (low tides coincide with dawn and dusk!)

Look for areas of structure where jacks can sit in eddies and ambush prey. If you want to double your chances on Jacks fish bait - livies and fresh fillets of gar or herring.

A good afternoon trip is to troll the outgoing tide till dark. Maybe a bit of casting on dark, then anchor up for a baitfishing session on the run in tide after dark . Opposite for morning session.

Goodluck :)
Matt

Katrina
27-02-2002, 06:01 PM
;D Thanks, there's only one high tide on Saturday, so I'll guess we'll have to work with that!

Maxg
25-03-2002, 12:41 AM
you should watch the water colour, but because these things a lutjanids, and most of the species can see red/blue/green, in clear coastal waters, a jack might be similar, but most jacks respond to gold lures in murky water and the darker the water the greater the chance that they will be in grey scale visual mode. There is not much light in dirty water and what there is is predominantly redish so gold is probably better than other things. Max

Bris_Vegas
18-09-2006, 12:45 PM
Try the Halco Crome Gold and Black Laser Pro's. The bigger ones.
Work a treat.

Or the Halco Poltergistes in the same colour.

Cheers.

Angus