PDA

View Full Version : VHF Radio Information

fisho
04-05-2004, 11:21 AM
What are the regulations for using a VHF Radio in Qld waters on a recreational basis? #Are they seriously monitored? ???

Kerry
04-05-2004, 03:01 PM
.... Are they seriously monitored? ???

Meaning?

Cheers, Kerry.

fisho
10-05-2004, 05:58 AM
Meaning are licences / operater qualifications monitored seriously by the authorities?

Kerry
10-05-2004, 02:51 PM
Probably not as much as they used too in decades gone by.

Once their was a station in the Brisbane area which specifically monitored all of the HF traffic and very regularly would call stations, which were on the air. It was not the wise thing not to reply.

VHF monitoring by authorities? probaly not of great importance these days but I am sure if there was possible incompetence with respect life theatening situations then certainly expect some interest to be taken.

Normally if and when users start getting out of line someone will interrupt with appropriate suggestions and normally most will fall into line.

Cheers, Kerry.

Lucky_Phill
11-05-2004, 01:45 PM
Currently a licence is required to operate aVHF radio in Queensland. most offshore baots have them but very, very few owners / skippers have a licence. As far as I know, no one has been prosecuted for NOT having a licence while operating their radio.

But as Kerry suggests, if you play up, someone will sort you out. The radio is a lifeline in many cases.

Cheers Phill

fisho
13-05-2004, 02:47 PM
Question answered - thankyou ;)

snappa
13-05-2004, 03:26 PM
another question

yes i do have a licence ????

but its been a long time between calls on the vhf [using the 27 for years] now i have a new vhf radio and know the emerg. channels WHAT channel does every one listen too out fishing and general chat on. ;D ??? ???
also know about the daul watch :o

subzero
13-05-2004, 03:50 PM
Ch63 VKR Water Police (Dont call unless good reason)

Ch73 Limited Coast and Ship Stations..... Calling and working channel (Normally used)

Ch81 & Ch82 Repeaters

Distress and calling.. NOT WORKING CHANNELS... move off channel once coms have been established UNLESS you are in distress.... Ch16 and Ch67 supplementry

Ch6, Ship to aircraft... if you are talking to them, you must really be in dire straights :o

Port ops (Harbourmaster) Ch12 North Brissy River, Ch13 South of Brissy River. (I think)

Dual watch... To use select channel that you want to use for your routine on water stuff, probably ch73, select dual watch. (DW). It will scan back and forth to the priority channel which is usually VHF16. (Normally how they work anyway).
Hope this helps

subzero
13-05-2004, 04:06 PM
I found this card thing Ian Fischer made up and posted on here a few weeks back, (VMR Vicky Point).
Try Printing this, laminating it, and keeping it in your boat.

subzero
13-05-2004, 04:11 PM
I will try again... didnt appear to upload properly >:(

smerl
14-05-2004, 12:20 PM
Peter,

21 is good for a few laughs if you are offshore when the billfish comps are on.

Cheers,

Simon