PDA

View Full Version : Koden CVS-833

camsharkman
11-11-2005, 09:08 AM
Just about to update to a colour sounder and have pretty much settled on a Koden CVS-833 600w model.
Does anybody have one of these units or a similar Kodan sounder - 118, 832, 841 etc. Any comments on Kodens would be appreciated

Thanks 8-)

magicpudding
11-11-2005, 09:17 AM
cam

We run a Koden CVS-833C. I find it a great unit, very similar to the JRC FF50 which we had in the old boat. If you can afford it, try to get the 1kw (thats what the c stands for), it makes alot of difference. The thing I prefer about the JRC was how you could adjust the depth range in increments of 5 meters, where as with the koden there's only 8 depth options.

CJ

camsharkman
11-11-2005, 09:25 AM
Thanks CJ. I did consider the 833C but the 1kw transducer is $900 :o That unit is probably a bit of overkill for what i want but I will certainly give it some more consideration.
Thanks

Bashir
11-11-2005, 09:55 AM
Im running a simrad at the moment because I got it very cheap, but after heaps of research I had my heart set on that same Koden/sitex sounder. If I ever upgrade again, I'll be getting the Koden probably. I like how they have 2 gain knobs so that you can adjust the gain for split frequencies. Alistar Mcglashan (spelling???) penned an article a while ago about how to choose a good sounder and he gave the koden a massive wrap.

Smithy
11-11-2005, 07:32 PM
Had the old CRT (Cathode Ray) 108 and loved it. That said prefer the JRC I am running now. Yet to play with a Furuno 582 which would be in the same league. I prefered the Koden to the 5.5" colour Furuno - the old CRT equivalent to the 600 Furuno. Also used the 106 Kodens which have less detail and they were fine old units. Like the look of the new Raymarine stuff and have used a C120 and an E120 but hate the digital stuff on them adjusting the gain on you and clearing up the picture for you when on the shelf. I agree with CJ and it is better to be able set your depths than being locked in set ranges. Our JRC lets you dial in anything in certain modes. Never struck it only letting you do 5m increments.

camsharkman
14-11-2005, 08:56 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys 8-)