PDA

View Full Version : Sounders

scotty.emu
18-04-2003, 08:27 AM
Looking at purhasing a new sounder have had a few in my time but have always been in relatively small boats now i have moved in to a 19 footer and will be doing alot more offshore fishing. My concern is buying a sounder which will perform well offshore I always read these articles where blokes find the fish on there sounder i seriously doubt any sounder i ever had could do this accuratly [eagle and hummingbird 250 and 350s] Any thoughts on the subject with some idea of cost would be appreciated. Thanks

Heath
18-04-2003, 04:04 PM
Have a look at the Lowrance X88DF. We have that on our 20 footer & it craps on just about every other sounder I've seen. ( Mind you, I've never seen a colour sounder in action) the 320x320 display shows excellent bottom definition & it is simple to use.

Have a look at the Lowrance website for all the specs on the sounders. You can even download the simulators of the sounders. I did it while my X88DF was in transit. Learn't how to use the thing well before it was put in the boat ;) anyway, the simulators will give you a feel for the sounders. I think Humminbird also have simulators. Dunno about Garmin though.

banshee
19-04-2003, 09:09 AM
I believe that your sounder is everything,it finds you the fish.Why spend shit loads of money on a boat and scrimp on a sounder? It's a false economy(If catching fish is your goal). My previous sounder was an X-85,while this unit was good at bottom discrimination, it's fish finding ability was not good offshore.I believe the entry level sounder for offshore fishing should be something like a Furuno 600 L but at 2,250 dollars their not cheap.The ideal sounder for your type of fishing would be either a J.R.C. FF50 or a Furuno 582 L.(more money again).I have been using the 582 for some months now and can confidently detirmin wether the fish are Trag,Snapper or bait,Pearlies are still a hit and miss affair at present.There is simply no substitute for colour coupled with power.

scotty.emu
20-04-2003, 10:51 AM
Thanks for your advice people haven't been able to find a lowrance x88df to have a look at yet but the specs read ok. I do agree with again banshee on your advice but i think these sounders a a little out of reach for me [cash wise] also i'm not totally convinced on the furunos year they have a nice big clear display but i think they are a little underpowered [300watts RMS] compared to others. Looking at Hummingbird legend 2005 [about $1000] or navman have new release in fish 4500 [about 1500] this navman sounder is colour with a 5" tft screen also has two year full warranty followed by another 5 year fixed cost warranty [not bad]. Anyone got any views on these two?

banshee
20-04-2003, 01:15 PM
G'day Scotty,The thing that helped me the most in decideing which sounder to get was trips with guy's who knew how to use their gear.Don't purchase untill you have seen a few different makes/types in real life situations,if you don't know many blokes into offshore, join a club, most welcome new members.I saw the ad for the new Navman and at that price it's almost to good to be true,I have not come across any Navman gear so I can't comment on them.Hope this helps.

krazyfisher
20-04-2003, 01:29 PM
I had a humminbird legend 2000 on the boat I just sold and it was a great sounder It will be one of the sounders on my list it was great at finding fish and bait