PDA

View Full Version : GPS ..Goods And Bads!!!

giantgourami
15-12-2002, 12:44 PM
Hey all, Just looking at getting a GPS ..will be using it in the bay mostly and just wondered whether anyone had specific favourites or anything..

I was opting for one with a chart in it due to laziness and possibility of night time fishing.

I have looked at the garmin gps 72 handheld which needs to be programmed with a PC to get a map installed.. is this process difficult.
The next option.." more expensive option" was a navman 5100i . with the C Map style chart . which is just a chip that plugs in the side .. seems very easy.

Are there any othe units that would be reccommended to me?

All comments will be appreciated

Adam

Kerry
15-12-2002, 03:12 PM
The sky is the limit when one starts getting into mapping units but the biggest issue in Oz is that specific units will only support specific mapping systems and that will also be dependent on your particular area.

The GPS72 is not a mapping unit.

If your really intent on mapping then check out what mapping system/charts are available/best suited to your area THEN find a unit that supports that system.

Cheers, Kerry.

smerl
18-12-2002, 05:52 PM
Adam,

I splashed out on a Navman 5100i earlier in the year. It wasn't long after they came on the market and the first one I got had a problem (dry contact on the circuit board) and had to go back. Navman were great and replaced it before the next weekend. I've been happy with the new one since.
Can't go past the C-Map, especially when fishing at night or in unfamiliar areas (the number of sand banks I've run into lately has definately decreased :)).

Simon

adriancorrea
19-12-2002, 05:56 PM
Hi Adam

Ive being looking at the garmin range myself(still havent got one :-/)
Looks alright for my needs
Try this website
http://www.ja-gps.com.au/
Hope it helps

Tight Lines
Adrian

argonautical
19-12-2002, 06:16 PM
Hi Adam,
I bought a Garmin (not a hand held type) about 12 months ago and very happy with unit. Has a built in antenna, but no mapping facilities. I sometimes fish in the bay at night and don't find the lack of a chart a problem. I put way-points in during day trips (dead simple) and refer to these at night if I lose my bearings.

The unit is installed (ie fixed) in an open tinny and I have no difficulty reading the screen even in bright sunlight with polaroid glasses. I wonder how hard it might be to read one of those hand helds if you are rolling around in a sea.

I hose the boat and the unit after fishing so no issues with the water-proofing.

Argo

rwells9999
20-12-2002, 03:37 AM
Hi Adam,
I have been using a Garmin GPS 126 for about 3 years now, it doesn't have a map display and quite frankly I wouldn't use it, bit of a overkill. The unit has performed brilliantly, I do quite a bit of night fishing and do 120km round trips, most of which is done with the GPS. I run a software package on my PC and update the gps regularly from there. If youv'e got pots of dough then fine go for the map version, but for my money you will get real value from a standard dash mount like this one. I cant praise GPS's enough, but one word of cauction, you still have to keep your witts about you.
Robin

giantgourami
21-12-2002, 06:17 PM
Thanks for all the info guys...
I only got the boat today so still havent purchased a GPS of yet..But thanks for the info.
What I need to know really is.. How easy / hard is it to download the maps on your PC?
Is there sites where you can download updates for free off the net?
Easiness = Thumbs up for me because I am not Really computer minded

cheers adam

Maca
02-01-2003, 08:53 AM
i got a garmin etrex hand held. fairly basic but it puts down a track as you go and when it gets dark u just turn around and follow the track back or head to the way points. i got a mounting bracket and it sits in there all right easy to read and waterproof.

maca.

blaze
02-01-2003, 05:35 PM
Hi all
I am with you maca etrex hand held
no prob seein the sceen simple to use and cheap, if i spent all my time watching the screen i would probly run into a boat or some thing else that moves and fish less
cheers
blaze

predator
07-01-2003, 07:14 PM
have a look at the geonavs........user friendly

I use a geonav 6.......and I think they are distributed by lowrance

http://www.polimarin.com/polimarin/geonav/chartplotterswgps.htm

;)