PDA

View Full Version : Matrix with PC connection

Burley_Boy
07-07-2004, 05:28 PM
I'm about to order the Matrix 37 and have started to look into the features with PC connection and external GPS hookup. Got plenty of info on the GPS so far and once I have it all rigged I'll post some info as getting a Garmin plug setup for $7,50 left me happy.

To the point, I saw Zeeke referring to his Matrix25 hooked up to a PC and I'm curious if the "PC Kit" comes with any software or is that separate? IF... I don't buy the Kit from Humminbird but just create the cable and hook it up what program do people use to run to recognise the hardware?

I just modified this post as I just checked the "Easy GPS" software thats been mentioned and it actually checked the serial port for a GPS so it must be a piece of cake to hook one up.

Eventually I'd like to be able to create my own maps on the PC with logged in waypoints. How are others using the interconnected technology? Can you scan in maps and place waypoints on top etc?

bungie
08-07-2004, 01:57 AM
You register your matrix on their web site and get free access to the software. They supply a cable to the PC and one to connect to a 9volt battery, but I found the battery had problems keeping the unit running so I have a 12 volt sealed battery to run it.
Cannot remember what I paid for the cables, it was a while a go now. But the plugs to connect to the Matrix are very specific different shapes for power, data, barometer.

Zeeke
08-07-2004, 07:58 AM
your lookin at $49.95 for the Humminbird Matrix PC Connection Kit .. $19.99 US if you order over seas.. pretty bloody expensive for 2 lil cables.. but worth while if you wish to upgrade matrix software or add/remove GPS marks simply by hooking it to the PC. you can also save marks on ur comp so you can have marks for certain areas and ur right, it is simple, just plug matrix cable to a serial port, switch matrix on, open up software from Humminbird website and it auto connects.. you wont get the computer searching for PC drivers all the time or anything..

Tim

Burley_Boy
08-07-2004, 02:18 PM
Cool stuff, are you able to scan in maps to your PC and lets say save GPS marks and ideally even save sounder pickies that you can recall later?

caveman
08-07-2004, 04:17 PM
i cant work any of it out it just dont seem to work for me

Zeeke
08-07-2004, 04:27 PM
nah ya cant unfortunately.. very basic system for the gps

Tim

Burley_Boy
09-07-2004, 11:58 AM
Wazza matta caveman? ???

caveman
09-07-2004, 03:09 PM
i just think i'm to bloody dumb mate

Burley_Boy
10-07-2004, 05:47 AM
I just like problem solving mate, one step at a time is the go with this sort of stuff. This forum is great to stretch your horizon and see what can and can't be done especially on a budget.
I found the small Garmin a bit of a drag to try to see the map on as its so damn small, so to hook it into a sounder and see the track offshore as I go out feels like a cool idea.

The other issue I had was pulling out a dirty great big chart and figuring where I wanted to go and then trying to figure out what the GPS coordinates would be in that area. I have a wad of GPS co-ordinates but my mind would like to see those co-ordinates on an actual map so I can decide whether I want inside edge outside edge etc etc not just a bunch of numbers. I suppose they will mean more once I get a sounder that can actually get some real bottom definition at 50M and I can decide which marks are worthwhile keeping.