PDA

View Full Version : About to buy a handheld GPS-last minute advice?

stunnedmullet
10-11-2005, 03:47 PM
Hi Ausfishers
Well after watching the topics closely regarding hand held GPS units I have rung around and managed a good price(I think) on a Garmin 72. From all reports and feedback, it seems that this unit has had the best reports. I am also purchasing a safe n dry pouch and a PC interface & 12v cig lighter cable. As have never been down this track before, is there anything else I should consider before purchasing?
Any feedback/advice would be much appreciated.
Damo

redspeckle
10-11-2005, 06:24 PM
I had mine for aout 3 years now GPS72 I taken to it camping offshore & bayfishing and even been oversea's with it in another time zone had no problems yet with
The best thing about it you can punch in the set GPS marks before you can head out and use the map pointer as which give's you the distance between the fishing spots and from where you heading so you can work out how much fuel you need (I always reset the trip meter for each trip)
Can use Easy GPS software to down load you GPSmarks on the [smiley=computer.gif] and never lose them again burn on to disk or print them out
Mitch

GBC
10-11-2005, 09:45 PM
Sorry to be devil's advocate, but we are on our third '72 under warranty. I might just be unlucky but I couldn't recommend them. 1st one just died and wouldn't turn on, and the second one got wet behind the screen.
Anything from the GME factory is officially banned on our boat after the run I've had with their radios and gps's.
I also have a 10 Y.O. Magellan gps 2000 which is waterproof, and does go when you need it so maybe the update versions are worth a look.

stunnedmullet
11-11-2005, 09:12 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys. Real pain in the ar$e by the sounds of your experiences GBC. Hope I fair better.
The mullet

Mad_Barry
11-11-2005, 09:54 AM
I don't know if you need the dry pouch for it. They're sold as water proof & able to float if dropped over board. mine gets drenched at times with salt water (open boat) then it just gets a spray with the hose as I'm washing the boat. 2yrs & no problems.

stunnedmullet
11-11-2005, 10:57 AM
mmmmm good point about the pouch Dicko. ::)

Mad_Barry
11-11-2005, 12:04 PM
Maybe try and get the cradle mount for it. It's a pain in the bum holding it or leaning it against something while steering close in on a mark. I tried a few unsuccesful variations of my own before I succumbed to handing over 40 or 50 odd dollars for the genuine mount. It does work good but shit, I can't see a plastic swivel baracket being worth more than about 5 bucks ;D

Mick_the_Fish
11-11-2005, 05:26 PM
Damo, have used a Garmin 76 for years and a Garmin 12XL before that. Never had a problem, used them in choppers, boats, backpacking etc in some of the worst weather anywhere (wind, sand, mud) and never had a problem. Like Dicko says, just wash the crap off afterwards by rinsing in fresh water, and the mount is well worth the money.

Cheers, Mick 8-)

mako_5.2
11-11-2005, 07:57 PM
BIAS had some runout specials on their web site that might be worth a look

2DKnBJ
11-11-2005, 09:08 PM
Damo
If you buy the cradle you might look at getting the bare wire kit.I have mine wired through the fuse box so i don't have to worry abouy batteries.
Cheers Dazza

stunnedmullet
15-11-2005, 02:36 PM
Thanks again guys
mako 5.2 Did check Bias and they were pretty good pricewise. Mentioned these prices to the mart and they beat them by 10%. Contray to some peoples opinions I have found the mart to be pretty good customer service wise and they have done the right thing by me before.
2DKnB-don't have a fuse box, pretty standard battery hooked up to sounder and that's it. Will just go with the handheld GPS. Thanks for the advice though.
Damo

Cheech
15-11-2005, 08:19 PM
Damo,

What sort of a deal did they give you on the 72? I am considering changing to one so interested in the change over I will be up for.

Cheech

stunnedmullet
16-11-2005, 12:36 PM
Cheech
The mart quoted me $279 for the unit, $31.50 for the pc/cig lighter interface cable(GME) and $34.90 for the safe n dry pouch(GME)
BIAS had a better price for the cable and the mart beat it by 10%, apparently their motto.
Must admit I have not been able to fault their customer service after an issue I have had previously so if they give me the best price(by a fair way I might add) and back it up with good customer service the they will get my business. [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]
Damo

butcher
17-11-2005, 03:38 PM
Have my gps72 in cradle and have wired a water proof cig lighter with a fuse in the line to the battery. pretty easy to do and works a treat. no chance of getting gps knocked around by dropping all the time and no batteries to worry about.
Butcher

Y-Not
17-11-2005, 08:22 PM
Personally I went for a magellan meridian series over the Garmin nothing wrong with the garmin just my eyes could see the magellan screen better when I was moving about. [Pretty important when used in a boat]