PDA

View Full Version : Save Our Spit Rally

kc
02-02-2006, 10:17 AM
The proposed cruise liner terminal will have major negative consequences for all recreational fishers on the Gold Coast. I would urge you to attend the SOS public rally this Sunday 5th Feb at the spit.
Deals are alreday being done, but, just like the Dolphin feeding issue in Tin Can Bay, enough public noise, particularly with Beattie having copped a hiding over health and feeling a bit jumpy...might just make a difference.

This is "your" backyard, not the reef or some other far off area. Fight for it or lose it.

KC

fish2eat
02-02-2006, 10:49 AM
Sadly, there appears to be solid public support for the project on the Gold Coast, despite the fisho's who are a small minority.

Anna Bligh was just about having an orgasm of excitement when talking to the media about it yesterday, and the Beattie govt think this is a "good news" story that will help them take focus off health.

Sorry to diappoint you, but unless you get well over a thousand people there on Sunday, it is game over. On the Gold Coat "jobs" get far more attention than "fish"

stevedemon
02-02-2006, 12:27 PM
Hi all #
as it has been stated from the flathead classic it is a breeding ground but not just for flathead we have Bream, Talior, Jew fish, it has taken 20yrs for these stock tto start there come back after dregging in 1985. More to the point people are we going to let the same action happen as to what is going on in Sydney Habour with the dioxion and pollutions down there. #
The Government has known about this for longer than the 4 yrs as stated and it has not just come from the Factory's it has also come from the shipping teminals.
People remember that years ago with the Shipping lines bringing in the crown of thorn star fish along with many other outcast of species that have destroy the habits up north, do we really what this to happen to the coast or the pin.
Do we want to be stopped from fishing some of the best spots in the broad water, but more to the point we have to think about whether we want to be able to see clean water ways with lively hoods protected E.G Charter boats, Tralwers (not fishing the broad water) no restrictions as to where we go. #
If we do not pull together on issues concerning fishing then we only have our selves to blame. #
If this terminal goes ahead we can say goodbye to fishing in the broad water, as the fish and the environment well be destroyed for years to come, our way of life being able to camp on or off Wave Break is, camping the lower reaches of Sth Stradbroke or just taking the kids and Family for a pinic at the old Fish and chip on the Broad water park will be gone the Council has already tried to closed the fish and chip place once but lost in court.
the Breeding grounds of yabbies on the back of wave break is, as for the whiting, Flathead along this stretch will be gone.
for those who fish it on a regular base you will have notice that squire, sweetlip, parrot are starting to come in to the Broad water in the mouth of the seaway we have Mackeral, Jew, Gt's and a wide variety sarting to show up again, this will be gone.

So for all those that wish to protect our environment, way of life don't just sit there and think she'll be right mate get your friends, Families and neigbours together for this, we can not afford to sit back and take it that some one else will do it because the more there is the stronger the voice.

Lets tell the Government and the Gold Coast City Council what and how we feel as well to let them know that they have a cruise shipping terminal being built in the Brisbane river, this is ample as for the amount of vessels that will used the terminal is about 10 - 12 per years. To make it viable they will need to have it being used 2 - 3 times per/wk 52 weeks of the years. If this is the case, we will be blocked fishing and charters will have problems coming and going along with the entertainment cruises in the Broad water.

# #Once again i ask that she'll be right want be right lets pull together as people
Remember people are individuals
# individuals make a Community
# #and we #
# #should never forget where
# come from

We need to protect our environment and way of life or lose it forever
#
# So if you can be there and show strength in numbers #

Cheers #
Steve #

PAYNE
02-02-2006, 01:10 PM
Hey K.C.

Unfortunately I'll be in Noosa over the weekend so will miss the rally.

Can you post the details on site for the meeting to form the South Brisbane branch of the Fishing Party. I've got the details elsewhere but a friend was wanting them.

Thanks
Leeann

Gazza
02-02-2006, 01:39 PM
Hi Leeann , please note there is a "new" forum.....called "NEWS"

http://www.ausfish.com.au/cgi-ausfish/yabb2/YaBB.cgi?board=News

I do feel by "views" that MOST??? ,Ausfish members DON'T realise it's there

JMO....kind regards to ALL

p.s. not capslock ,just key-words ;)

kc
02-02-2006, 01:52 PM
Hi Lee & confirming the Fishing Party meeting is at Moreton Bay Trailer Boat club on Tuesday night at 7.30pm. All are welcome as this is an information night and we expect to form a branch of the party on the night for those interested.

The spit issue is really quite desperate and as fish2eat mentioned the Government sees this as a huge benifit, not a negative. It will take massive people power to stop this so anyone who fishes thinking"she'll be right"...well it won't. Get very active or lose this wonderful recreational asset.

KC

sarahjane79
02-02-2006, 03:53 PM
Hey there, I will probably be at the spit on SUnday, I would really like to get in contact with someone who is from the Northern end of the GOld Coast who would be happy to have a photo and story in the Riverlands News. Might give you a little bit more of a voice, at least get your point across. I would like to make contact before sunday to arrange to meet there.
email me sarahh@riverlandsnews.com

kc
02-02-2006, 04:00 PM
Hi Sarah,

Contact laird@listbroker.com.au re this. Just let him know you are following the post on Ausfish.

Regards

KC