PDA

View Full Version : Squid

Fisherman02
26-05-2003, 05:49 PM
hey fellas if anyone is going out next weekend and needs a deckie and perhaps some fresh bait in the lies of squid give me a yell either on the board, just getting into squid fishing and some people reckon im good luck ;)
cheers jack

sharkbait
27-05-2003, 04:59 PM
gotta hand it to you mate, you're damn keen. I wish I had a bunch of blokes to take me out when i was your age...

Fisherman02
28-05-2003, 02:58 PM
yeh mate
im very lucky to have such good friends on this board! As mackmauler has said I have almost caught every fish offshore lol. But I have never known so many guys keen to take a young bloke out fishing and teach them their techniques (which i gladly keep secret) fantastic
cheers jack

CHRIS_aka_GWH
29-05-2003, 10:48 AM
what fish (beach / boat) locally haven't you caught yet jack ?

chris

Fisherman02
29-05-2003, 03:33 PM
hey chris
cobia comes to mind apart form tha i cant think of any other fish that i haven't caught maybe most of the reef fish
cheers jack

mackmauler
29-05-2003, 06:32 PM
Jack, have you caught a jack :P There are that many fish out there oddballs will always pop up, I caught a redbass off straddy last sunday, a first for me. Some fresh squid would be good jack, it is good at the deep reefs, need some nice days again to go out.
Rob

Big_Kev
30-05-2003, 02:23 PM
Is this what you are looking for Jack.
Cheers Kev.

Fisherman02
30-05-2003, 03:12 PM
:o nice fish mate would love to hook up to one of those!
cheers jack

aquarius
30-05-2003, 05:08 PM
Hey Jack have you caught a snapper?coral trout?barramundi?banded sweep?blue gropper?threadfin salmon?sailfish?and the list goes on and on...mate you have caught a few species but there's hundreds more to catch...don't worry there's plenty of fish in the sea.[smiley=laola.gif]
Cheers #Brent
PS Nice cobia Kev.

CHRIS_aka_GWH
01-06-2003, 08:27 AM
I caught a redbass off straddy last sunday, a first for me.

speared one myself several years back on the rocks between French & Deadmans. Had to go to a book to work it out.

with the new stealth canoe jack could easily get a jack trolling the rock walls & causeway around the mouth of coombabah crk

chris

mackmauler
01-06-2003, 06:15 PM
Chris, that fish I caught was only a kilometer from there, actually while catching bait it jumped on, it seemed to me that it had a more uniform colour than a jack and a little more squarish for its size, and a bit of white on the edge of a few fins that I hadn't noticed on jacks, and no wavy blue line under the eye, plus the pit under the eye. they are edible in some parts, shame I don't have a cat to test the theory ;)
Rob

Big_Kev
01-06-2003, 10:21 PM
Rob the cat lovers will be all over you now.
It seems you have given up the secret of what happen to you last cat. LOL
Cheers Kev

CHRIS_aka_GWH
02-06-2003, 03:43 AM
from memory rob I ate mine with no problems. I thought the ciguetera (spelling??) was a more a problem Hervey Bay region north, mainly encountered down here with migrating ocean goers like Big Wahoo etc.

My bass was only about 40-50cm though. A wave smashed into the rock, in the foam I saw three shapes jump out of a crevice, took an instinct shot & came up with a fish I'd never encountered in this neck of the woods.

chris

mackmauler
02-06-2003, 12:20 PM
Kev, if all cats were that useful there wouldn't be a problem hey ;D Chris, fish like red bass are rare anyway here, in the waters of NQ they are considered high risk, as are paddletails and gallopers as are big trout and barracuda, spaniards, cobia etc, wahoo don't appear to eat the same bait as those species, namely small resident bright reef fish, or at least hang around one area long enough, some reefs appear to not be "ciguatera" reefs, local knowledge is often the way to avoid it in the tropics.
Rob

jaybee
02-06-2003, 01:38 PM
Jack next trip to mooloolaba will take you along, would love to see you a cobia like this ;D lots o grunt specially getting it into the boat after an hour or so
cheers.

Fisherman02
02-06-2003, 03:57 PM
sounds good joe!
cheers jack