PDA

View Full Version : Boyle Backs Down On Tin Can Bay Dolphins

Derek_Bullock
18-01-2006, 07:00 PM
Environment, Local Government, Planning and Women, Desley Boyle

17/01/06

Minister assures that Tin Can Bay dolphin feeding will continue

The Environmental Protection Agency and the new owners of a Tin Can Bay café are working on guidelines for the feeding of dolphins at Tin Can Bay.

Environment Minister Desley Boyle moved to reassure people that the popular activity will continue.

"I made a mistake when I moved to ban the feeding and I admit that.

"When politicians make a wrong call the people let them know. That's democracy at work.

"The people have spoken on this issue, I've listened and the Government is genuine in ensuring that the dolphin feeding continues.

"After deciding to allow the feeding to continue I publicly stood back from the issue for a few months to allow the heat to subside," Ms Boyle said.

Ms Boyle said in the meantime, work has been progressing on guidelines under which the feeding can continue.

One of the Minister's staff and an EPA officer recently met with the café owners and the volunteer who coordinates the feeding to discuss how the new arrangements will work.

The new agreement will improve on the arrangements made with the previous owners.

It will cover:
* Timing of feeding
* quantity and quality of fish
* the collection of information on when the dolphins visit, how much they eat, and their behaviour
* safe feeding methods for the dolphins

"This was a successful meeting with good will on all sides. Details of the new agreement are being finalised and it is expected they will be formalised soon.

"I look forward to visiting Tin Can Bay in the near future to meet with the café proprietors once arrangements are in place.

Ends

Media contact: 32278819