PDA

View Full Version : PETA ATTACKS FISHING

seabug
26-02-2006, 01:03 PM
http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,18271637%255E2862,00.html

Half page article in todays Herald/Sun

Seems they intend to try to ban all line fishing.

Regards
Seabug

roz
26-02-2006, 01:27 PM
Seabug,

I couldn't read the article, my computer was having an issue with the link, will try again later.

I far as I am concerned Peta represent views from the extreme loony left, but they seem to have succeeded in hurting our wool industry. Sadly they can't be ignored.

DR
26-02-2006, 01:33 PM
the link opens for me @ the Sun Herald but gives the message

The page you requested could not be found

We could not find the page you requested. This is either because:

* There’s an error in the address or link you have entered in your browser;
* There’s a technical issue and the page has not been properly published;

Derek_Bullock
26-02-2006, 01:34 PM
This has to be one of the most significant threats to Fishing and Fishing competitions we have ever seen and is in line with the National Animal Welfare Legislation.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/cgi-ausfish/yabb2/YaBB.cgi?num=1140922714/0

Please dont ignore this one.

Derek

Mad-One
26-02-2006, 01:38 PM
try this link the other one had a space where it shouldn't have
http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,18271637%255E2862,00.html

Cheers Phil
Ps even noticed that after a few bourbons :o ::) ;D

Derek_Bullock
26-02-2006, 02:11 PM
People laugh at the antics of PETA but do you know that in Germany as a result of a PETA campaign, Germany introduced new laws making it illegal to kill ants and have appointed over 85 ant protection officers to protect the insects.

And Australians say fishing will never be banned here.

Derek

roz
26-02-2006, 02:47 PM
Valid point there Derek.

As one individual, what could I do?

Roz

Derek_Bullock
26-02-2006, 03:16 PM
Roz

Four things to start with. See the important topics above for a few details.

(1) Join an organisation prepared to fight

(2) Participate in and organise rallies in your local area

(3) Write to local, state and federal politicians and object

(4) Write to newspapers and outline your objections.

Remember also, to do any good it's going to take time and money. According to their financial statements PETA have millions of dollars in assetts.

I dont have all the answers and those are just a few.

Cheers

Derek

neilspeil
26-02-2006, 04:51 PM
This is the kind of crap PETA are spreading. This is from a "comic" they have put out aimed at children.

"Until your daddy learns it is not "fun" to kill, keep your doggies and kitties away from him. He is so hooked on killing defenceless animals, they could be next".

http://www.fishinghurts.com/pdfs/DaddyKillsAnimals.pdf

philip_thomson
26-02-2006, 05:50 PM
People laugh at the antics of PETA but do you know that in Germany as a result of a PETA campaign, Germany introduced new laws making it illegal to kill ants and have appointed over 85 ant protection officers to protect the insects.

And Australians say fishing will never be banned here.

Derek

1 Statement covers the lot of this
"THE HUMAN RACE IS DOOMED THROUGH ITS OWN STUPIDITY"

i mean come on fishing being cruel all i can say is i feel sorry for these so called do gooders
i hope that everyone apart of PETA are vegans and don't consume/use anything from a living animal? ;D

fish-n-dive
26-02-2006, 06:11 PM
We need to take some kind of organised action against this kind of do-gooder rubbish.

Not so long ago I had to sell my pistols because no one spoke up loud enough for my rights (including me)............a lifetime hobby gone in less than a year.

It reminds me of a very famous quote:
("First they came for the Communists but I was not a Communist - so I said nothing. Then they came for the Social Democrats, but I was not a Social Democrat - so I did nothing. Then came the trade unionists, but I was not a trade unionist. And then they came for the Jews, but I was not a Jew - so I did little. Then when they came for me, there was no one left who could stand up for me.") by Niemöller

Scott15
26-02-2006, 06:13 PM
WINGE!

gif
26-02-2006, 07:14 PM
PETA has an annual budget of $US29m. ( $A38m)

from memory thats more than the Liberal Party and Labor Party put together.

Feral
26-02-2006, 08:10 PM
Well thats how these mobs work - whittle you away one by one until al of a sudden there is no one left standing shoulder to shoulder with you at the baricade!

For the sheep, they used graphic pictures of old time mulser's cutting half a sheeps bum off, using old hand sheers. Pretty brutal and graphic. Most of the rest of the industry is pretty benign, but instead of trying to stamp out the one or cruel activities, they chose to defend it.

When they come after us, it will be the old footage of shark fins being cut off, and sharks getting tossed back in alive, to drown, it will be images of Tuna fishing where they are skull dragged aboard and beaten with a club. They might even chuck in some footage of the Japanese killing dolphins in their Tuna industry. They use to most shocking images they can get hold of, and try to back the relevant industry into defending the indefensable, making them look like the worst sadists on earth.

We have to be very careful how we re-act, "defending the gross outdated or cruel practices because we dont want to give them an edge", will be our undoing. Fisho's should be prepared to show how WE have cleaned up our act a long time ago, and that sort of stuff is frowned upon by us, and only continued by rogues whom are breaking the law as ity currently stands, with no need for new laws, only enforcement of existing laws!

nonibbles
26-02-2006, 10:18 PM
Yeah, I've calmed down now. Still can't stand anyone who'll use disafected and rebellious kids to suit their agenda. No different to a cult really.

DICER
27-02-2006, 06:42 AM
I think it's better that the door be left shut so that they do not get a comment from recreational anglers. I think that any over-reactional statements, or actions, towards PETA will only inflame the situation such that they do get a media focus. And this is exactly what they want!! Don't give them the chance, by reacting or following village opinion.

fish_outta_water
27-02-2006, 09:52 AM
agree with the earlier comment that targeting children is no different to a cult , but thats generally the way with these extrimist types . incidently the last group to try and ban hunting in europe was the nazis.

el_carpo
27-02-2006, 02:16 PM
Know your enemies. ;)

Some good info and links to even more.

http://www.animalscam.com/#

Fafnir
27-02-2006, 03:50 PM
Has the fishing party tried to get well known identities like Mathew Hayden, or Andrew Symonds onboard? They fish, and the public loves them. Seems that if they were put up as the face of the fishing party, some swinging voters might jump on the band-wagon.

Fafnir
27-02-2006, 03:51 PM
Also wondering if any of the tackle manufacturers are putting in money to defend their industry?

Gazza
27-02-2006, 08:32 PM
Arson, property destruction, burglary, and theft are ‘acceptable crimes’ when used for the animal cause.
- PETA co-founder Alex Pacheco lists the “acceptable” tactics to fight for animal rights, Associated Press (January 3, 1989)

PETA should be thrown in jail ,and then burn the jail down......

lock
28-02-2006, 09:21 AM
Here is site you should look at. # #www.petakillsanimals.com

kc
28-02-2006, 11:28 PM
TFPQ has arranged and attended meetings with BIAQ in Brisbane and AFTA in Sydney on the very topic of industry funding. We just can't compete any more on fresh air.

TFPQ has now been invited to attend the AFTA trade show on the Gold Coast in August when we will pitch to industry for help.

We have done the work, got some seriuos runs (votes) posted and now have a foothold in the main game. All this is for our hobby but for the industries very existance.

We can do no more than we have done...if we fail at least we know that we went down swinging. With the likes of the WWF who wants to ...quote "stich up recreational fishing once and for all" and the PETA push, this political experiment can no longer be a part time party.

It is pretty obviuos to those who have driven this to here that recreational fishers are happy to vote for us, but are just not prepared to join in sufficent numbers to make a real financial impact....so it is left to industry to decide the future....so far, they are listening and we are encouraged. Time will tell but the clock is "ticking away" and the sound is getting louder and louder every day.

Regards

KC

straddie
01-03-2006, 10:42 AM
I have to applaud Derek for being the only one I have seen so far on the few forums I read to make some positive contribution and suggest ways of fighting back against attacks on fishing like this.

We might consider groups like PETA to be the looney fringe but they are well organised, funded and committed to achieving their aims. They don't expect to have fishing or parts of it stopped tomorrow but they are going to slowly chip away until they do, and I am quite confident they will because they have absolutely no opposition.

They are fighting this like a war, they have the propaganda machine working overtime, recruiting, gaining alies in the media, finding the weaknesses of the enemy and preparing to attack those targets when they feel the time is right. They will decide the time and place to fight and we as fishermen will be caught flat footed squeeling like stuck pigs.

They are recruiting and training people to fight, telling them how to attack fishing where to post letters, even suggesting the tone and content to use to gain maximum effect. They won't fight using facts, they won't point out the good parts of fishing they will use emotive speach and imagery to get inside peoples heads and win their hearts and minds. They will make news worthy stories and advertising that the media will eat up by exploiting the very worst of practices that even we abhor and won't let legal let alone moral constraints get in their way of achieving their aims.

We will be on the back foot from the start and go backwards from there because most people will still be calling them crackpots and whinging about they have their facts wrong and whether fish really do feel pain.

It appears the only hope we have is the fishing party which from what I have seen has sat on their hands since the last federal election waiting for the next one. I know you guys are underfunded and need more members but their is plenty of no and low cost avenues you can use. Even your members have been pretty pathetic from what I have seen, "gee I paid my 20 bucks I did all I could to help fishing", grumble and rave about closures but don't do anything positive to either increase membership and funding or anything else for that matter.

So really what hope have we got when PETA do get serious and start their full on anti fishing campaign? SFA.

kc
01-03-2006, 11:03 AM
SFA makes some prety good points but it stings a bit to have a public perception we have "sat on our hands" since the last election.

Detailed and well researched submissions on, Great Sandy Straights, Arlington Reef Pontoon, Animal Welfare Bill, GRRMPA review.....regular newsletters, web site, meetings with variuosly...BIAQ, AFTA, Boswell, Joyce, Senate review panel....dialog and corespondence with variuosly...EPA, DEH state & federal......a heap of work on the structural adjustments packages.

Radio & newspaper articals, fishing mag editorials, full page in Nafa..........new branches formed in Brisbane North, Brisbane South, Fraser Coast and (this Thursday) Townsville. We are the fastest growing political party in Queensland with membership over 1000 in just under 2 years.

All this out of personal pockets and from people who alreday have full time jobs and in most cases businesses...............if this constitutes "sitting on our hands", then fair dinkum...your a hard bloody marker.

Sorry to prickle up but this is a bit harsh in the face for all that has been done.

Yes it is far from enough but as recently as yesterday we have additional skilled PR people joining who can help us move forward....if "what you have seen" has led you to believe we are sitting on our hands...then, with respect, you have not been paying much attention.

Maybe this is half the problem....no one pays much attention....until it's too bloody late!!

Regards

KC

straddie
01-03-2006, 11:55 AM
Alright KC I was unaware you guys had so much other stuff going on it seemed that you had been very quiet since the last election so maybe sitting on your hands was a bit strong. I guess there is some self interest here for me as I don't like the idea of having fishing banned because I love it and want my kids to have the same pleasure fishing as I did growing up.

If I didn't come onto ausfish and another board I wouldn't have a clue that you guys even existed let alone were putting in the hard yards on some big issues, nor would I know about PETA trying to have fishing banned. I'm betting there are 10000's of fishos in the same boat, just fishing along oblivious to whats happening, it's a shame you couldn't find a way that they couldn't find out as well.

So what are you doing to try and counter PETA and what suggestions do you have that we could help fight them at their own game? It sounds like you guys need resources, maybe you could suggest ways we could help be it financially or physically just getting word out?

kc
01-03-2006, 01:49 PM
No offense...a good kick in the nuts helps clarify things some times and you are right. What ever we have been doing as communcation strategies, are not working. It is a big and very important issue. That said we are less then 2 years "old" and "brand" TFPQ does now have some public recognition. The "Greens" have been at this caper for almost 30 years.

We post on chat boards, publish in most fishing magazines and get the odd mention in mainstream press but it is not enough.

We have some clear strategies for how to fight PETA but it would not be wise to broadcast them all here. We also have some strategies for a major recruiting drive in the SE corner....now that the penny has dropped that the GBR style closures are "coming to a store near you".

To this point we have been, I believe, a bit too "polite"......subject to direction from the executive and membership things might be about to get a whole lot more "interesting" and with that will come media appeal....don't they just love a bit of controversy.

In broad brush terms you don't counter PETA by trying to defend fishing, you counter them by attacking PETA....these guys are "fundamental vegetarians"...every bit as rabid as "fundamentalists" of any ilk. They seek to impose their beliefs on everyone else...regardless of public opinion or public good. They have no regard for the law and no regard for anyone elses opinions other than their own.......do some homework, get some simple facts and launch into these people for what they are...no different to any minority who think their way is the only way.
This is Australia, we fish....if you don't like that "we" fish...piss off back to America...we won't try to force feed you a good steak but don't try to shove Tofu down our throats either!!

Anyhow...any suggestions (& the occassional kick in the nuts) are welcome. We have to be big enough to work through this but at least if we are going to go down...it will be swinging.

If anyone wants a "form" style letter to send to their local paper drop me an email kc@whitsunday.net.au

Regards

KC

kc
01-03-2006, 02:37 PM
Press Release attached......return of serve started in what will be a 5 set game

KC

Press Release : 1/3/06

P E T A views not welcome in Australia

Chairman of The Fishing Party (Qld) Kevin Collins said he watched with horror the self styled defenders of animal rights PETA telling us that recreational fishing was next on the hit list for the environazi movement to have banned.

“Who are these people, and what gives them the right to force their extreme vegetarianism views into our society? We are Australians; we fish….if they don’t like it, then piss-off back to America.”

“ These people have no respect for our laws, no respect for our culture and lifestyle and no respect for the businesses, which live from recreational fishing”

“They are no different from any other minority group who decide they know what is best for us and use their substantial resources and political connections to have their opinions shoved down our throats.”

“We will not force them to eat meat but they have absolutely no right to try to turn us into vegetarians and our children against their parents by way of their deceitful “your father kills animals” posters.”

“For every Government who has done deals with the greens to secure power at the expense of every day Australians, be warned. I Fish & I Vote is no longer just a bumper sticker.”

The Fishing Party (Qld) formed 6 months before the last Federal election in a desperate response to the governments radical closures to fishing access throughout the North of Queensland and polled some 30,000 votes at its first attempt with its preferences instrumental in winning Barnaby Joyce the last Queensland Senate seat. It is now the fastest growing political party in the state and with over 1000 members will soon register for the next Queensland State election.

Ends

Contact Kevin Collins 0414 785 462

Bros
08-03-2006, 02:18 PM
Funny about their outlook. You look into their web site and they have no policy on abortion so it is OK to kill unborn humans but not animals.

Hypocrits

Derek_Bullock
08-03-2006, 07:03 PM
No offense...a good kick in the nuts helps clarify things some times and you are right. What ever we have been doing as communcation strategies, are not working. It is a big and very important issue. That said we are less then 2 years "old" and "brand" TFPQ does now have some public recognition. The "Greens" have been at this caper for almost 30 years.

We post on chat boards, publish in most fishing magazines and get the odd mention in mainstream press but it is not enough.

We have some clear strategies for how to fight PETA but it would not be wise to broadcast them all here. We also have some strategies for a major recruiting drive in the SE corner....now that the penny has dropped that the GBR style closures are "coming to a store near you".

To this point we have been, I believe, a bit too "polite"......subject to direction from the executive and membership things might be about to get a whole lot more "interesting" and with that will come media appeal....don't they just love a bit of controversy.

In broad brush terms you don't counter PETA by trying to defend fishing, you counter them by attacking PETA....these guys are "fundamental vegetarians"...every bit as rabid as "fundamentalists" of any ilk. They seek to impose their beliefs on everyone else...regardless of public opinion or public good. They have no regard for the law and no regard for anyone elses opinions other than their own.......do some homework, get some simple facts and launch into these people for what they are...no different to any minority who think their way is the only way.
This is Australia, we fish....if you don't like that "we" fish...piss off back to America...we won't try to force feed you a good steak but don't try to shove Tofu down our throats either!!

Anyhow...any suggestions (& the occassional kick in the nuts) are welcome. We have to be big enough to work through this but at least if we are going to go down...it will be swinging.

If anyone wants a "form" style letter to send to their local paper drop me an email kc@whitsunday.net.au

Regards

KC

KC

I think that Straddie has a good point. I am aware that you are doing quite a bit behind the scenes however it isnt getting out there to the average person.

I have a permanent search on the news for "The Fishing Party" yet in the past 12 months I doubt that I have had more than half a dozen hits and most of that was to do with NSW Marine Parks.

Even your press release of 1 March above (and I know they cost dollars to get out) hasnt gone anywhere. Well not that I can find.

Not sure how but you need to be able to get your message out somehow.

Cheers

Derek

PinHead
10-03-2006, 02:10 PM
What is theo nthing than any politician (from any party) wants more than anything??
You got it...to be re-elected.

I know some of them are not all that bright but I am sure they have a good grasp of how many people are recreational anglers...they will not let PETA have their way.

The best thing to do with groups like PETA is to ignore them...if they get no attention they just fade away...fishing will never be banned in Qld..if it is then it will be political suicide for the Govt concerned

kc
10-03-2006, 11:52 PM
Greg is right & wrong...just like I have been lots of times. Yes they won't "ban fishing" because it is too politically unpopular.....just like "they never "banned" fur coats or animal laboritory testing.

The animal welfare "lobby" depopularise it...they manage. through a well funded PR campaign to make it "socially unacceptable" and the politicians sit on their hands and let it happen.

Fishing, particularly game fishing & catch and release are next.

Politicians will not speak out for fear of the green vote. There is, to date, no "fishing vote" and if there is no "fishing vote" (meassurable) then fishers will just vote the way they always have and the staus quo is maintained.

TFPQ threatens the status quo and the power of the greens. We outpoll the greens and it changes the entire mix of Australian politics.

We all saw pictures of Bush & Carey in the USA presidential elections out hunting with the "good old boys" yet in Australia there were plenty of pics of Howard and Latham hugging trees, furry animals and the Great Barrier Reef........get the picture?? NO FISHING PHOTO OPPS

They don't care less about the "fishing vote" because there isn't one. On the other hand the "green vote" is all powerful and we cop it in the neck as a result.

I might be mistaken but, IMO, TFPQ is on the right track and if anyone thinks we will get a good deal from our politicians just because lots of us fish I think they place too much faith in the integrity of politicians.

KC

PinHead
11-03-2006, 06:00 AM
Hiya Kev....not placing faith in the integrity of politicians just in their self centred position of ensuring they garner enough votes for re-election.

At a State level ...in South East Qld we are presently experiencing level 2 water restrictions...this may extend to level 3 if we do not get sufficient rainfall to top up the dams. The media has already started putting the blame for this where it belongs. ie the Goss Govt pandering to the greens and not going ahead with the Wolffdene dam project a few years back. We are experiencing these water restrictions due to the greens...had Wolffdene dam been built we would more than likely not have these restrictions. the greens are to blame for the restrictions and quite a few people are talking about this. Finally the greens are not the flavour of the month or the year in many circles and I have noticed that lately it has been rare to find anything in the media from any green groups...maybe keeping their heads down ...too scared to cop the fallout from their past endeavours.

Gazza
11-03-2006, 07:57 AM
PETA ,attacks "being allowed to fish with hooks".....
Greens, attack where you are "still allowed" to fish.....with hooks.

summary ,"RecFishos are being attacked" above and below the waterline >:(

JMO, TFP doesn't need to re-invent the wheel(s) ,just have links to sites like
http://www.woolisbest.com/about_peta/index.html

Out of school comment ,but, TFP may even get a dollar or 3 donation, from such a BIG australian organisation. (complimentary objectives)

ya never,never,know 8-)

waldo35
19-03-2006, 08:02 AM
mmmmmmm would not this suggest that some of the beliefs about the pro industry held by reccos are actually green/peta propaganda that has been foisted apon u by the same organizations now are targetting ur organizations. time for all fishers to unite, resolve our conflicts and present a unified front to these single interest lunatics. god forbid we allow these crazies to get the fireant protected.

BAIT_MAN
19-03-2006, 08:43 AM
mmmmmmm would not this suggest that some of the beliefs about the pro industry held by reccos are actually green/peta propaganda that has been foisted apon u by the same organizations now are targetting ur organizations. # time for all fishers to unite, resolve our conflicts and present a unified front to these single interest lunatics. god forbid we allow these crazies to get the fireant protected.

What has been missed in the whole charade is that by and large, most rec fishos would consider themselves as “green”. We care about the environment and spend more time in it than most of the educated elite who make the rules ever will, it is just that they have managed to make the word “green” a derogatory description and we need to use other words to indicate our environmental tendencies.

As you said waldo35 the recreational fishing vote either organises itself in an effective voice, or it will be swallowed up by those who would see recreational fishing banished to the realms of a socially unacceptable pastime practiced by an eccentric few.

waldo35
19-03-2006, 03:52 PM
shane. as u point out u can be an enviromentalist in ur approach to the resource with out being a rabid 'greenie'......i think the word has become corrupted to indicate that kind of lunacy. mind u there is also an arguement that in their extremism they provide a check/balance to the rapacious greed of the multinationals.