PDA

View Full Version : lowrance sounders any good?

ANYFISH
24-07-2003, 02:01 PM
gday
i am looking for some advice on buying a sounder. i have been thinking of a lowrance modle but am still not sure what to get.i do a fair bit of bass fishing so a pretty good quality sounder would be handy. any help at all would be very much appreciated

sharkbait
24-07-2003, 02:24 PM
gday anyfish, I've use a lowrance x71 for the last 10 months and am pretty happy although I regret not going for a higher pixel count. my mates new boat has an x87 which is the goods, just depends how much you want to spend. If you are looking at high price/quality a bloke i know has a humminbird legend 2005, apparently they are the bees knees.

Lachie1
24-07-2003, 03:52 PM
From my experience and what i've heard around the traps the lowrance is better in most ways then the humminbirds ??? ;)

Lachie

banshee
24-07-2003, 03:57 PM
G'day Anyfish,I have owned Humminbird and Lowrance in the sealed units,although I believe all these units are basicly flawed,I would recomend the Lowrance because of their warranty and service.I agree with Sharkbait,get a high pixel count if you can afford it preferably with a minimum of 300 w RMS.

tonyp
24-07-2003, 04:23 PM
Look on the EAGLE website and have a look at the Fish Mark 320,
This means 320 X 320 pixels. very good sounders,same company and backup as Lowrance.

Download a simulator and try before you buy.

If this pic shows up it is a Acura 240 x 240 pixels and it is Bass under a school of bait fish.

tonyp
24-07-2003, 04:25 PM
and this is the results of a plastic bait hopped through them.

ANYFISH
30-07-2003, 09:18 AM
thanks for the info. i have ordered a lowrance x87 so i will keep you posted on its performance

zoomFishing
04-08-2003, 01:59 PM
Look on the EAGLE website and have a look at the Fish Mark 320,
This means 320 X 320 pixels. very good sounders,same company and backup as Lowrance.

Download a simulator and try before you buy.

If this pic shows up it is a Acura 240 x 240 pixels and it is Bass under a school of bait fish.

Hi Tony, i have some queries as I m about to get 1 fish finder. Is your Eagle 240 a portable unit? Can it run on 12 volt d.c battery? Can it be used for saltwater fishing where the current is strong?

Thanks mate :)

scott_b
05-08-2003, 05:29 PM
Gday anyfish
has the new sounder turned up yet if so whats she like.
wamjam

ANYFISH
06-08-2003, 05:09 PM
gday all
been out to crestbrook with me new sounder on sunday. verry impressed with it. i could seeschools of fish clearly and a spinnerbait on the screen in 80 feet of water. its a bit better than me old one. i'll ask a question about interferance with my electric motor on another post.but other than that i cant find any probs with it at all.
cheers anyfish

tonyp
07-08-2003, 06:15 PM
Hi Tony, i have some queries as I m about to get 1 fish finder. Is your Eagle 240 a portable unit? Can it run on 12 volt d.c battery? Can it be used for saltwater fishing where the current is strong?

Thanks mate :)

Sorry Zoom have just got back on here and saw your question.

My sounder is not portable,the one in the pic above is just screwed onto a Cutting board or just sits on top of a nelly bin. In my bigger boat it is fixed onto the console with a Ram bracket. They can all be bought as a portable but will cost for the unit.
Mine is 12 volts as all are as I am aware. They can be used for saltwater fishing and the part about fast currnet should not make much difference unless there is a heap of rubbish or weed of such in the current ,this may give a very poor reading.
If you want a deep sea unit I would jump up a unit to a more powerfull Lowrance,penetrates deeper into the wild ocean.
Hope this helps.