PDA

View Full Version : 20 to 50% Closures - SEA Calls On Government

Derek_Bullock
02-01-2006, 01:35 PM
In New South Wales a new environment group (Saltwater Environment Group - SEA) founded in September 2005 calls for closures.

http://www.marine.org.au/sea/sanctuaries.htm

Cheers

Derek

What is a Marine Sanctuary?

Marine sanctuaries are areas where swimming, snorkelling, boating and diving may occur but extractive activities such as mining and fishing are prohibited.

Marine sanctuaries allow fish stocks to replenish within its boundaries whilst they can also increase the size and number of marine life outside the sanctuary - therefore benefiting fishing.

Marine sanctuaries have been proved as being effective conservation tools throughout the world. Significant areas of sanctuary will help to protect our oceans' ecological, social and economic value for the future.

What is the recommended amount of sanctuary?

Scientific advice recommends between 20 and 50% of all marine waters be protected as sanctuary.

How much of NSW waters are currently protected as sanctuary?

Less than 3% of NSW waters are currently fully protected as sanctuary. This is totally inadequte if we hope to protect our marine life for the future.

What are the benefits of marine sanctuaries?

Marine sanctuaries have a multitude of benefits for both marine life and for us.

They are an effective conservation tool as they:

* Increase biomass, abundance and population age of marine life
* Increase size of resident fish which consequently increases their productivity
* Enable habitat recovery
* Can increase the number and size of fish iin surrounding waters through a 'spillover effect'.
* Can contribute to increased tourism as the asthetic qualities of the area increase
* Can be an effective tool for research and education
* Are not limited by habitat types, species of inhabitant marine life or geographic location
* Positive effects are seen for both sedentary and mobile species
* Can be effective conservation tools whether small or large
* Can result in rapid, dramatic, positive results which continue for prolonged periods of time
* Help to promote the recovery of many depleted species that may have been overfished.
* Reduce the probability of extinction of threatened species
* Contribute towards a more secure environmental, economic and social future

MEDIA RELEASE

http://www.marine.org.au/sea/media.htm

Thursday 15 December 2005

New Proof that Marine Sanctuaries Work

The Saltwater Environment Alliance (SEA) today welcomed the latest research that shows that marine sanctuaries are effective at helping the recovery of fish populations.

This week, Professor Bruce Mapstone from the Cooperative Research Centre for the Great Barrier Reef World Heritage Area (CRC) announced that the results of an 11-year study into the effects of line fishing on the Great Barrier Reef showed that using marine sanctuaries, or no-take zones to allow spawning is highly successful.

The research has shown that marine sanctuaries are effective in protecting fish stocks. This protection allows them to breed more successfully and directly contributes to the recovery of fish populations.

Nicky Hammond, spokesperson for the National Parks Association of NSW said "We know that many fish stocks in NSW waters, such as snapper are overfished as a result of commercial and recreational fishing. We now have a local example of how marine sanctuaries can help fish stocks recover supporting existing international research."

"With less than 3 per cent of NSW waters in marine sanctuaries, we still fall a long way short of the 20%-50% marine sanctuaries that have been recommended to protect all fish stocks," Ms Hammond said

Megan Kessler, Fisheries and Marine Networker for the Nature Conservation Council of NSW said "It has long been clear that marine sanctuaries or 'no-take' zones are the most practical solution to the decline in marine biodiversity in NSW."

"This latest research by the CRC simply highlights the fact that marine sanctuaries will also benefit commercial and recreational fishers and the tourism industries that depend on them. We hope that this information will encourage recreational and commercial fishers to get behind the Port Stephens - Great Lakes Marine Park and start working towards its implementation," Ms Kessler said.

Ms Claire Dunn, spokesperson for The Wilderness Society Newcastle continued "This research highlights the fact that the Port Stephens - Great Lakes Marine Park will be of massive benefit to the local area if appropriate marine sanctuaries are created. We must use this opportunity to ensure that the process to determine the boundaries for protection inside the Park is science driven and based on clear targets for habitat protection ensuring fish spawning grounds and nursery areas receive particular attention."

"This research also demonstrates the inaccuracies currently being spread by some members of the local community about the marine park. Despite the rhetoric of the anti-marine park lobby, it is clear that marine parks and marine sanctuaries are good for the marine environment and the local communities that rely on it."

SEA involves a range of groups who are working together for a better protected, well managed and healthier NSW marine environment. SEA is calling for a system of marine sanctuaries, or 'no-take', zones to be established in NSW waters. For more information on SEA visit www.sea.org.au

Derek_Bullock
02-01-2006, 01:39 PM
Check out this site to see how well organised these conservation groups are.

http://www.marine.org.au/form1.html

Cheers.

Derek

HarryO
02-01-2006, 07:46 PM
:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

# #Makes you think...... # # # # [smiley=end.gif]

# #What can we do about it? # # [smiley=wut.gif]

kc
02-01-2006, 11:12 PM
This is and has been on the agenda for some years.....first the duck hunters...now recreational fishing......ther last great "blood sport".

Amazing that they quote Mapstone.....I have all his work and they in fact show no statistical difference between fished and unfished reefs on the GBR.

What can we do??

VOTE!!

We will work on this but we are fighting a loosing battle unti, we post some "numbers" at the ballot box.

Regards

KC
TFPQ

stevedemon
03-01-2006, 10:25 AM
Hi all
the irony of all this is in the governments (LETS LOOK AT BEING MORE ENVIRONMENTAL) the Beattie Government is looking at destroying the Gold Coast with its Shipping Terminal but i have not seen one person talking about this topic if this goes ahead we as fisher-person's will agian be held to boundaries within the coast but the other irony of this is that the Southern end of South Stradbroke island and Wave Break Island is already a National Park so please inform the public as to how, which and why the Government is going to build a Shipping terminal there does this now mean that the South Stradbroke island land is going to the highest bidder in the land developers or are they just Scr!wing us agian taking away from all the stuff-up this Government has had I think most fisher-person would like to know sorry guy's but I think that with all the conservationist and greenie's you would think they they would have had something to say on this matter destroying more Breeding grounds just for a few more dollars

Cheers ;D ;D
Steve 8-) 8-)
P.S placed this on all for people to reply I think we need to know

Jitlands
03-01-2006, 11:18 AM
On the sanctuary zones,
having been personally affected by the recent changes to the Byron Bay marine park, sanctuary zones being declared opon two areas i fish on a regular basis, it shits me.
Some know all uni jerk, backed by the greens have decided I can not stand on the beach and fish for tailor but its OK to let your dogs chase the seabirds and shit in whe water, its OK to ride horses over the dunes and along the beach & thay can have a bog in the water also.
And to top it off its OK to 4W drive along the beach crushing pippies, dropping oil and ripping up the dunes

Sanctuary my arse, its a stop fishing movement thats about to cross the border into Qld!

kc
03-01-2006, 02:12 PM
Cross the border???? Mate, it started here.....880 kilometers of our northern beaches and an area larger than the entire state of Victoria. What is "new" is that once they have "got away with it" up North, it is now "coming to a store near you" and the real irony is that the variuos green lobbies are holding up the shining "example" of the Great Barrier Reef closures as the new benchmark.

KC

Louis
03-01-2006, 08:23 PM
Where and when will all this madness end.

Louis

Derek_Bullock
03-01-2006, 08:35 PM
Hi all
the irony of all this is in the governments (LETS LOOK AT BEING MORE ENVIRONMENTAL) the Beattie Government is looking at destroying the Gold Coast with its Shipping Terminal but i have not seen one person talking about this topic if this goes ahead we as fisher-person's will agian be held to boundaries within the coast but the other irony of this is that the Southern end of South Stradbroke island and Wave Break Island is already a National Park so please inform the public as to how, which and why the Government is going to build a Shipping terminal there does this now mean that the South Stradbroke island land is going to the highest bidder in the land developers or are they just Scr!wing us agian taking away from all the stuff-up this Government has had I think most fisher-person would like to know sorry guy's but I think that with all the conservationist and greenie's you would think they they would have had something to say on this matter destroying more Breeding grounds just for a few more dollars #

Cheers #;D ;D #
Steve # #8-) 8-)
P.S placed this on all for people to reply I think we need to know

Steve - http://www.ausfish.com.au/cgi-ausfish/yabb2/YaBB.cgi?num=1126739338/0

stevedemon
03-01-2006, 10:50 PM
Hi Derek Bullock will go to this page

Cheers ;D ;D
Steve 8-) 8-)