PDA

View Full Version : Lowrance GlobalMap 100

skippa
07-07-2004, 03:40 PM
Hi Guys,

Looking for any one who has or used a Lowrance GlobalMap 100. What are they like, are they easy to use and would they be suitable for mainly bay work with odd offshore trip.

The lowrance boys tell me my GlobalNav 212 can be upgraded to the same spec's and software, including maps for just under $600 (delivered back to my front door). Haven't looked around yet, so I don't really know if this is a good deal or not. Maybe cheaper to buy new unit? and maybe cheaper again to buy OS?

Any advice or experience would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Tony 8)

baldyhead
07-07-2004, 06:34 PM
Tony I have had a GM100 for 3 years and use it regularly for pig hunting exploits as well as off roading and also in the 16 footer. It is a great unit works well except for the internal lighting,( bloody pain in the arse) but overall great. I use it in conjunction with OziExplorer brilliant.
This is my opinion only, I would definitely NOT upgrade for $600 when you can buy an iFinder pro for around $300 that will do everything that the GM100 will and more.

Cheers,
Baldy

skippa
08-07-2004, 02:19 PM
G'Day Baldy,

Yep, I thought it sounded bloody expensive for an older unit (as good as it is). Will Have to shop around, and even investigate maybe buying OS. Still like a portable for its multifunctionality (wow that was a big word, did I spell it right?) Want to use it the 4by as well.

Thanks for your input.

Cheers,
Tony 8)

cheno
08-07-2004, 04:59 PM
Tony,

I have a Global map 100, works fine, quick to get a fix and has adequete features for its age. The screen is bigger on the new ifinder which is a good thing.

I also agree that the upgrade would be a false economy at $600.

cheno

cheno
08-07-2004, 05:02 PM
Tony,

PM me if you want an OS site to buy a cheap GPS. Friend bought a new Lowrance recently that was delivered in 4 days for way below local cost price.

Cheno