PDA

View Full Version : Why get a VHF licence?

brenmer
10-11-2005, 01:41 AM
Been looking at a VHF radio for the boat, but obtaining the licence seems to be a bit of a pain in the b#m, not to mention the cost of the licence. Now, I have been using the 27meg for some time now and take pride in the use of correct radio procedures. I have a VHF licence, but not a marine VHF one. The purpose of buying the VHF is for safety as I tend to head out to far for the 27meg plus I want the weather updates etc.

What’s to stop me from just buying the thing and using it? Im sure there must be a fine, but I know a lot of guys do just that #;). If it’s for safety purposes, why do they make it so difficult to have? :-/

ShaneJ
10-11-2005, 08:20 AM
If thats the way you feel, forget the licence.
I work in the radios comms industry and I can tell you now that the ACMA doesn't put many resources into catching unlicenced fisher people.
To be safe, just make sure you have the radio turned off if anyone you dont know comes near your boat.

Wyoming
10-11-2005, 12:43 PM
Yep - I reckon the ratio of licenses to VHF's is about 1:5 and I'm sure the ACMA turn a blind eye to VHFs fitted into boats. They are no-question superior to the 27mHz, better range and fewer dickheads ( I can't remember the last time I switched on my 27!)

The licence is not too demanding and you will find that the VMR's put on various free courses that result in a licence - send a PM to Subzero at Redland Bay and I'm sure he will set you up.

Another nice feature provided by VHF is the emergency reporting feature via digital signal to Marine Rescue Authorities. The radio interfaces with your GPS and in a crisis situation, you hit the Jesus Button on the set and your Lat / Long is transmitted so that SAR can be triggered.

Neil

vermin
10-11-2005, 02:59 PM
Is there anyone monitoring the VHF / DSC emegency signals in Queensland?

brenmer
10-11-2005, 03:52 PM
Thanks Niel, I will get in contact with subzero :). The last time I checked up on doing the licence I was quoted over $300 and was looking at a couple of days doing the course >:( That was more than the cost of the radio, so I gave up ::)

Brenmer

propdinger
10-11-2005, 05:05 PM
copyed this from one of subzero's posts about the last one there doing for the year
its in the general section about 4 pages back

Course Costs and Requirements:
• The “COURSE” is Free to Waterside Assist and Active members
• Course fee $10-00 fee for non-members to recover our costs
• $26.50 (GST inc) Marine Radio Operators Hand Book IF REQUIRED
• $48.20 (GST inc) O.M.C Test for Certification
• A passport sized photo must be provided for inclusion on your life time licence when you sit the test

Study on line for your MROCP test at the Office of Maritime Communications
http://www.amcom.amc.edu.au/handbook/index.html