PDA

View Full Version : Sydney Harbour Debacle

fish2eat
02-02-2006, 09:48 AM
As we discussed last week on the issue of Dioxin in fish from Sydney Harbour, it is not new, and the authorities have known about it for years.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/toxic-fish-advice-kept-secret/2006/02/01/1138590568658.html

Therefore, you can bet that a 3 month ban will have to be extended to a permanent ban.....hope this doesn't mean more southerners moving to Qld.

I note that they haven't actualy tested the prawns, bet they are worse.....

PAYNE
02-02-2006, 10:10 AM
Prawns feed on the bottom in the affected sediment and then the bream, flathead and whatever else lives in the Harbour feeds on the prawns. The more prawns the fish eat, the higher levels of dioxins they contain. It'd be great to see the harbour turned into a catch and release fishery rather than placing a ban on both commercial AND recreational anglers.

gunna
02-02-2006, 10:30 AM
Homebush Bay is the worst area and fishing has been banned there for years. But you would be amazed at the number of people who set crab pots in all the adjacent areas. At least with fish you could gamble that they may move into cleaner water and have less toxins - but crabs living in the area would have to be loaded wouldn't they ??

rando
02-02-2006, 12:50 PM
Gunna
At least they dont need a torch to get them out of the pots at night ;D ;D ;D

PAYNE
02-02-2006, 12:50 PM
i don't think it's so much the water but the prawns the fish are eating. Contaminated prawns aren't going to stay in the same place therefore fish throughout the harbour will be eating them. I've actually heard that the dioxins in the fish at the heads are just as bad as those fish tested upstream. i'm sure all the information will come out in the wash.

Somehow I don't think I'd be touching the crabs :P