PDA

View Full Version : motion trend vectors on GPS units

Tony_N
11-11-2005, 07:31 AM
I mentioned on another thread that Furunos (at least from the 1640 up) have this feature (ie motion trend vector) and how I reckoned that this was the 2nd most important feature to look for in a GPS unit (after accuracy). Nobody responded to that, so I'm probably flogging a dead horse. #However, I'm trying to help my son make the best $/function decision re a GPS/sounder and was wondering if this feature is available on other brands.

Basically what it does (if you decide to turn it ON) is put a line across #your screen from your boat position showing you the direction the boat is moving. This can be either with the motor on or if drifting. #So if you want to set yourself up to drift over a particular mark you simply put the boat in a drifting position above the mark so that the vector line goes through the mark as you drift.

If you want (as I prefer for bottom bouncing drifts) to drop your line directly on the mark rather than dragging sinkers through it, the feature is a fantastic help in that with practice you can set the boat up so that the rear of the boat is properly positioned when you drop your line so that the boat doesn't turn in the wind and current and take your bait off the mark .

Similarly if you want to anchor up, you adjust your boat's position above the mark so that the line goes through your mark/waypoint, get to an appropriate distance and drop the anchor. #Current affecting anchor rope might have some impact here.

Is anyone aware of this feature on other GPS/sounder combos? #I find it such a useful feature that I wouldn't consider buying a GPS that didn't have it.

thanks

Tony

bobp
13-11-2005, 10:08 AM
navman 6600 trackfish has it i think

Mantaray
13-11-2005, 01:03 PM
Has different names depending on manufacturer, normally referred to as a donkey's d.... JRC call it a Vector Ray, can be a short dick one or long one.

Tony_N
13-11-2005, 04:34 PM
thanks fellas #- donkeys dick - gotta love the Oz sens of humour :D

Tony

Wyoming
13-11-2005, 07:40 PM
Tony - you have picked up on a good feature that is seldom talked about, but I use it every time I fish. #With tide against wind not always in the fishermans' favour, the resultant vector is what you are after if you need to drift over a particular spot.

I have a Navman 5600 and it has this feature and bobp is correct: the 6600 combination also has it.

Like you, if I had to find another plotter, this feature would be a pre-requisite.

Neil

25_ponies
20-11-2005, 07:56 AM
Tony,

I've got a Matrix 47, the unit didn't come with this feature but I've just loaded the latest version of the software (3.080) and it now has a "course projection line", same as the motion trend vector. I suspect all Matrix units with GPS attachment now support this.

Cheers,

Ponies.

Tony_N
20-11-2005, 10:13 AM
Ponies - are you saying that you can upgrade the softwarwe on the Matrix? - now thats gotta be an attractive feature.

Tony

25_ponies
20-11-2005, 10:21 AM
yep, correct. They seem to release a new update every couple of months. It's user upgradeable as well if you have the cable (~$40). Otherwise a dealer can do it for you (spend the money on the cable!!!)

That was one of my reasons for choosing a Matrix.