PDA

View Full Version : jrc ff50....

yockman
14-11-2005, 05:29 PM
Hi guys,
Please tell me this sounder if you have one, the good the bad & the ugly. need info asap
thanks in advance,
yockman

propdinger
14-11-2005, 05:48 PM
i have had one for a few months now its a great sounder still learning to us it so far its as good as the furuno 582 just it has the extra bottom discrimantion lock (spelling). i love it as a sounder only problem i have is i got a haines 650f boat and its got alot of plaining strakes so after 15knotts i lose the bottom but it still shows the depth (the hull is one of the worst to get a good sounding from at speed). apart from that the sounders awesome but you cannot use it on auto you HAVE TO use manual operation for best results

cheers
jeff

yockman
14-11-2005, 06:28 PM
Thanks propdinger.
Out of interest, have you had it in deeeep water, 1000'+ ?

cheers,
Yockman

the_bomber
14-11-2005, 09:59 PM
Hi Yockman

I received your PM but the 'puter tells me until I have put up 10 posts I am not allowed to PM you back.

I have a f500 plot which you may know is the chartplotter/sounder version of the ff50 but without a few of the ff50 features.

As far as a deep water sounder goes the ff50 is the duck's proverbial for amatuer fishos without getting into the megabuck sounders used by the pros.

I haven't fished in more than 150 metres so I can't comment on how it would go in 300 metres. It has some grunt at 600 RMS but I would defer to someone who has fished that depth. If you haven't done so already, PM Finding Time as he has one and will rave on to you for hours about it. He may also know someone who has used it at that depth.

Good luck!

Rob

yockman
15-11-2005, 06:04 PM
Hi guys,

Bought this unit today - absolutely stoked. Blue eye better look out, yocky's comin'.

Thanks for your replies above and also to all the guys who pm'd me with details.

Unfortunately it won't get out of the box for a few weeks yet but when Christmas comes...

Will prolly get back to you for a few tips on getting the best out of it.

Cheers,
Yockman

yockman
06-12-2005, 09:31 PM
Finally got this thing installed y'day and went for a run on the river. It's only 30-40' deep but held bottom clean at 65kph, so I guess the trannie's at or very near ok.
Won't get to the deep for till Christmas but I'll leave it where it is for now

One question, what do the ferrites do and do they go on the td cable or power cable? The manual doesn't say which one.......

Cheers
Yock

Thunderbird
07-12-2005, 06:21 AM
If you're refering to the magnet type thingo with a hole in it.Transducer cable yorky!
And they just act as an interfearance filtre.
Doesn't seem like you need them on if the unit's working as good as you say it is.
Throw it on anyway.

finding_time
07-12-2005, 03:27 PM
If the sounder is reading without interferance i would leave well enough alone, I dont use them on my FF50 and it reads at 50km's no probs if you need any info about the unit just pm. me

Ian

yockman
07-12-2005, 08:25 PM
Thanks guys and I'll take up your offer of further info if needed. The manual is thick but very basic
-" this is how you change setting x, this is how you change setting y" etc but no real info on how to get the best from it.

magicpudding
08-12-2005, 12:06 PM
Good to hear it's going well. I never noticed a difference with or without those magnet things, but we put them on any way. The menu setup ont he JRC is really user friendly, I would say spend the time mucking around with the sounder in demo mode rather than reading the manual. There are alot of details which aren't in the manual.

CJ

Tracker
08-12-2005, 09:13 PM
yep,turn off the auto and learn to drive it,fantastic!
we open the bottom up and it works great.
cheers.

Smelly
22-01-2006, 11:46 AM
i have had one for a few months now its a great sounder still learning to us it so far its as good as the furuno 582 just it has the extra bottom discrimantion lock (spelling). i love it as a sounder only problem i have is i got a haines 650f boat and its got alot of plaining strakes so after 15knotts i lose the bottom but it still shows the depth (the hull is one of the worst to get a good sounding from at speed). apart from that the sounders awesome but you cannot use it on auto you HAVE TO use manual operation for best results

cheers
jeff

Jeff, I have a Haines 530 - also with plainning strakes - does this mean bottom lock would be ineffective?