PDA

View Full Version : handheld vhf

krazyfisher
03-01-2003, 04:11 PM
I am think about getting one of these how do they rate compared to fixed mount and what distance will you get with the handheld?
thanks

swano
03-01-2003, 04:26 PM
HEY KRAZ I HAD ONE , A UNIDEN SOMTHINOROTHER PAID A COUPLE OF HUNDRED FOR IT , IT HAD ABOUT A THREE K RADIUS ON LAND (BIT BIGGER ON WATER I SUPPOSE) USED TO USE IT WHEN PIG HUNTING, BUT THEN MY EX MATES DOG ATE THE THING AND HE DIDNT REPLACE IT . ONLY 6 MONTHS OLD TOO >:( >:( BEST OF LUCK SWANO

Kerry
04-01-2003, 04:32 AM
HEY KRAZ I HAD ONE , A UNIDEN SOMTHINOROTHER PAID A COUPLE OF HUNDRED FOR IT , IT HAD ABOUT A THREE K RADIUS ON LAND (BIT BIGGER ON WATER I SUPPOSE) USED TO USE IT WHEN PIG HUNTING, BUT THEN MY EX MATES DOG ATE THE THING AND HE DIDNT REPLACE IT . ONLY 6 MONTHS OLD TOO >:( >:( #BEST OF LUCK SWANO

Being a "couple of hundred bucks" then that sounds more like a UHF and not a VHF. For those $$'s and UHF, 3k might be about right.

Handheld VHF over water "about" 10 miles and will/can be dependent on the other station. Another handheld then performance would be less than say a coast station with some elevation.

Cheers, Kerry.

bazz
04-01-2003, 09:06 AM
I've had a G.M.E. Electrophone hand held V.H.F.as a back up for over ten years and wouldn't be without it.
From Redland Bay I can listen into Bribie V.M.R. Beenleigh V.M.R. and Gold Coast Seaway and boats around Flat Rock and some of the closer in reefs no problem from my back yard, with only it's standard antenae.
Replaced the battery once $100 the set cost me $499 back then.
the model GX560 not sure if they still make this model but give Standard Communications a call.