PDA

View Full Version : VHF radio help

Cheech
15-04-2004, 11:25 AM
I have a VHF radio in my boat, but not really sure how to use it. Was on the boat when I bought it but never got around to getting to know it and do not have the manual.

Is a GME Electrophone GX548.

I think I know how to set the squell, but the other options I don't know.

There are 4 lights that are labelled

- AUS
- LO
- TX

I suppose - 16 is a shortcut to emergency frequency 16, and - LO is just a hi/low sensitivity, but have no idea what -AUS and - TX is.

Also, whilst I am out on the water, is there any channel around Brisbane that people generally stay tuned to?

Regards,

Cheech

Kerry
15-04-2004, 12:02 PM
My recommendation, do the operators certificate and you will know everything you need to know about operating a VHF.

The other way you could look at this is that it is not legal to operate a VHF without the appropriate operators certificate.

And since you appear to be around Brisbane then Victioria Point VMR (I believe) have been running (and will be running some more?) courses especially for VHF qualifications.

Maybe those on the site that did this course might add some more #:).

Cheers, Kerry.

Gorilla_in_Manila
15-04-2004, 12:13 PM
Cheech,
The hi / lo is likely to be a hi/lo transmit power (1or 5 watt) I'd think. The Tx light will just come on when you are transmitting, and will go off when you release the handset button. Others.... dunno.
As Kerry suggested, do the course. I did it ages ago in the surf club, but planning on doing it again if I get involved with boats.
Cheers
Jeff

Jeremy
15-04-2004, 03:47 PM
As Kerry and other said, do the course. You will learn all you need to know about operating one and also correct protocol. There are very heavy fines available for people who use VHF without a licence ($75, 000!), but I don't think a fine has ever been imposed.

But...
16 = channel 16
AUS = Australian VHF channels. Other option is USA
LO = low transmitt power. You should use this always except in emergencies
TX = transmitt

Channel 16 is the calling and emergency channel. 73 is also a calling and backup emergency channel. Most times you can call up the local VMR or CG on 73. It is courtesy to observe radio silence for 3 minutes on the hour and half hour in case of weak emergency calls.

Jeremy

Cheech
15-04-2004, 05:57 PM
Thanks guys. That covers all the options and makes sense.

Will consider the course. Someone else once mentioned that you needed a licence, but if I ever needed to use it in an emergency, I probably won't care if they fine me or not. As long as I was alive.

So till I get a licence, I think the best I should do is understand the functions, ensure it is working, and only use it in an emergency and not got chatting to other boats.

Cheech

NQCairns
15-04-2004, 06:30 PM
Nah bugger the licence, it's a crock. Put an add in the paper to swap it for a good 27meg marine, no licence requirement for one of those.
There has been rumblings on here about the licence requirement being droped for this piece of safety equipment.
I do doubt the powers that be will do this for it will benefit most and decrease their powerhold somewhat. If it doesn't happen soon I will be swaping mine for 27meg. nq

bungie
15-04-2004, 07:11 PM
the manual

http://www.gme.net.au/support/Customer/manuals/gx548.pdf

Morlers
17-04-2004, 04:08 PM
Hi Cheech
The emergency channel is Ch 16 on VHF with supplementary Ch 67 (not Ch 73 which is a limited coast and ships station for calling and working).
Choose your local VMR operating channel (for Bundy its Ch 81) and press the "16" button for several seconds till you hear the beeps and set should then monitor both the Ch 81 and Ch 16 (dual channel). Alternatively if you are on say Ch 81 you revert instantly to Ch 16 by pressing the "16" button once.
I agree, you would benefit greatly by doing a course at local VMR and cost is not that much. If you don't know how to use the radio properly then you may not be effective in an emergency...worse still, not even heard.
Hope that helps a bit.

Morlers

Wesley_Pang
20-04-2004, 02:54 PM
Cheech,

I just got my Marine Radio Operators VHF Certificate of Proficency(MROVCP) in the mail today. I'm legal allowed to operate a VHF radio though I had one on my boat for a while.

A few of us Ausfisher did a course/test with Victoria Point VMR a couple of weeks ago.

The money was well worth it.

Wes

P.S. I've got the same radio.

Cheech
22-04-2004, 03:44 PM
Thanks Bungie, I printed off the manual today. Is a big help.

Will still look at doing the course. Wesley, what was the cost of the course?

subzero
23-04-2004, 06:20 PM
Currently $65-00. That includes the book, which you are legally required to carry on the vessel with the VHF, and the Radio Test.
VMR Victoria Point makes NOTHING from the course, but does get the satisfaction of helping out Boaties that are interested enough to do the right thing. (That doesnt stop you from offering a small donation when you pass however).
I beleive the next course will be run on about the 22nd of June tentatively.
Contact Ian Fischer the Commodore via email at idf@bigpond.net.au if you are interested
You can read the manual online if you want, but unfortunately the print function has been disabled by th A.M.C
http://www.amcom.amc.edu.au/handbook/handbook2003.pdf