PDA

View Full Version : Big longtail on fly.

golden_retriever.
24-06-2003, 12:27 PM
Heres a photo of my biggest longtail yet on the fly. ;D It was caught on saturday in almost glassy conditions even know the forcast was for 20-25 knot winds. The fish was estimated at about 18-19kgs.
Cheers Jason. ;D ;D ;D [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

Jack_Lives_Here
24-06-2003, 12:30 PM
Damn good fish dat one. [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]
Spewing about the weather.
Was that on you T3 Orvis??

golden_retriever.
24-06-2003, 12:33 PM
G'day Dave,
Yeh it was on the T3. I,ve been really happy with the rod. It casts with ease and fights fish really well.

mackmauler
24-06-2003, 01:54 PM
Nice fish Jason:o looks like a yellowfin its that fat. How long did the fight go for.
rob

Wesley_Pang
24-06-2003, 02:28 PM
Great Fish Jason,

I saw the strong wind warning and pulled out.

I guess you guys had the fish to yourself.

Wes

Quinny69
24-06-2003, 02:42 PM
Thats a F*%kn screamer,Hope there still there on the weekend. Good stuff..........Matt Q

thunnus
24-06-2003, 03:38 PM
nice one jason that is an awsome effort - was there many fish out there?

cheers, Justin

Matt
24-06-2003, 04:35 PM
Stonker!!! Awesome effort and great photo!

Matt.

golden_retriever.
24-06-2003, 05:29 PM
Thanks fellas.
The fish took about 45 minutes to land which wasn't as long as i thought it would take but the fish ran about 250m on the first run and had the line off the reel another 5 times after that. I think thats why the fish didn't do me as much near the boat.
There was no other boats chasing the fish so scott and I had them all to ourselves.

Voltzy
24-06-2003, 05:34 PM
great fish- congrats jason!!

team_mongo
24-06-2003, 05:55 PM
Ahhhh Kurumba!
Now thats a whole lotta tooona!

Thats definitely a 10/10! [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

George

Scott_Matthews
25-06-2003, 07:14 AM
How's the head J. hahahaahahaah
Sunday 22/06/03, Imagine this, 20kt wind, school of fish busting 60ft from the boat, good set with the boat, false casts in the air, go for the final cast, release the line and WHACK then THUD. Iget my cast away and look to the bow and see jason on the floor of the boat saying $&ck about ten times. I hook up and then ask if he's ok,he says $&CK a few more times, he picks himself up and tries to cast again only to have the fly wrap around the rod about 10 times and then ties a neat 1/2 hitch around the rod,and i hear $&ck a few more times, I'm laughing that hard i can't wind my fish when he stops running.Eventually i get my fish back to the boat and jason scoops it, fly is removed and the fish is about to be released. Fish in jason's hands over the side of the boat and the fish decides to go for freedom shaking jason on the side of the boat, the fish goes into to the water along with a $260 pair of stalkers, a few more $&ck's follow. About an hour later he's finally hooked up to another fish and well on the way to having it landed and something decides that the flyline is to long, SNIP. Sunday the day Jason should have stayed in bed.
Final tally Scott:8 longy's
Jason : 0

Stalker glasses $260
1x flyline $140
Fuel $40
My memory : PRICELESS

PS: I laughed so hard i gave myself a headache
The joy's of Tuna fishing

Quinny69
25-06-2003, 07:38 AM
How many pairs of polaroids is that for Waterhaul this season?Its at least 3,,,,,,,,You guys know that the lil rubber straps are only $1? or is it gifts to the Tuna gods?Maybe we should start chucking ours over the side.

Jack_Lives_Here
25-06-2003, 08:58 AM
You might be onto something there Quinny. Do you think those el cheapo servo sunnies would be accepted as a sacifice??

Quinny69
25-06-2003, 09:34 AM
What about broken 1s, go a heap of them.If they dont take the cheapies it wont work 4 me, thats all I got. Glarefoils rule. [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

johhno
25-06-2003, 05:01 PM
sounds like great fishing justin and scott! and great fish!

greg and i ventured out too last saturday as only flyfishers will into the strong wind forecast and in the depths of winter, braving all the elements.....

i've never seen it so glassy ;D

here's a couple from up there..not so big but beautiful looking fish.

johhno
25-06-2003, 05:03 PM
and another.....boat's well and truly christened now

mackmauler
25-06-2003, 06:07 PM
Johhno,nice longtail, I have a honda as well, they look better without the yellow stickers ;) took them off 600hrs ago and hasnt caused a problem yet ;D
rob

johhno
26-06-2003, 04:09 AM
rob
they're not stickers, they're clouser guards :)
how have you found the honda? it's a first for me...had yammies and johnsons before
johnno

mackmauler
26-06-2003, 06:09 AM
Good point about a guard johhno, thats the problem with flyfishing :-/ my honda has marlin bill scrapes there now, still looks better than stickers ;D so far it has never failed, changed the prop to a solas helped the top end speed a bit, only trouble has been the tell tale, had to drill it out a bit, kept blocking.
rob

Big_Kev
26-06-2003, 02:43 PM
Great fish Goldie, Great Photo as well.
Must be good, seems to be a contingent deliberately voting against you.
Gave you a deserved Vote.
Cheers Kev

mackmauler
26-06-2003, 05:14 PM
Yeah whats this 1 stuff ??? fair enough a mac tuna should get a 1 but a big longtail :-/ something has got to change with this comp if it goes ahead in the future, total crap at the moment imo.

Jack_Lives_Here
27-06-2003, 08:30 AM
Spot on Rob. A 1 for a fish like that :o what's doing there folks >:(
It is basically hooking and landing an 18kg fish on a whiting rod - that is an effort and a half AND it went back to fight another day. [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

fisher
28-06-2003, 07:12 PM
Nice fish Jason well done [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]!!!still hangin for the photo of mine from Shawn as in sheep,Nice photo of lenthals you posted too!!Wonderfull place!!!!.Regards Paul.

Holy_Mackerel
01-07-2003, 01:08 PM
Hey Jason,
Congrats on that fish mate. Heck of a fish on fly and a heck of a good photo. Well done champ.

kelvin
10-07-2003, 09:55 PM
Hehehe... that was a good one Scotto... I remember a similar incident where Jase was swearing his head off...
fishing the harbour leads at Weipa, we troll pass one of the leads and WHACK, double hookup on GTs... 'so Jase is fighting his fish and I'm fighting mine... next thing I know KABOOM...(Jase's fish does him around the harbour lead and breaks him off)... Jase hits the floor of the boat flat... dead... winded... but with just enough air to cough a few swear words out...

Moments like that... PRICELESS.

But damn good fish Jase... nice to see you and Scotto are getting into them.