PDA

View Full Version : Small pelagic hooked on fly

Nathan
04-06-2003, 10:46 PM
# # #I was canoeing back to the jetty to return the canoe after a hard day of spinning up mackerel, trevally and all sorts of other tropical goodies when the water erupted on the other side of the jetty for 10 seconds or so before subsiding. I paddled over to the other side, and on my way, the water erupted right around the canoe. I could have grabbed the fish by hand, but I cast out a smashed up Rapala CD8 for an instant hookup. I played the fish for a short while, landed it then kept going towards a small shower of baitfish that was just starting. First one, then two then three baitfish would leap, then come up in showers before completely erupting in froth and foam. I cast a fly but missed the school- it was moving too fast. However, several fish broke off and one took it right next to the canoe, then screamed off at light speed. I caught several while they hung around. This is a picture of just one of them. Gee it's fun trying to keep them away from giant spaniards! Strikes on the surface in clear water are unforgettable.

Note the cloud of baitfish under the bonito

Fly: Orange clouser.
Rod: #7
Date: 23/12/02