PDA

View Full Version : Which charts have most detail?

TheDeepSix
08-11-2005, 02:51 AM
G'day
I'm currently looking at updating to a chartplotting Gps. Workin in reverse I want to buy one that supports a chart with the most detail of reefs such as Deep Tempest, Wide Caloundra, Barwon Banks & the Hards etc, ie where I want to fish. From reading the forums it comes down to either C-Map NT+ Max or Navonics Gold series (hav'nt heard much about Bluecharts?). Hope I havent set a 'cat amongst the pidgeons' and hope you'se can set me in the right direction 8-)
Cheers

DeepSix

Mick_the_Fish
08-11-2005, 06:09 AM
DeepSix, I use bluecharts and find the detail to be exceptional. I would of thought all charts would be basically the same as they are all scans from the actual paper charts. The additional bits and pieces you get are from the sounder themselves, such as tide times and celestial information for your local area and I know Garmin units have that info on their Bluecharts.

The best option may be to go to a store that displays all the brands and look at the detail and options that are available that suit your requirements.

Cheers, Mick 8-)

trout3030
08-11-2005, 09:58 AM
C Map have just released C Map Max and Navionics should release Navionics Platinum some time soon i think. Both these series of charts are supposed to be better. At least they will include green zones for the GBR area. Might be worth checking them out also.

SundownMarine
08-11-2005, 10:00 AM
Deepsix,

Best thing you can do is have a look at them in action.I see you are in Brisbane ,just call into the store and have a look at all of them in the units that support them and that way you are not guessing.

In our opinion the Navionics gold and Bluecharts are at the top of the tree when it comes to detail,both give more than adequate detail for safe navigation.

SundownMarine

TheDeepSix
08-11-2005, 10:16 AM
Thanks for your help thus far. Sundown, I will drop in and check out your gear. Anyone I should ask for?

Thanks

SundownMarine
08-11-2005, 12:14 PM
Deepsix,

Call in anytime.

No need to ask for specific staff as all of our floor staff are ready and willing to help with electronics enquiries.

SundownMarine.

trout3030
09-11-2005, 10:39 PM
Sundown have you guys seen C Map Max and/or Navionics Platinum? If so what did u think of them?

rwells9999
10-11-2005, 09:47 AM
One issue that's not publicised is the fact that information in Queensland waters is the copyright of MSQ. For some time ALL chart have had 80% of the bouey info not shown. To see what I mean, have a look at a chart for waters south of Peel Island, then have a look at your electronic chart. No boueys on the electronic version. This is because MSQ has intoduced new licensing laws and till they all get sorted your Electronic charts will be minus 80% of that info. Needless to say we will all have to pay for the updated info when it becomes available. I have recieved in the past month a email from MSQ informing me that a mutual aggreement have been finalised with all the mapping companies, so be it Navionics, C-map or Blue chart, they ll get the same base info from the same place.

Robin

TheDeepSix
11-11-2005, 01:45 AM
Check out this Navonics Platinum image produced on their new card, the look of the future!? May have to go down this road for my new plotter..............