PDA

View Full Version : Mounting switch panel in open tinnie

Rainbowrunner
11-11-2005, 09:30 PM
Where/how am I going to mount a 4switch panel in an open tinnie?
Need to seal from salt spray.
I heard of someone using a tupperware type box and silicon mounting it to the side?
Any ideas please?

Needmorerum
11-11-2005, 10:17 PM
RR, I've been through all this. A normal switch panel, the SS ones from boat chandleries, only lasted about 12 months. I've now gone to the proper waterproof version and haven't had a problem for well over 12 months now.
Use zinc wire to go with it and your laughing.

Cheers
Corry

Poseidon
12-11-2005, 11:05 AM
Go to an electrical wholesaler (Haymans / Ideal Electrical etc) and pick up a PVC weatherproof adaptable box, suitable in size to house the depth of your switch panel.

Remove the lid of the box and cut out the middle just large enough so the switch panel can fit inside, mount the switch panel to the lid with a good seal of sikaflex between the lid and the switch fascia.

Mount this PVC enclosure wherever you like with another good seal of sikaflex between the back of the box and the body of the boat. Another seal of sikaflex along the top and sides of the box after securing. Use a wet finger to get a good finish on the sealant where it will be seen.

Cables need to enter the bottom of the PVC box, you can also pick up PVC compression glands from the electrical wholesaler so that there is a seal around the cables also when they enter the box, circular cables will give you the best seal.

Fit off the switch panel, screw the lid onto the back of the box and Bob's your uncle. I've done this a few times on boats and the switches and wiring connections inside the box are as good as the day they were done.

Hope this helps.

Poseidon
12-11-2005, 11:11 AM
Cable entry

Mick_the_Fish
12-11-2005, 11:52 AM
Rainbow Runner, the option Cam proposes is the best way. In my old tinnie I did the same and never had a problem. Good Luck with it,

Mick

Rainbowrunner
12-11-2005, 04:46 PM
thanks guys much appreciated.

bushbeachboy
22-11-2005, 08:37 PM
Rainbowrunner,
I did my old tinnie the same way and had no probs.
Cheers