PDA

View Full Version : G.P.S.

tonyp
05-09-2001, 05:02 PM
Am looking at GPS to purchase.
The one I have liked is the Lowrance global 100,
Requirements need be portable,easy to use and maybe price,but not the cheapest.?

Any help from people who have them or have been through the process of shoping round.

regards Tonyp

imported_admin
05-09-2001, 06:54 PM
Tony

Recently bought a Garmin GPS 12, just under $400.00.

Nice portable unit, also has plenty of Accessories available if you ever want to dash mount it in your car or boat, download to your PC, etc..

Have found it easy to use and have plenty of features.

Only downfall is that they chew through batteries so would suggest you get the cigarette lighter adapter. Or buy the PC interface cable with cigarette lighter adapter, cheaper than buying the units seperately.

Fitzy
05-09-2001, 07:06 PM
Hi Guys,
I gotta get me a decent new unit as well. Need something with C Map capabilities for the odd trip to the briny stuff.
Can anyone reccomend any particular make or model?

Fitzy..

Wesley_Pang
06-09-2001, 03:20 PM
Tony,

I've got a Garmin GPS 12.

I've got the PC interface/battery Adaptor too save my waypoints.

If you go to the Garmin site
http://www.garmin.com/

You can download the manual and have a look at the function.

Steve, you can set it to powersaver mode. Go to the System setup menu, then change the mode to powersaver. Not documented in the manual. I think it doubles the life of the batteries.

The GPS 12 has been out for a while now and still does the basic stuff well. Good trackback function.

If I had the cash($2000), I'd get the Lowrance new Sounder/GPS.

Wes

imported_admin
06-09-2001, 06:09 PM
Wesley,

Thanks for the tip on the powersave, will check it out.

Might have to RTFM (Read The Fabulous ;D Manual) one of these days. But then again........

davo
11-09-2001, 04:43 PM
Tony,
About the GPS. I just bought a Garmin12 and it's great. I use on my big boat as well as the tinnie. I've tried a Lowrance and found them less favourable. In fact I think Lowrance's service and reliability aren't very good at all, don't just take my word for it. Ask the marine electronics people. You'll find that when Lowrance stuff runs it's great but look out if and when it dies.

Between myself and few friends we've owned a lot of them, from the basic Eagle stuff up to LMS 350 and all have failed and sometimes more that once and the turn around time for repair has been poor (up to 6 weeks).

I'll probably cop a lot of flack from this but after nearly 20yrs in the industrial controls and instrumentation game I can only say what I've experienced.

What ever you buy ask about service policies and how long they support a model before they"re obsolete.
Good luck & happy fishing

imported_admin
11-09-2001, 05:48 PM
Davo

Interesting to read your thoughts on the Gramin. One of the things that swayed me to the Garmin was the turn around on repairs and warranty. Had heard some of the other brands were a bit slow on this side of things.

I recently found the plugs that fit into the back of the Garmin GPS for $5.00ea. With another $30.00 worth of wire and plugs and a quick solder job I now have a Cig Lighter power adaptor, Data Cable, and a Cig Lighter power adpator with Data cable combo. These 3 units would normaly cost well over 1/2 the price of the GPS unit. Although if I had to buy factory made ones I would probably have just bought the Cig Lighter power adaptor with data combo, about $120.00.

tonyp
11-09-2001, 06:28 PM
Thankyou all for the expert advice and opions .
you can only beleive so much of what shop owners tell you.
I am going to the boat show in Briso to have a play with them all and see what I come up with.
AQgain thanks to all.
regards tony payne.

adrian
06-10-2001, 03:29 PM
when buying your g.p.s. stay with in a budget and buy the best you can afford . a unit that picks up 12 stas is better than one that picks up 6 . if the unit can store waypoints the more the better. computer interface is an option if inside your budget . a good one starts at around $350 up

dnej
17-10-2001, 11:17 AM
Steve, the plugs you bought,what was the name of the plug and where did you buy them,
Regards David

Heath
19-10-2001, 12:18 PM
Best place for 4 pin Garmin plugs is here

http://www.gpsoz.com.au/index.htm

I have delt with them & they are great people.

imported_admin
19-10-2001, 05:09 PM
Dnej (David)

Check your private messages if you want me to send you a couple for nicks. Or go to the link that Heath gave if you want to by some, thats where I bought mine from.