PDA

View Full Version : Lowrance x91 depth range

OandaFX
16-06-2004, 06:34 AM
My lowrance x91 struggles after about 70 metres over wire weed. Seems a bit better over a hard bottom. Is this normal or do some of you have such a unit who have been able to get better out of it than this. If so how deep etc can you push it.

Any help appreciated

Phil

littlejim
17-06-2004, 02:39 PM
Oanda,

with the supplied 20 degree transducer, on 'auto' mine cut out at about 300 feet in salt water. (What they call 'digital depth' let go too.)
If I went manual and set top and bottom limits I got at least another 100 feet out of it. ?maybe more? but that's how far out I went that day.

After a whinge to Lowrance that I expected better, I bought a 12 degree transducer plus switch on their advice.
The 12 deg holds the bottom for much longer and shows up more detail. However means the back of the boat is getting crowded with all the different bits hanging off, plus it is an advertisement for drag.

addendum: think the weather has let me out to about 500 feet since I bought the 12 deg and it still read the bottom.

OandaFX
17-06-2004, 07:08 PM
Littlejim,
thanks for that, I shall have a go at going manual first thing when the weather breaks.

You mentioned a 12deg transducer. How many $$ are those things and what is the switch you mentioned.

Reading the bottom, does that include picking up any fish or is that out of the question.

Thanks again

phil

littlejim
19-06-2004, 01:59 PM
phil,

the bits I bought were:

12 degree narrow cone angle transducer (part no. 106-39) and
SB-7X switch box (part no. 46-22)

they come with cabling. You end up with 2 cables coming from the back of the boat from 12 and 20 transducers they go into the switch one cable comes out of the switch and plugs into the sounder. You can switch from 20 to 12 as required.
Because I was p***ed off with the loss of bottom at 300 feet on auto compared to the depths mentioned in the blurb that made me buy the sounder, I rushed in and bought the extra stuff.

Recommend that you try the manual settings first, you might find the sounder does all that you want without the extra $$ outlay.
Prices quoted to me came to $418 aus purchased in Oz.
I bought my bits from the US for $373 aus.

I will try to PM you the correspondence I had with Lowrance Australia and the mob I bought from in the US.

The 12 degree does show fish and stuff that the 20 degree doesn't. because the beam is narrower you get a picture of what is more likely to be under the boat than with the 20 which has spread out a hell of a lot more at depth.