PDA

View Full Version : Quick question on searches

Cheech
19-01-2005, 03:59 PM
Each now and then a question comes up that I know has been fully covered previously. Can usually recall the time as well. ie 6 or 12 months ago. So would be good to just find it and post a hyperlink.

Problem is that without knowing the topic name etc you cannot use the basic search. Or at least I can't use it properly.

And to go through the pages, it only has options of 1, 2, 3,,,,250.

There is no way to just go to page 50 or page 100, or whatever.

Is it just my settings?

I considered looking at my own previous post list, but that only goes to a max of 50.

Just that I had a long post I put up a while ago on a subject that someone was after, and don't want to have to type it all again.

straddie
19-01-2005, 05:25 PM
Hi Cheech try and narrow the search by things that may have been specific to the topic, eg your name as member, two or 3 rarer specific words you know you would have used, restrict the date range you believe it would have been in eg 180 - 360 days and click one result per thread. Unclick all the default forums and only click the ones you would have posted it in.

ba229
19-01-2005, 06:56 PM
yep restricting the post dates sometimes helps.

I too find the search feature a pain at times and just spend 20 min going back by 2 pages at a time and hope i don't miss what i want.

i have found that searching by member doesn't work for me but if it is within the last 50 posts of that member you can always try through seeing the members last 50 posts.

do this by clicking their name to see their profile page and it is down the bottom

imported_admin
21-01-2005, 04:52 PM
Shoudl be abel to find it by searching for a keyword in the message section of the post. Try and pick a keyword that you think is spcific to that post. Make sure you select to search in the subject and in the message of the posts. Also select "Display only one result per thread?" and then set the Max Age since last post: to say 300.

Hope this helps, if not let me know