PDA

View Full Version : OFF TO PRINCESS CHARLoTTE BAY

Dave_Robbo
07-03-2003, 06:23 AM
Hi everyone, A mate and I, in June are off to Princes Charlotte Bay, approx 300k north of Cairns. Im towing my boat and we are off for five weeks. CANT WAIT. I am destined to catch some GT and Red Emporer. If anyone has any tips on this trip or something, please let me know.
Thanks
Dave Robinson ???

Barrymundi
07-03-2003, 09:21 AM
Hi Dave,

Grab a copy of the LATEST zoning map before you go.

The link below will give it to you. The file is over 1meg.

I think the zoning in that area changed in the last 12 months. A lot more yellow and a bit more green.

Load the map and zoom into the bay

http://www.gbrmpa.gov.au/corp_site/management/fns/BRAQ211_FNS.pdf

original Link
http://www.gbrmpa.gov.au/corp_site/management/fns/zone_plan.html

Lucky_Phill
07-03-2003, 12:04 PM
The bloke to contact here is Barry Lyon.............

BJ & SE LYON
E-mail Address(es):
lyonsafari@bigpond.com
Personal Information:
Phone: 40695989

Think that is still his number. He has taken a new position as the Cape York Ranger, so may have moved house. But email should be the same.

Lucky_Phill
07-03-2003, 12:08 PM
Lyon B J & S E
Quarantine Bay Rd Cooktown 4871 (07) 4069 5989

This is the latest info I have. :)

peterbo3
13-03-2003, 05:30 PM
Hi BLUE-FIN,
I am sure you will have a great trip. I worked my trawler in PCB and points north in the 80's. Be advised that large saltwater crocs live behind places such as Night Island & the like. The western sides of these islands are often covered in mangroves with small tidal access creeks. We would often run across yachties anchored up in the lee of these islands & going ashore in tiny tenders in search of oysters or muddies. Thrillseekers! There are also plenty in the mainland creeks (crocs-not yachties). A good investment is Grants Guide to Fish - Red Bass, Paddletail & Chinamen all look really great but are major carriers of ciguatera. Southeasters start to blow early in june some years so it is often a good idea to get out & back early as it can get very lumpy up through there when wind & tide are in conflict because of the shallow water (Just like Moreton Bay).Fish heavy because there are heaps of big fish offshore. Both pelagics & bottom dwellers are still plentiful despite reports to the contrary. If you are going to use diving lures around the offshore bommies take plenty because you will lose plenty. Poppers seem to last longer because of the way they are used. Have fun!!!