PDA

View Full Version : 1770 Easter

GMan
15-04-2003, 09:41 AM
New to the site, but would like some assist and/or advice re 1770 for Easter and the week following. Have a 15'tinny which is wide and deep and woulkd like to fish inside and outside.
Anybody got some advice/directions/tackle suggestions/bait etc that I should be taking/targetting &/or heading towards to enjoy the trip even more ???
Leaving Brissie Thurs before lunch and hope to arrive before dark, so start fishing Friday.
All assistance greatly appreciated.

Lucky_Phill
15-04-2003, 01:54 PM
The trip will take about 6 hours depending on stops, going via Bundaberg ( as it's all bitumen now ).

The creek itself at 1770 is fairly shallow and from my experience doesn't hold a lot of fish.

The flats across the channel on the east side of mainland will hold nice flathead, ( whiting fillets, pink shads or wonderwobblers ). There is whiting about those areas as well. You can drag net those flats for Gar, Mullet, Herring etc for using outside.

The locals and others troll the front of Roundhill Headland for Trevally, Mackerel.

The trip to Bustard Heads is a hit and miss affair. It's not that far in your boat. Fishing on the outside of Outer Rock is the best bet here. Even worth a trip further to Pancake Creek, fishing just round the corner and look in the water for the bombies etc. Estuary Cod, Stripey's, Wire nett Cod, Trevally, Squire.

The beaches behind Agnes do fish well for Dart.

I don't know much about Middle Creek, maybe someone else here can fill you in there. A bigger boat could see you out to my fav grounds.......The islands and Bolt Reef, Hoskyn, Fairfax, Musgrave etc.

Check into the shop at 1770 ( marine shop / chandlery ) and ask What's doin ?

Boat ramp is good. narrow channels though. NO Channel in the bar as such, just keep the green bouy on your left on the way out.

OH ! the Seafood Pizza at the 1770 shop on the corner is 10/10.mmmmmmmm !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Local weather is at 5.30pm on the tele.

Mozzies start about sundown, but aren' too bad.

You can usually see Dolphins playing in the bar / surf from the top of Round Hill Head lookout, looking north.

Have fun............. Phill

Big_Kev
15-04-2003, 01:54 PM
Welcome to the site Gman, you have picked a great spot to spend easter.
Take the boat and if the weather is good you can go out in that boat.
Or Just go up the creeks and smash some Jacks.Or get the flatties on the banks,or whiting on yabbies caught in the creek. Or go here etc etc . Have a fat one but be sure to let us know.
Have fun Cheers Reel.

GMan
15-04-2003, 02:37 PM
Guys, really appreciate the detailed info fr Lucky Phil. Obviously named so because he has been lucky enough to fish there a bit in the past.
Would either of you, or anyone else for that matter, know where I could get a detailed map of the 1770 area, rather than the very large map where 1770 is only a very small part of it??
I have stocked up today on Shads and Wonder Wobblers (previously been a Bait Drowner!) but am taking up a Bait Net and Livie Tank, so will hopefully be able to get some local fresh stock for bait also.

caveman
15-04-2003, 03:45 PM
also from what i've been told the sandlies and mosquitos are pretty friendly so take some repellant as well , Re the maps have a look at the tourist info centre they should have maps on the place

Lucky_Phill
15-04-2003, 05:11 PM
Sunmap Fishing Guide...." Capricorn-Curtis Region " should give you enough detail.

I use the Sunmap....Double Island Point - Seventeen Seventy. Has a inset for the Creek at 1770 showing beacons etc. You could try " Hempa Maps " for an aerial photgraph, which can be very helpful.

or contact www.fishfinderbooks.com as they have very good maps and photos.

cheers Phill

GMan
16-04-2003, 04:41 AM
Phil
Thanks very much for the excellent detailed instructions.
Your suggestion of Outer Rocks sounds fine, but to be compliant, do I need VHF & EPIRB?? ??? ??? ??? As I said new to the outside in my own boat, but I have seen some keen anglers between Brissie and MORETON Island in the Northern end of the bay in 13'tinnies and wasn't sure of the actual legal requirements for the area of Outer Rocks etc (On a calm day of course!!)

Given that I have a 55 on the back with 75 litres of fuel, that distance shouldn't be an issue, but I do want to play safe with all the Water Fun Police around especially over Easter. :-X

Araby_Dog
16-04-2003, 05:47 AM
Welcome to Ausfish Mate,

Thanks to all the members who have helped my mate out! I've been onto him for a while about our little community and how great it is. His first message back to me was how helpful you all are. Hope you get amongst them up at 1770 alan and hope to see you at the next Meet and Greet.

Welcome aboard ;D

Araby_Dog

Dominator
16-04-2003, 07:35 AM
Welcome to Ausfish Gman. ;) ;)

I'm sure you will find all members on this site to be very helpful and informative. (Except Sam) ??? ???

Hope you smash em up at 1770. ;D

Cheers,

Dominator.

Lucky_Phill
16-04-2003, 02:13 PM
Outer Rocks is 2 nautical Miles offshore and therefore requires an EPIRB.

Anges Water Fishing Club monitors the 27 Meg, VHF and HF radios on the following.

VHF....channel 16 & 81

27 Meg channel 88 & 94

HF channel 2182 & 2524

Their call sign is VLQ999 > Agnes Water

I'll post some pics for your info !

do you have a GPS, I'll send some marks if so.

Phill

Lucky_Phill
16-04-2003, 02:21 PM
pic from Round hill head looking east. 1770 tucked in behind trees to left. sandflats for baitfish. channel in foreground.

Lucky_Phill
16-04-2003, 02:22 PM
the bar, as such. looking north, and Bustard Head is at about 2 o'clock. notice no channel markers. DOH !

Lucky_Phill
16-04-2003, 02:23 PM
The ramp at 1770. notice the sand beach over the channel. Flatties there.

Lucky_Phill
16-04-2003, 02:24 PM
sorry for the low resolution on the pics, but wanted to make them as big as I could.

Jenny Lind creek is another place worth a try.

Phill

MangroveJase
26-04-2003, 10:58 AM
How goods Phill the infoman!
I know who I'll be chatting to before my next trip north.
What a guy!

MangroveJase

GMan
29-04-2003, 05:38 AM
Thanks to everyone for their input, with a Very Special thanks to Lucky Phil.

Despite all of his and my good intentions, that Hi Pressure system over SA and VICT, meant the 30-35 knot winds were almost constant every day and even a 24' KevlaCat only spent 30 minutes away from the boat ramp before being put away.

I will give some more details later this week but for now, it was very frustrating and I couldn't even go out on a larger boat fishing charter as they were all not prepared to go out in that weather.