PDA

View Full Version : GPS for PDA

romaniac
17-11-2005, 08:40 AM
Hello
I have a HP iPAQ pda with current destinator 3 software and gps. I use this for road navigation. I want to know if there is any software available that is compatible on my PDA to use for ocean navigation on a boat. thanks

gavsgonefishing
17-11-2005, 10:40 AM
What are you trying to do, download points from the pda then upload to the boat gps?

romaniac
17-11-2005, 10:55 AM
no, i dont have a boat gps, was wondering if there are maps to use for the boat just like my street ones. But i need them to be compatible with a pda.

whichway
17-11-2005, 09:00 PM
Romaniac

Try Oziexplorer or Fugawi. I'm not sure if this is what you quite need.

Alternatively, buy a chart and get it scanned in by one of the larger plan printers - in Brisbane TJs should be able to do this

Hope this helps.

Whichway.

Mick_the_Fish
18-11-2005, 06:34 AM
Romaniac, Whichway has hit it on the head. Ozi Explorer CE is a great piece of software that allows you to use scanned or digital maps on you computer or PDA. It all works well and once you use it a couple of times, is quite easy. Be aware you need to purchase Ozi Explorer and also Ozi Explorer CE for the program to work. Scanning Charts is a simple affair either at home or as Whichway has said, have a commercial company do it for you. Once you scan the chart you need to calibrate it by imputting known points , a minimum of six, into the software, so you need to know how to read MGRS or Lat/Long. You need to be very careful with PDA's in salt air environments though, they are not designed for it and can rust up (internally) very quickly without even getting wet, unless you have a ruggedised PDA or case.

Cheers, Mick

gavsgonefishing
19-11-2005, 05:46 AM
Just looked at my oziexplorer, it looks like it can be made compatible for all gps's, the option is nmea only, all makes. I would be looking into the cable between the pda and the computer. My guess is you will have to get a cable witha serial 9pin? plug for the computer to the std pda plug.

Mad_Barry
20-11-2005, 10:31 PM
Here's an aussie site with a pda/palm pilot user & tech forum

http://www.mtekk.com.au/forums/index.php

I've noticed quite a few posts over there re which software etc for a GPS on a PDA.