PDA

View Full Version : MISSION POINT 19 OCTOBER

Araby_Dog
06-10-2002, 05:20 AM
Hi Guys,

Only 14 more sleeps until the next Ausfish M&G trip.

Me and Dom haven't been here before so for starters we'll bring along a gas stove, table, 20lt fresh water plus our normal gamping gear.

Just the 2 of us coming in the Deficator.

Big_Kev
06-10-2002, 06:13 AM
I also have not been before .
Can anyone tell me what the anchorage is like and how deep or will a tinny be required to beach it overnight,and to go fishing in?
Thanks Reel Hard .

gruntahunter
06-10-2002, 07:59 AM
Hi reel hard .Mate anchorage is sandy bottom and is quite steep into deep water so any size vessel is fine.It gets a bit shallow at low tide going out from Donnybrook but keep up on the plane and you got no worries. The channels are all marked really well .
The camp sites are pretty level and there is a toilet there. There is a natioal park charge of $5.00/ person which is to be paid in the appropiate box.
As for the fishing spots a tinny is obviously better if u want to get right up into the creeks but the mouths are all deep water.
Hope this helps.
Oh you can have a fire going by the way so I will be taking fire-wood for cooking and boiling the crabs. ;D

gruntahunter
06-10-2002, 08:03 AM
Sam there will be 4 in the gruntahunta boat and i also will take fresh water. firewood and barbie plate, crab cooking pot AND rid,dettol,babyoil mixture.......don't forget it.....be warned!

gruntahunter
06-10-2002, 08:19 AM
Hey guys if you are after worms for this weekend I suggest you book them.This bloke is really helpful and has never let me down.It's near the Caltex servo.

TACKLE SHOP THE
1754 Gympie Rd (07) 3862 9015
OR... (07) 3263 4321
Fax (07) 3862 8388

Big_Kev
06-10-2002, 09:16 AM
Thanks for the advice Grunta .
Count me in.
I will be solo so have room for one more .
I will bring a bag of wood for the fire and may be able to get there on the friday arvo hopefully .
I can bring a gas lantern for some light to watch the dancing by , cant wait to see this show .
Regards Reel Hard

Fisherman02
06-10-2002, 09:31 AM
hey guys
is it worth bringing the surf rod and alvey, and maybe some pillies (the mushy ones :D) ?

cheers jack

gruntahunter
06-10-2002, 09:52 AM
No mate, surf is way way yonder (unless u can cast about 20k's) unless u want to throw it off the bank at night into the main channel and try for a jewie or 2. ::)

Fisherman02
06-10-2002, 09:54 AM
yeah might as well it is two piece,
Is that all you can get in the channel or are there other fish that will take a pillie?
cheers

Touchy - R.I.P.
08-10-2002, 01:43 AM
Anyone without a boat that wants to go & can get Friday off let me know I now have a spare seat Cheers T.><> ><> ><>.

MICHAELG
08-10-2002, 04:28 AM
Hi Guys

I camped there on Friday Nite. Went up there to party with Col (Fisher Boats) it was his B'day.
Got a feed of crabs. I found the northern end was best, a bit muddy in front of the toilets a low tide.
A few schools of tailor were incounted south

gruntahunter
08-10-2002, 09:05 AM
Hey michael,where did u get the crabs mate and ur right the nortern end is much better as it is steeper back into the water with sand not mud and rocks

MICHAELG
08-10-2002, 11:38 AM
Hi Gruntahunta

around the mouth of glassy in the deeper water. the tailor were south of Yellow X out from donnybrook near the Shoal marker sign. Also there were heaps of greasy prawns jumpin. I will take my net next time

the best thing was no noisy jetski's. I usually do the pin area & u cant swing a cat without hitting one

webby
08-10-2002, 03:26 PM
Was wondering what the tide time difference is from bribe bridge to mission point. fellas
regards

gruntahunter
09-10-2002, 01:21 PM
mission point is near Donnybrook so look for the tides there but the passage is funny this far up and further as the tides come and go from both directions.

Brian
09-10-2002, 04:56 PM
I will be there with my deckie (son) and will have firewood, 20 l of water, table, gas stove and light.

I will be there on the friday after my night shift so i guess about 10 - 11 ish.

As for the tides friday low 1.53 am & 1.46 pm and high at 7.46 am & 7.56 pm

Sat - low 2.26 am & 2.27 pm
high 8.21 am & 8.30 pm

Sun - low 2.56 am & 3.03 pm
high 8.55 am & 9.01 pm

Add 50 min to the above for donnybrook.

I would suggest people take some firewood as there will be none there.

Should be a good time and will be good to meet others off the site.

gruntahunter
10-10-2002, 01:33 PM
Hey Brian r they brisbane bar tide times mate?

gruntahunter
10-10-2002, 01:39 PM
Brian do you know what the tides are mate , will it be running like buggery or not?
bricks in the crab pots maybe.
I think its full moon on the Sunday

Brian
11-10-2002, 04:52 AM
They are brisbane bar times donnybrook you need to add 50 mins.

The tide will flow at a fair rate as there is about 5 foot movement but should be no problems with pots.

Glassmountain Ck should be a top loaction at the moment for crabs as would some parts of Tripcony Bight (just opposite Mission pt)

Brian

gruntahunter
12-10-2002, 01:18 PM
only 7 more sleeps

Araby_Dog
13-10-2002, 04:13 AM
Hey guys about the bait....were gonna get some worms but we've never fished Bribie area before and were wondering what the yabby bank situation is like up there?
Are they close to the campsite? are they prolific enough...

7 MORE SLEEPS!!! ;D

gruntahunter
13-10-2002, 04:32 AM
should be no probs getting yabs Sam, I'll make a deal with you.I'll show and you pump.OK? lol ;D

Araby_Dog
13-10-2002, 04:53 AM
Hey Grunt! No wuckers mate we got the yabby pumping thing down pat. With a little TEAM EFFORT we'll be able to provide yabbs for everyone.
Me and Dom were planning our trip last night and he wasa concerned about running out of worm bait, but i said there would be plenty of yabbs up there.

Were also bringing a friend along his name is YELLABELLY he's from Roma and cant wait to come along

Brian
14-10-2002, 06:08 AM
There are plenty of good yabby banks close and these will produce with little effort more than enough yabbies for a full days fishing. These banks will also produce some good whiting.

There are a few locations you can dig your worms although i have never tried it to much like hard work.

Just be aware a few banks north of camp if you jump out you well be up to the crown jewels in mud, not that i've been caught before ::)

A walk south of camp will put you onto some good banks to chase flathead and a 2 min walk north will put you at a great night whiting spot. To fish this spot, best to have some dead are not so lively yabbies pump the area as the tide rises and toss the dead yabbies out closely followed by the one on your hook and wait for the action. More than a few 500 - 600 gram whiting have been caught here.

Also at night where we are camped you can live bait or strip bait fish the ledge and you will stand a good chance of a cod or mangrove jack if you can get them over the ledge. :)

My son intends on bringing some bigger gear for some night action at the ledge.

As for Mudcrabs Glassmountain ck is proberly the best option although don't leave a float on over night otherwise you may not have a pot the next day http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm23.gif A sad reflection of the times. If you prefer to work your pots there are other close by locations that will work as well. Chicken frames from what i here are the best baits to use.

So bring a few pots as the sound of chillie crab for dinner sounds like a good idea for Saturday night ;D ;D

There are plenty of grunter about as well and genie pig pellets are the best and used as burly to attract these fish. They can be chased in glassmountain ck or up coochin ck

As for mangrove jack due to the big movement in tide i would prefer up elimba ck along the rock walls. This is also a good spot for flathead. Not sure how the mouth of this ck is at dead low maybe a tad shallow but well worth an explore for chasing the flathead as the channels are narrow.

Anyway if you have never been to donnybrook before there are so many options it will be hard to figure out where to start :)

Don't worry about the sand flies i killem all last weekend ::)

Don't forget the firewood however if someone in a bigger boat can take it over i will cut a heap up and put it in a few milk creates.

Who's going up the friday ???

5 sleeps to go ;D ;D

mon
15-10-2002, 05:48 AM
Hi Guys,I missed the beginning of the trip details. Does everyone go up for Friday and saturday night? If so when are you arriving/leaving? I'd love to come along. There's just myself in a 4.2m boat so if anyone needs a ride.

Cheers MON.

Dominator
15-10-2002, 06:22 AM
Howdy Mon, I think that everyone is going at different times. I will be heading up early Saturday morning with my crew (Araby Dog and Yellabelly). Will be bringing firewood.

gruntahunter
15-10-2002, 03:03 PM
hey I,m goin Friday arvo and will bring shitloads of firewood, just have to do 2 trips thats all. Got my young fella ..member "freddo" and one of my staff .
Looks like theres quite a few rollin up so we might have to double up or even triple up at the camping sites, so think about this when you erect your tent fellas.
See you all there.

Touchy - R.I.P.
16-10-2002, 01:42 AM
G"Day Dom,The last time I was there the best section was out from the main camping area but at the top end,it was a bit muddy at low tide on the bottom side,I should be over there 'round noon on Friday.cya.Touchy.><> ><> ><>.

Dominator
16-10-2002, 05:23 AM
Hey Grunta, you mentioned that you would be bringing one of your staff, just wondering if that staff member is a truck driver.LOL ;D ;D

gruntahunter
16-10-2002, 01:16 PM
yes Dom :o :o

Brian
16-10-2002, 02:54 PM
I will be there Friday around 10 - 11am with my son. I will be in a 12foot tinnie powered by a 15 johnno which has ANSA stickers on each side rear and North Brisbane Sport Fishing Club stickers on the rear. Naturally skippered by a GOOD LOOKIN CHAP ;D ;D

At this stage i will be camped North of the Toilets. My tent is a four men green sides & yellow roof.

Brian

Dominator
18-10-2002, 09:35 AM
I was just looking at the weather reports for the weekend and it looks like it might be blowing up.

How is Mission Point when the wind is blowing NW 15-25's?

Are there places to fish that would give protection from the wind?

Dominator.

gruntahunter
18-10-2002, 03:08 PM
yeah Dom, there is plenty of spots mate, sometimes it gets a bit ruff in the main channel but take it easy and you're fine.

Big_Kev
18-10-2002, 03:17 PM
Hey grunta is the anchorage good in a wind I was gonna camp on the boat and dont want rock and roll all night if I have a couple of beers .
Reel Hard

gruntahunter
18-10-2002, 03:26 PM
No probs Realhard , its like east west in front of the camp so NW or SE is fine.

Fisherman02
18-10-2002, 04:19 PM
g'day guys
me and webby will be coming up tomorrow night. Not sure what time we will arrive but we are leaving around 8pm.
cheers jack

Brian
18-10-2002, 04:27 PM
We'll keep the camp fires burning so you can see the light :) :).

Is that 8 pm from Brisbane or from the ramp ??

Fisherman02
18-10-2002, 04:31 PM
Brisbane, although I think the boat ramp is farely close from where we are meeting with Webby
cheers jack

Jack_Lives_Here
19-10-2002, 12:39 PM
Have a good trip people. Be safe and have a XXXX Gold 4 me.
Fish are just a bonus when you're with a good crew.

Fisherman02
19-10-2002, 02:00 PM
Will do mate ;) :D ;D :D ;D
cheers jack