PDA

View Full Version : 1 kw transducers

Tony_N
12-11-2005, 07:49 AM
Anybody know if these are available with a broad enough beam for shallow water fishing (20 - 80 metres?) #I'm told that they make a huge difference to a sounders capacity to discriminate fish and bottom structure. #Anybody using one??

Tony

its to go on a Furuno GP7000F

FishFinger1977
12-11-2005, 08:45 AM
Tony,
I was told they are overkill for water less than 100-200 meters and they will not read to good at all in shallow water. Don't know but it did cost more and he still tried to steer me towards the 600w option. Still have not decided as yet. I have looked at the sounder you mentioned and they are a very good unit, if you don't like it with the transducer i'll take it off your jands :) Regards Scott

Work_Bench
14-11-2005, 01:31 PM
1KW transducer if you use it in shallow water just simply turn the gain down , always fit the largest transducer that will fit and you can afford , bigger is always better.

Smaller transducers still work in deeper water but all they pick up is the bottom they are actually missing the fish.

I don't know if you are talking about a transom mount 1kw transducer (would be big) or a through hull , if it is through hull make you use the massive fairing block that is available.

Rob

Pointyfish
16-11-2005, 09:38 PM
I have a 500w sounder and use it with great success to find reds ( finding fish on the bottom rather than bottom structure ) etc off Dampier in 50+m of water. Took the boat to Exmouth and was able to find reds, jobies etc in 140m no worries. Lost the bottom in around 270m of water.

revs57
17-11-2005, 06:40 AM
I picked up a 1kw through hull jobbie for the new rig...only a couple of weeks now before we are in the water... So I'll post a result then...alternatively call Jason Bird at Sundown 32033007...he is a wealth good reliable of info on this stuff with heaps of experience...really knows his stuff and wont fill you with cr@p...he's an ausfisher too...email Jason on birdy@ausfish.com.au

Cheers

rhys