PDA

View Full Version : Cook Islands - 1st November

Fishhard
18-10-2002, 07:10 AM
Morning All,

I'm off to the above for two weeks...

I shall be fishing whilst there (no joke I hear you say)..

Now the reason for me mentioning this is does anyone know of any contacts or some hot spots over there?

Love to hear from you..

Darryl. ;)

skippa
11-09-2006, 10:26 PM
Ahhh the Cooks,

We went there a few years back, fantastic place. Best Island in the group has to be Aitutaki, a small island about an hour flight from the main Island and capitial Rarotonga. If you like layed back and relaxed with the most sepectacular scenery with the most friendly people in the South pacific, then Aitutaki is for you. All you smell around the Island is frangipani, just beautiful. Aitutaki is the island the original Shipwrecked was filmed I believe. (on one of the 17 islands in the lagoon)

Main island is Rarotonga (Raro), you can be only 200mts offshore past the reef and fishing in 1000ft of water. There where only a few charter operators when we where there. Biggest operator had a yellow flybridge about 25ft which took out daily charters. We saw the usual Macks and tuna when he returned each arvo but To be honest, I've seen better equipted operators at Port Vila at Vanuatu.

Ours wasn't a full on fishing trip, just a relaxing holiday to recharge the batteries. On the water front at Raro business centre there is a seafood restaruant run by a expat Aussie ( forget his name now) he had a 20+ ft CC tinne which he used to charter out too. According to my boss, who was there a month before me, he was the best on the island but the boat was being repaired the week we where there. There is a fishing club there too, I reckon if ya got friendly with the locals you could wrangle a trip out.

Hire a bike (motor scooter) and tour the island, you can ride around the whole island in just under an hour. We stayed in a house we rented off the net, which was beach front on Muri (spelling??) Lagoon. We went to sleep each nite listening to the surf on the reef. There is heaps more to do, you'll see when you get there. I have photo's somewhere if your interested, but most are video's tho.

Thats just 2 of the islands, still 15 more to visit .... we stayed 2 weeks could of stayed a life time.

Cheers,
Tony 8-)