PDA

View Full Version : Matrix 97X Combo - Good or Bad?

RayB
27-03-2006, 09:52 AM
I am interested in any comments about the Matrix 97 Combo both good and bad. I was going to buy Lowrance but I am scared off due to the fact they seem unrepairable and are a throw away unit when it fails.

I have been quoted $1700 for the unit. Extra $100 for Quad Beam and also $150 for WeatherSense unit. The comes to just under $2000.

My fishing application is mainly impounments chasing Bass & Barra.

The only negative comment I have picked up so far is that they seem to have a low pixel count but having never used one I wouldn't know if this sounder was up to the task or not.

The positive is that I can't seem to find any units for a similar price that have the quad beam option.

cheers
Raymond

mod3
27-03-2006, 08:29 PM
I have been quoted $1700 for the unit. Extra $100 for Quad Beam and also $150 for WeatherSense unit. The comes to just under $2000.

cheers
Raymond
I'm sure Humminbird do a transducer exchange program with their dealers. Quads swapped for duals at same cost. Maybe the employee at the store you visited was pullin your leg or simply isnt aware of it. Go back & tell him to look into it or go to another dealer. A mate got his his Matrix 87 swapped over to a quadra beam at no extra cost.

Regards.

Darren_R
28-03-2006, 05:58 PM
Gdat RayB, I have a Matrix 97 combo and it is a great unit. I can not fault it. I have mainly used it for Impoundment Barra, Bass and close reef fishing offshore. That price is ok because I paid $2000.00 for mine without the quad beam and weather station. I use the gps componant heaps and mapping card. I am selling my boat at the moment and I dont care if the sounder goes with it as I would probably by the same one again. It is very simple to use and has all the features you need and more.
Darren

banshee
28-03-2006, 08:13 PM
The Humminbird that I owned was unrepairable(sealed inside cartridge),granted it was a while back but I would be surprised if they weren't still using a sealed unit inside there cases,if they are they to will be a throw away after warranty has expired or a replacement if they croak during warranty.

Fitzy
29-03-2006, 10:00 PM
The Humminbird that I owned was unrepairable(sealed inside cartridge),granted it was a while back but I would be surprised if they weren't still using a sealed unit inside there cases,if they are they to will be a throw away after warranty has expired or a replacement if they croak during warranty.
THe birds are all fully servicable & repairable so they aint thrown in a heap if there's a problem & you retain your residual warranty (not 30 days only on a replacement unit). Some of the real old birds may not have parts available for them any longer tho.
Fixed price repairs after warranty is expired from Wide series onwards I think. I can confirm, if anyone needs to know a specific model send me a PM or simply call BLA on 07 3907 5500

I'll check up on the transducer exchange thing & reply.

Cheers,

fitzy..

RayB
30-03-2006, 09:22 AM
fitzy,

Do you still use a Matrix 97? How did you find it for impoundments etc?

Also, should I go for the quad beam? Is there any real benefit?

cheers
Raymond

Fitzy
30-03-2006, 08:13 PM
fitzy,

Do you still use a Matrix 97? How did you find it for impoundments etc?

Also, should I go for the quad beam? Is there any real benefit?

cheers
Raymond

Yep, still got it & happy with it. I find it great for the impoundments. The quad beam is handy for narrowing down where the fish are, good for finding the breaklines (tells you left or right). 90 degrees is better than 60 for sure.
I'd rather have a 981 or 987 but I aint got the doe for em yet.

Cheers,

fitzy..