PDA

View Full Version : Barrier Reef Trip June

marpau
07-04-2003, 06:32 AM
I will be joining some friends on a 4 day fishing trip to the barrier reef in late June. It has always been a desire (wish list) to be able to catch a marlin whilst trolling. As this is a Charter boat and will be travelling at 10-12knots I need to know what type of lure to use.

mackmauler
07-04-2003, 10:11 AM
Just my opinion :) the odds are not in your favour, for several reasons. Id be thinking about wahoo or yellowfin if it were me, and using weighted lures, hex head 40gram, 90gram or malisa 105, buy them rigged with a cable leader.

aquarius
07-04-2003, 01:07 PM
Marpau i caught my first marlin while trolling from a trawler cruising along at 10 knots.......I made up a lure as follows; get yourself a large blue plastic squid skirt and 2 ball sinkers to go inside the head.....next you will need 100lb mono trace say about 2 metres......snood 2 strong chemicaly sharpened hooks onto the line in oppersite directions and your've got a homemade lure...make sure the second hook does not extend past the bottom of the squid tenticles
Good luck for your trip up north mate...wish it was me going. ::)
Cheers #Brent

clutter
07-04-2003, 04:13 PM
Try Rapala CD18's or the bigger (8" to 10") bibless lures that tow from the top of the head. Think a "mackmauler" is one and think a billy bonito is another.

Clutter.