PDA

View Full Version : Garmin Gps 12

Sean
07-03-2003, 01:21 PM
I was wondering if anyone else out there owns a Garmin GPS 12? If so have you had any problems with it?

Rev
07-03-2003, 03:32 PM
No, I don't own one.

Yes, I know heaps of people who do!

No, they haven't had any problems with them!

Rev!

Wesley_Pang
07-03-2003, 04:04 PM
Sean,

I've own one for a couple of years and never had a problem.

Basic GPS, but does a good job.

I suggest making or buying a data cable to save your waypoints onto your PC.

Wes

tonyp
08-03-2003, 03:24 PM
I have had one for 2 years , I do not use all the features ,mainly on dams and rivers,never outside.

Buy a 12v lead for it as they chew batteries if you leave it on . Or do as I did and went to J-car electronics shop and make up a lead for about $8.00 instaed of $50 from the shops.
Just be carefull as you need a voltage regulater as it runs on 8volts i think from memory. But all parts are easy to find and fun to make.

Great unit.

caveman
08-03-2003, 03:38 PM
you could have told me about the lead a bit sooner as i just bought a pc/car lead for $80 lol still looking for some soft ware to put maps on my pc so i can make way points before i go bush
cheers caveman

Solarman
08-03-2003, 04:08 PM
Sean,
I have used a Garmin 12 for about three years. My first one had one sticky button after about 10 months use though it worked perfectly otherwise. I returned it to Whitworths and it was replaced no problems and no problems since. They seem to be accurate enough and I use it in the 4WD too. I tested it once in Pumicestone Passage by taking a mark at a channel marker then burning all over the place for an hour or so and it virtually brought me back to the Marker. I find most Garmin stuff easy to understand as they seem to have the same type of menu structures.
Solarman

Rev
08-03-2003, 05:11 PM
you could have told me about the lead a bit sooner as i just bought a pc/car lead for $80 lol #still looking for some soft ware to put maps on my pc so i can make way points before i go bush
# # # # # # # # # # #cheers caveman

Don't worry, if you bought the correct lead from Garmin you're okay!

Rev.

Sean
08-03-2003, 06:02 PM
The reason I ask is because i had my GPS 12 for about 10 months and all of a sudden it starts turning off it it got the slightest bump! As you can imagine, fishing in a 16ft tinnie trying to hold the thing still whilst going up and down was just a trifle annoying, I took it back and they replaced it with a so called 'new' one although i have my suspicions it was a reconditioned one as the internal screen was lopsided to the frame, and now, after 2 months it is doing it again, it is bloody annoying as i live in Ballina and have to drive to the gold coast each time. I treat it really carefully and maybe ive just got a dud!

Jeremy
11-03-2003, 09:31 AM
Sean,

I have had the same problem as you with mine last time I used it. My unit is about 3 years old and I can't remember having any problems with it before. I took the batteries out and replaced them when I got home, and it seemed better. Have to see how it goes next time I go out though.

Jeremy

Solarman
11-03-2003, 06:03 PM
Sean,
You may have already done this but the battery terminals might need checking/ cleaning or they might be lighly jarred while bouncing around in your boat... not that that should shut down the unit.
Regards
Solarman

bugman
12-03-2003, 07:38 AM
Can I just say that I have owned one since 1998 when they first came out.

I was wrapped in its accuracy, usability and portability.

There is only one thing now that I'm not happy with.

They don't like sitting on the bottom of the ocean for 10 hours.
:'(

Bugman

bugman
12-03-2003, 07:45 AM
oops

Lucky_Phill
12-03-2003, 12:06 PM
Maybe you didn't set the " altitude" correct.............. ::)

caveman
13-04-2003, 06:35 AM
sorry if this info is a little late but was cruising around the net last week and came across www.garmin.com and found a
few free up grades for most of the garmin gps,s but you have to read them carefuly asw if you upload the wrong one it will stuff the unit, but i did notice they will stop auto shut off and sticky button probs, hope this helps some one , i upgraded my gps last night doesnt seem to be any probs with the unit sofar

cheers caveman

Kerry
13-04-2003, 02:33 PM
There's upgrades available for most units but once the upgrades/updates stop (especially after several generations) then it's time to look a little into the future.

The last (second generation) update for the 12 was Sept 2000 and there will not be any further updates for the GPS12 as newer units replace/supercede it.

A 12 still does the basics but it won't be around for ever.

Cheers, Kerry.

Barnacle Billy
11-02-2007, 02:41 AM
My Garmin GPS 292 shuts off every time while underway at sea- but does not at home with boat on trialer.

WHy woudl this be so?

Barnacle Billy
11-02-2007, 02:43 AM
The reason I ask is because i had my GPS 12 for about 10 months and all of a sudden it starts turning off it it got the slightest bump! As you can imagine, fishing in a 16ft tinnie trying to hold the thing still whilst going up and down was just a trifle annoying, I took it back and they replaced it with a so called 'new' one although i have my suspicions it was a reconditioned one as the internal screen was lopsided to the frame, and now, after 2 months it is doing it again, it is bloody annoying as i live in Ballina and have to drive to the gold coast each time. I treat it really carefully and maybe ive just got a dud!

Sean, Did you solve this problem of shut down on your GPS?

If so, what do u think the reason was?

whiteman
12-02-2007, 02:24 PM
My 12 sometimes shuts itself off when I hit a wave in my little tinny. And they are not too water resistant as I have to clean the terminals every now and then and I make sure I take the batteries out between uses because of the threat of corrosion. Use rechargables. It's no chartplotter but still great for inshore work. Google oziexplorer for interface software.

onerabbit
17-02-2007, 08:22 PM
I used to really like my g12, especially the way the bread-crumb trail always spun around so the direction you were going was at the top, pity they didn't carry that particular feature on to the g72.

Unfortunately my g12 did a big swan dive out of it's cradle one day during a bit of a hectic bar crossing.( on the way out, bugger )..........thus the need for the g72.

Muzz