PDA

View Full Version : GPS information

scotty.emu
18-04-2003, 08:32 AM
Looking a buying a GPS had a Garmin GPS 11 once before a thought it was almost impossible to use which scared me off the whole GPS thing abit. Now got a 19ft boat a looking to do more offshore fishing so a GPS is now a bit of a neccessity I've really got no idea what I need or what I need to spend if anyone could shed some light on the matter it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

mackmauler
18-04-2003, 11:31 AM
Garmin 126 suits me, price was around 5-600

whiteman
18-04-2003, 01:05 PM
My Garmin 12 works very well (for around $250) so if there is another Garmin that supercedes this old model, it will be very suitable for offshore. Make sure you get a portable unit that can use recharable batteries and cigarette lighter sockets for power.

Heath
18-04-2003, 04:06 PM
Definatly have a look at the Garmin 126 & 128. Both the same unit, except the 128 has external antenna.

Easy to use, good size screen & well priced

banshee
19-04-2003, 08:20 AM
I've had a portable unit in an outside boat and it was not for me,the small screen was a pain in rough water and the internal areil droped out on occasions.I think a dedicated G.P.S. or G.P.S./Ploter with an external antena would better suit a 19 foot boat.Ease of use varies between brands.Look into back up service and buy the best you can afford.

scotty.emu
19-04-2003, 05:59 PM
Thanks for your repsonses people but i tend to agree with banshee a would rather steer clear of a portable version with internal antanna. BANSHEE do you have any suggestions as to which ones? what are some of the better ones?

mackmauler
19-04-2003, 06:07 PM
Scotty, the 126 -128 isn't portable ;)

scotty.emu
20-04-2003, 10:40 AM
Mackmauler had a look at the 126/128 definetly an option but also had a look at navmans tracker 5100 little bit more cash at 1100 bucks but is c-map compatible probably at top of my list so far. Thanks
ps hows your fishing been of late

banshee
20-04-2003, 12:14 PM
G'day Scottie,after a lot of trouble during a 3-4 year period with a Global Map Sport (moisture),Lowrance upgraded me to an Eagle Journey(free).This unit performs well and has given me no trouble,Lowrances service is second to none.Having said that,if I had to shell out for one again my choice would be a Furuno GP 32($715).Next choice would be between what I have now and a Garmin 128.Although mine is a ploter I am of the opinion now that for what I do(fishing the same stretch of water for 11 months,hollidays 1 month elsewhere),the extra cost of the ploter is a waste.Depending on how keen you are you will sus out your local water in a reasonably short time,or you can get some one to show you how to convert locations from your chart into GPS co-ordinates.Hope this helps.

mackmauler
20-04-2003, 01:06 PM
scotty, fishing has been consistent, ive mostly trolled offshore and caught wahoo, ill be eating em for another month I reckon, Tuna have been strangely scarce lately, got to stock up on berley, will be a nice change to get some snapper on the table, where are you headed with the new boat?

scotty.emu
20-04-2003, 02:51 PM
Hey mack, new boat is a bit far stretched got it cheap but needs motor, new floor and transom and just a good tidy up probably take me a couple of months but should have it looking all smick after a coat of paint and some hard work.