PDA

View Full Version : OT Refreshing Ausfish Pages?

imported_admin
18-08-2005, 05:39 AM
The upgrade should have fixed the problem.

Let me know if you have any trouble.

bidkev
18-08-2005, 07:40 AM
Loaded Windows XP ready for my "broadband experience" ;D

Since then Ausfish has refused to refresh unless I pushed the refresh button. Under win98 it used to refresh automatically.

Under IE options/settings I have checked for it to check for newer versions of page everytime I visit a page but it doesn't seem to be doing this. Some of the pages are yesterdays and I onl;y get new posts by pressing refresh. It is even telling me I have PM's when I deleted these over 24 hrs ago??

Is this an XP bug or is there something I have missed?

cheers

kev

bidkev
18-08-2005, 07:42 AM
For example when I posted the above it showed the post as posted but when I went back to the General page it wasn't there. It only appeared with a clisk of the refresh button??????

cheers

kev

CHRIS_aka_GWH
18-08-2005, 07:51 AM
did you go back using the "Back" arrow - in which case that should be expected

or did you go to the menu?

bidkev
18-08-2005, 07:57 AM
did you go back using the "Back" arrow - in which case that should be expected

or did you go to the menu?

Went to the menu Chris. I just shut IE down and when your response showed in my mail box I came back via Main Page. On clicking on the thread it only showed my *first* post despite me having visited my 2nd post earlier.

I only got my 2nd post and your response when I clicked refresh. never come across this before, except as you say, by simply clicking back.

cheers

kev

imported_admin
18-08-2005, 08:50 AM
Sounds like a setting in IE. I don't yse it, haven't done for years, so can't help too much.

Why not install Firefox, it is faster than IE anyway and has far less bugs and security issues.

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/central.html

gogecko
18-08-2005, 09:22 AM
Its using your cached pages. To change this,Go to
IE>tools>internet options>general>temp internet files>settings>
and set it to "check for new version of stored pages = automatically"

TonyM
18-08-2005, 09:23 AM
Hi Steve,

I've been experiencing the same prob over the last few days and I haven't made any settings changes in msie ???

Re msie I can understand what you're saying although I imagine if you look at the site statistics you'll find that probably over 90% of users have it, I'm not saying it's the best as I gave up on the browser holy war when I left Microsoft ;) ;D Just saying that's what most peeps use as it's there by default and we're too lazy to change it ::)

I haven't bothered to look into it as yet, although my gut feel was that it's either a change has been made on this site (maybe meta refresh setting in your server side scripts as I know that can cause probs?) or maybe an XP update has "fixed" something it shouldn't have ;D

TonyM
18-08-2005, 09:26 AM
Its using your cached pages. To change this,Go to
IE>tools>internet options>general>temp internet files>settings>
and set it to "check for new version of stored pages = automatically"

That's not the problem gogecko - that's the default setting and is how my browser is set - my gut tells me it's to do with either a setting within the pages on this site or another new "feature" (read bug) in msie after an xp update

TonyM
18-08-2005, 09:32 AM
Steve, Another thing I just remembered - have had users experience this problem on sites at times due to problems with the http server settings, have any changes been made on the server lately? maybe an upgrade? I've noticed the site was unavailable a few times over the last week so thought that could be another possibility?

Kiktz
18-08-2005, 09:57 AM
I have had the same thing where i go to open up a page and it comes up with an internal error, contact ausfish webmaster. It happens on and off over the last month or so.

Sportfish_5
18-08-2005, 10:20 AM
Firefox or Netscape is far better than old IE. Love those tabs ;D ;D ;D ;D

BUT - I still get the "Internal Server Error" constantly as well. Kev - if you hit back then you are just loading the previous page from the cache memory. If you click on the chat link at the top of the page it will reload a new page. Maybe you had a very small amount of cache allocated in the older Windows IE ???

Cheers

Greg

bidkev
18-08-2005, 10:37 AM
Firefox or Netscape is far better than old IE. Love those tabs ;D ;D ;D ;D

BUT - I still get the "Internal Server Error" constantly as well. Kev - if you hit back then you are just loading the previous page from the cache memory. If you click on the chat link at the top of the page it will reload a new page. Maybe you had a very small amount of cache allocated in the older Windows IE ???

Cheers

Greg

Greg, Gogecko, it isn''t that. This was the first thing I thought of. I have it set to check automatiically for new pages. I've just loaded Firefox and am using that now and the same thing is happening.........I click on the url on the notification of a reply in my mail box and the url takes me to the last time I visited the page. I have to refresh to get the responses.

Of course, as I have loaded the settings from IE into Firefox any bugs in there will atomatically be loaded also, I assume.

It seems strange that this only happened since loading winmx .......maybe coincidence, but for example, I had a post appear 3 times yesterday when I assumed it wouldn't appear at all. When I hit the send button I got an internal error message. When I hit the back button I went back about 4 pages not one ???

cheers

kev

bidkev
18-08-2005, 10:39 AM
That message I just posted didn't appear as it usualy does either. Again, I had to hit refresh to get it. I suppose I'll have to do the same with this one.

kev

bidkev
18-08-2005, 10:48 AM
One thing's for sure though, This Firefox loads the pages a damn sight quicker than IE. Thanks for that Steve. I've also downloaded Thunderbird as my email client and that is a lot quicker than OE.

Now all I need is a decent newsreader.....free of course ;D

cheers

kev

gogecko
18-08-2005, 12:21 PM
Kintin, get an apple mac!!!

OK, so your stuck with windoze, like I am at the office. I agree with Tony, it sounds serious and its not cache.

You could always return your operating system to a previous saved point. Do you realise that you can 'go back' a few weeks, and restore the whole XP to where it was before you added whatever programs you added? Search on 'restore' under windows help.

Just backup anything that is recent and important.

This process will prove whether its you or the server with the problem.

bidkev
18-08-2005, 12:39 PM
Kintin, get an apple mac!!!

<snip>
Do you realise that you can 'go back' a few weeks, and restore the whole XP to where it was before you added whatever programs you added?

<snip>

Mate, the only thing I've added is windows xp itself. everything was ok till I did that. I tried the restore earlier, but zippo ::)

cheers

kev

frankj
18-08-2005, 01:17 PM
I bought a new laptop a few months ago and I think I have had this issue since then. But you know how these things are, they sort of sneak up on you, one day you think, I'm sure it didn't used to do that, but you can't say when it first started.
Or is that me getting senile?
If it did coincide with the new notebook, then it comes down to change in operating system.

Cheers
Frank

Burley_Boy
18-08-2005, 04:49 PM
Thanks for the tip on Mozilla.
Don't want to hijack the post but if someone has a quick fix I just loaded it. What I lost on the laptop was the clicking sound when I select something and the ability to scroll using the edge of the touchpad. These features still work on IE.
I get the Internal server error messages too.

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
18-08-2005, 05:09 PM
I have had the same problem not being able to read posts immediately after posting them. I have always had to either refresh or go out of the site completely and come back in. I run XP Home. And I often get the internal server problem message also.

Dave

bidkev
20-08-2005, 09:14 AM
The upgrade should have fixed the problem.

Let me know if you have any trouble.

Still getting this page when I click on reply, the one with the ads for ausfish products and it didn't refresh

http://www.ausfish.com.au/cgi-ausfish/yabb2/YaBB.cgi?
action=post;num=1124254749;title=PostReply

The only way that I could reply was to click on quote which took me to the ads page and then refresh.

cheers

kev

imported_admin
21-08-2005, 05:53 PM
It would apear to be your ISP that may be Caching the pages

iprimus.com.au

Make sure your settings are correct and are forcing the pages toload from the server not your cache or your ISP's cache.

Sorry but it is the only thing I can think of at this stage. Will keep looking at it though but it all points to the above problem. Doyou know anyone else that is having this problem, and are they on Iprimus?

bidkev
21-08-2005, 06:24 PM
It would apear to be your ISP that may be Caching the pages

iprimus.com.au

Make sure your settings are correct and are forcing the pages toload from the server not your cache or your ISP's cache.

Sorry but it is the only thing I can think of at this stage. Will keep looking at it though but it all points to the above problem. Doyou know anyone else that is having this problem, and are they on I
primus?

Dunno but now that I think about it, this problem coincides with some dial up primus customers being unable to access web and email for 2 days. My being unable to access coincided with my switching to broadband which wasn't having problems. Perhpas my probs are residual from primus's problems with dial up? I find it strange though, that if it is due to them caching then why is it only happening with the Ausfish site?

Irrespective Steve, the site is *that* good that a bit of extra time taken refreshing pages is hardly going to distract from it's real value for money :D

Thanks for the freebie and keep up the good work.

cheers

kev