View Full Version : Illegal boat ramp consequences

Lucky_Phill
03-07-2006, 06:12 PM
Department of Primary Industries and Fisheries
Queensland Government

Media Release

3 July 2006

Penalties for unlawful works

Local property owner Greg Reardon has been convicted in the Hervey Bay Magistrates court for unlawful performed works in a Declared Fish Habitat Area.

Department of Primary Industries and Fisheries Queensland Boating and Fisheries Patrol (QBFP) officer Gary Wood said the defendant had constructed a concreted boat ramp into the Susan River without attempting to obtain an authority and was fined a total of $1000 and ordered to pay court costs.

“Unlawful works in a declared fish habitat area is an offence punishable by up to $225,000 and DPI&F considers offences of this nature to be very serious,”
Mr Wood said.

“DPI&F will take necessary action to protect fish habitats and will prosecute to the full extent of the law should land owners not obtain the appropriate approvals before performing any works in a declared fish habitat area.

"DPI&F is considering taking further action to rehabilitate and restore the declared fish habitat area and under legislation any reasonable costs associated with this action will become a debt payable to the State by the person who caused the damage to the fish habitat.

“Fisheries laws are in place to protect and conserve Queensland’s fish stocks and marine habitats, and failure to comply with the laws is detrimental to long term stocks and also to the law abiding fishers in the area.

“If people see or have any information on suspected illegal fishing activity call the QBFP Fishwatch Hotline on 1800 017 116," Mr Wood said.

For more information about Queensland’s recreational fishing rules visit the DPI&F Fishweb site at www.dpi.qld.gov.au/fishweb or call 13 25 23.

Further information:

Cassandra France Marketing and Communications Coordinator
(07) 3404 3367

Department of Primary Industries and Fisheries
Strategic Communication & Marketing
GPO Box 46 Brisbane Qld 4001 Ph 07 3239 6380
DPI&F Call Centre 13 25 23 (weekdays 8 am to 6 pm)

Phill !!!!!!!!!!!!!

choppa
03-07-2006, 06:59 PM
phil,,,,,a page came across my desk today that (i think) related to this bloke,,,,,,,,

is he the one who built the ramp due to the only other access to this section of water was on private property,,,thus hindering DPI&F inspectors launching there boats to do random checks on illegal netters

(illegal netters,,,,,,,read my b/day wishes in general,,,,court day in 2 weeks they tell me